The First Annual Dark Horse Derby Challenge

And then there were five. 

All hail the five All-Americans from the bottom half of the bracket.

• #23 Tanner Jordan, South Dakota State 125 (7th Place Match)
  • #26 Vance Vombaur, Minnesota 141 (7th Place Match)
  • #20 Hunter Garvin, Stanford 165 (Top 6)
  • #18 Benjamin Pasiuk, Army 174 (7th Place Match)
  • #25 David Key, Navy 184 (7th Place Match)

That is a pretty fair haul.

In the four prior years of 33 seeds there were 1 (2019), 6 (2021), 1 (2022), and 2 (2023 AAs from the bottom half. 

Leader in the Clubhouse

@Hwt1 charges into the lead.

I am thinking we found Hunter Garvin's dad. With 12.5 points (and counting?) Garvin is the clear leader. Congrats to your son, it looks he will be top 6 at NCAA's form the #20 seed, and earn you a much more important title.

Only @PortaJohn can catch Hwt1 at this point. Though PJ was completely hosed by quite possibly the smartest brick every thrown:

1. If there is justice in this world, our hero, Ben Pasiuk, will pinfall Edmond Ruth in the 7th place match (sorry @ILLINIWrestlingBlog but we need there to be nice things in the world), gaining an extra 3.5 points,
  2. And Hunter Garvin will stop scoring points,
  3. And then maybe, just maybe, PJ can win on a tiebreaker. But, I forget what the tiebreakers are, and they are all the way on page 1, so that will have to wait.

image.thumb.png.51cb98afd9f12952771b112f7dd04511.png

The 17's were looking so strong, like every coach ever taught you, you have to keep scoring.

• Bob 1
  • Pirate 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The 17's were looking so strong, like every coach ever taught you, you have to keep scoring.

But how is it possible to lose points?  I am throwing the blue brick and Juan the red brick.  🤨

6 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Remember those auditors who were in earlier?

Maybe you mean "clerical error?"  Perhaps you meant to add 3 pts but instead subtracted?  🤔

Anyway, we all know Jimmy will steal the winnings and then skip town so ...

0oKRId.gif

Edited by ionel
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ionel said:

Maybe you mean "clerical error?"  Perhaps you meant to add 3 pts but instead subtracted?  🤔

Anyway, we all know Jimmy will steal the winnings and then skip town so ...

The truth is way less interesting. When I uploaded the data into Tableau it pulled it in as whole numbers instead of integers. I have never had it do that before. That meant all the halfpoints got rounded up to whole points. And as we know there are a few halfpoints in a wrestling tournie. When I converted to integers everyone gave blood.

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

The truth is way less interesting. When I uploaded the data into Tableau it pulled it in as whole numbers instead of integers. I have never had it do that before. That meant all the halfpoints got rounded up to whole points. And as we know there are a few halfpoints in a wrestling tournie. When I converted to integers everyone gave blood.

Ok ... well as long as Juan didn't beat me I'm happy.  🤠  ride on dark ponies  🐎 

1 minute ago, ionel said:

Ok ... well as long as Juan didn't beat me I'm happy.  🤠  ride on dark ponies  🐎 

WKN, I think because Ionel and Juan are the same team they should have to split the 20 and each get 10.  It's only fair

• Poopy 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

9 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

WKN, I think because Ionel and Juan are the same team they should have to split the 20 and each get 10.  It's only fair

💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 💩 

our lawyers will be in contact!  🤨

Edited by ionel

15 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

And then there were five. 

All hail the five All-Americans from the bottom half of the bracket.

• #23 Tanner Jordan, South Dakota State 125 (7th Place Match)
  • #26 Vance Vombaur, Minnesota 141 (7th Place Match)
  • #20 Hunter Garvin, Stanford 165 (Top 6)
  • #18 Benjamin Pasiuk, Army 174 (7th Place Match)
  • #25 David Key, Navy 184 (7th Place Match)

That is a pretty fair haul.

In the four prior years of 33 seeds there were 1 (2019), 6 (2021), 1 (2022), and 2 (2023 AAs from the bottom half. 

Leader in the Clubhouse

@Hwt1 charges into the lead.

I am thinking we found Hunter Garvin's dad. With 12.5 points (and counting?) Garvin is the clear leader. Congrats to your son, it looks he will be top 6 at NCAA's form the #20 seed, and earn you a much more important title.

Only @PortaJohn can catch Hwt1 at this point. Though PJ was completely hosed by quite possibly the smartest brick every thrown:

1. If there is justice in this world, our hero, Ben Pasiuk, will pinfall Edmond Ruth in the 7th place match (sorry @ILLINIWrestlingBlog but we need there to be nice things in the world), gaining an extra 3.5 points,
  2. And Hunter Garvin will stop scoring points,
  3. And then maybe, just maybe, PJ can win on a tiebreaker. But, I forget what the tiebreakers are, and they are all the way on page 1, so that will have to wait.

image.thumb.png.51cb98afd9f12952771b112f7dd04511.png

19th place and solidly middle of the pack.  Yeah baby!

I am honored to win the 1st Annual Dark Horse Derby Challenge! Thanks for running this pool. No relation to Hunter Garvin, but he is from Iowa City and followed him in high school. 

It is official. @Hwt1 is the one we were promised. And while he denies any blood relation to Hunter Garvin, I imagine he thinks of him as a son after Hunter delivered the Dark Horse title.

In the runner up slot @PortaJohn definitely did not crap the bed. Pour one out for our favorite soldier and a near miss.

@Gage takes the bronze, but what could have been if Brock had only Maullered some people. 

@Idaho rounds out the podium positions by also riding that lathered beast known as Hunter Garvin.

Thank you to all who participated @JuanMogen @ionel @Winners Circle @lu1979 @Eagle26 @TylerDurden @Truzzcat @lightweight @Jimmy Cinnabon @MNRodent @bnwtwg @Tigerfan @charmon55 @1032004 @Pinnacle @Bigbrog @Scouts Honor @500 wrestler @jmoney @Hart2pay @Go Hokies @CHROMEBIRD @Friendlycamper @cangemi @Ragu @Harpyeagle @Dogbone @flyingcement @Elevator @Gus @MidwestMan @JimmyBT @wrestle87 @Gambatte

Same time next year?

image.thumb.png.3040267173fc03c0926da1b733453c1a.png

• Bob 2

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It is official. @Hwt1 is the one we were promised. And while he denies any blood relation to Hunter Garvin, I imagine he thinks of him as a son after Hunter delivered the Dark Horse title.

In the runner up slot @PortaJohn definitely did not crap the bed. Pour one out for our favorite soldier and a near miss.

@Gage takes the bronze, but what could have been if Brock had only Maullered some people. 

@Idaho rounds out the podium positions by also riding that lathered beast known as Hunter Garvin.

Thank you to all who participated @JuanMogen @ionel @Winners Circle @lu1979 @Eagle26 @TylerDurden @Truzzcat @lightweight @Jimmy Cinnabon @MNRodent @bnwtwg @Tigerfan @charmon55 @1032004 @Pinnacle @Bigbrog @Scouts Honor @500 wrestler @jmoney @Hart2pay @Go Hokies @CHROMEBIRD @Friendlycamper @cangemi @Ragu @Harpyeagle @Dogbone @flyingcement @Elevator @Gus @MidwestMan @JimmyBT @wrestle87 @Gambatte

Same time next year?

image.thumb.png.3040267173fc03c0926da1b733453c1a.png

I am just happy finishing above a knownothing.  Its a bonus tying with @JuanMogen, I like the way he thinks.  🙂

Edited by ionel