Mesenbrink Ranking: enough is enough

2 hours ago, Caveira said:

Then there should be less griping about their seeds/rankings at this point.  

I didn't realize that the PSU wrestlers and coaches were griping?  I must have missed the interviews that they gave regarding this.

As for the people on here griping; there's pretty much nothing much else to do until the matches take place and we get more results but we have to pass the time doing something while we wait.

• Fire 1

27 minutes ago, PSULou64 said:

I didn't realize that the PSU wrestlers and coaches were griping?  I must have missed the interviews that they gave regarding this.

As for the people on here griping; there's pretty much nothing much else to do until the matches take place and we get more results but we have to pass the time doing something while we wait.

Good point.  I am pretty sure Cael and company know exactly how it works and are willing to accept any and all ramifications with zero complaining.  They understand the system.  They understand (for the most part) the needs of their guys.  They make judgements on what exactly they can do under the system.

It is the fans who whine.

3 hours ago, Winners Circle said:

I'd say my tiers, based on where guys are and how they're wrestling right now, are: 

T1: KOT & Carr

T2: MM

T3: Hamiti, Olejnik, Ramirez, Caliendo, Amine, Fish, Hall

MM may be T1, but I need to see it first. And I think it's obvious he's separated himself from the T3 field. 

id be fine with mitchell being high end tier 3 or moving hamiti,ramirez,olejnik up to tier 2 with him but I dont think you can put MM on tier island for albeit destroying a seemingly not in form amine and fish when ramirez has beaten carr and quincy twice last year and hamiti has bonused 3 guys in the same tier as him (ramirez,fish,hall)

If MM runs the table he pretty much has to be seeded #2 and if Carr knocks off KOT either time they face each other he'd have to be #1. Just look at the resume if he comes out of Big Tens he'll have bonused Olguin, Amine and Fish (so far) and have wins against Caliendo and Hamiti (likely in the finals). If KOT, Carr, Ramirez and Olejnik all have losses you can't deny him. 

31 minutes ago, buckshot said:

If MM runs the table he pretty much has to be seeded #2 and if Carr knocks off KOT either time they face each other he'd have to be #1. Just look at the resume if he comes out of Big Tens he'll have bonused Olguin, Amine and Fish (so far) and have wins against Caliendo and Hamiti (likely in the finals). If KOT, Carr, Ramirez and Olejnik all have losses you can't deny him. 

Although I see your point, but if Carr beats KOT in the dual but O’Toole beats him at B12’s I could see KOT as the 1 over an unbeaten B10 MM. KOT strength of schedule based on the wrestlers he’s faced outweighs MM. Do I think it happens that a 1 loss KOT is the 1 seed, probably not, but we’ve seen crazier things happen in the brackets. 

• Fire 1

A 1-loss KOT would have to be seeded over an undefeated MM based on quality wins, and would likely still be ranked ahead of him, maybe by two places, in the coaches poll. 

Edited by Le duke

17 minutes ago, MizzouFan01 said:

Although I see your point, but if Carr beats KOT in the dual but O’Toole beats him at B12’s I could see KOT as the 1 over an unbeaten B10 MM. KOT strength of schedule based on the wrestlers he’s faced outweighs MM. Do I think it happens that a 1 loss KOT is the 1 seed, probably not, but we’ve seen crazier things happen in the brackets. 

Willie did a write up predicting 1 seeds and this is pretty much what he said as well

Considering it’s only 1/2 way thru his rs freshman year, maybe the noise around MM might be a little early. But if there is one thing we know about Cael, it’s not where his wrestlers are in January, it’s where they finish in March. Except for KOT and DC, there might not be anybody you would less like to see in your bracket come nationals. 

28 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

KOT and Carr being on the same side would be a travesty. If MM earns Saturday night then great, but don't rob fans of the opportunity for closure.

Word. 

The actual seed number is less important to me than splitting these two.  If one of them is #1 then the other is 2 or 3.  If MM gets the #1 then I hope these two are 2 or 3 and 4.  If the top 4 guys don't crap the bed along the way and only beat each other then the seeding committee has the wiggle room to credibly make this happen.  Therefore, committee, make it so.

Nuff said.

• Fire 1

44 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

KOT and Carr being on the same side would be a travesty. If MM earns Saturday night then great, but don't rob fans of the opportunity for closure.

I mean if Mesenbrink beats one of them then wouldn’t that make it not a travesty?

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I mean if Mesenbrink beats one of them then wouldn’t that make it not a travesty?

I literally said they should be separated and one of them has to defeat MM on Friday night, so yeah?

i am an idiot on the internet

Cornell haven't historically been ducks, and they typically go out of their way to have one of the most competitive schedules.  However the optics of what occurred that night are hard to explain away.

Edited by flyingcement
  • Fire 1

On 1/29/2024 at 12:03 PM, Pinnacle said:

Shapiro will wrestle Haines, not Messenbrink. Right now same weight I favor Messenbrink over Shapiro by at least 2 takedowns, maybe more. 

At 157 based solely on the last 4 weeks I rate Haines and Shapiro a toss up. Haines is dinged by a couple average results, but that is offset by the PSU post season bump.

Ehhh youre kinda forgetting how Cornell does against PSU stars in big matches (minus Nickal v Dean)

Dake v Molinaro, Dake v Taylor, Vito v RBY... im off the opinion that Shaprios poor performance at CKLV was not gas tank or wrestling multiple matches like the guy guys insinuate. I think he got concussed during the Andonian match...

33 minutes ago, BigRedFan said:

So, in his previous match, Ramirez was faking a hurt ankle in preparation for ducking?  You guys are just too much.

I know, I know, everybody remembers, the whole Cornell team got injured after they all wrestled two duals earlier that day.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1