Roll Call for New Orleans

Husker_Du

Sure wished Mizzou was competing in the duals.  But I also remember when they wrestled at Reno and had some good results.  Got to think New Orleans would be a fun place to watch wrestling and check out the local scene.  Too bad we don't see more college wrestling programs in the south.  Was actually glad to see wrestling started at Arkansas-Little Rock.  Good luck to all the dual teams.

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

I’m announcing in Little Rock on Sunday, but getting to NOLA by Monday morning from a border state proved to be too much of a pain in the ass. Will be watching from my speakeasy.

Would not have thought that the only ways to get between Little Rock and New Orleans would be a connecting flight or a rental car...

3 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Would not have thought that the only ways to get between Little Rock and New Orleans would be a connecting flight or a rental car...

Eight hours in a car after flying into Memphis the morning of, driving 2 hours, announcing, and then driving 7-8 hours more is not my idea of a great wrestling trip. 

• Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

Lousiana's due for some more college wrestling teams to emerge, at the enrollment-driven level anyway.   Hopefully these duals (and the growing quantity of college teams in neighboring Arkansas and Texas) can help inspire such a breakthrough.   There's interesting news regarding neighboring Mississippi, below, too...

But first:  as recently as the mid-1980s, Lousiana State University (LSU) was a Top 20 NCAA D1 wrestling powerhouse.   Kevin Jackson transferred to Iowa State when LSU dropped their wrestling preauxgram.  He reached the NCAA finals the following year or so, losing to the Hawkeyes' Royce Alger.   

Meanwhile neighboring Mississippi is making a noteworthy push to get high school wrestling...

https://www.facebook.com/sipwrestling

Furthermore, although neighboring Texas had no college programs left 15 years ago, now it has 5 women's and 4 men's programs at the NAIA or NCAA D2 or D3 levels:   

http://www.Facebook.com/TexasCollegiateWrestling

Geaux Louisiana.   May the waves of progress increasingly smile upon the region.   We have even seen an NCAA D1 team emerge within it (UALR) in a state where there was barely even high school wrestling 15 or so years ago.   

And did I forget the new college team that is springing up in Alabama?  🙂   

Montevallo Falcons in Alabama 2022.jpg

5 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Eight hours in a car after flying into Memphis the morning of, driving 2 hours, announcing, and then driving 7-8 hours more is not my idea of a great wrestling trip. 

Don't blame you...I had to look to make sure there was neither a nonstop flight nor, shockingly, even a direct Greyhound bus line between the two (literally requires changes of bus in both Memphis and Baton Rouge, amazingly)!