Austin Gomez a GO?

nhs67

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Before CKLV I had Michigan projected second by a single point over NC State (so close that second through fourth is realistic). But CKLV was rough on Michigan's ranks and they dropped all the way down to ninth, a whopping 18 points behind NC State.

So it depends on where you think Gomez finishes. First? They are solid contenders for second. Second? Second through fourth is realistic. Third? Probably still on the podium.

Gomez is a legit title contender for sure. He is a tier 1 guy with Lovett, Henson and Parco. 

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Before CKLV I had Michigan projected second by a single point over NC State (so close that second through fourth is realistic). But CKLV was rough on Michigan's ranks and they dropped all the way down to ninth, a whopping 18 points behind NC State.

So it depends on where you think Gomez finishes. First? They are solid contenders for second. Second? Second through fourth is realistic. Third? Probably still on the podium.

It will really depend on how the coaches bring along the wrestlers so they peak properly in March.  

Back in 2022, they did it perfectly with Suriano, giving him just enough mat time so he'd be ready for nationals but not so much that he'd rebel or lose focus.  I think the situation will be similar for Gomez.

• Fire 1

This Michigan squad could get as high as second or as low as 15th.  It all depends on peaking as well as injuries.

DeAugustino - Depending on brackets, he could win it all.  He majored the highest returning placer two weeks before Nationals last year.

Cannon - Could place as high as 3rd.  He beat Nagao and while Crookham looks promising, I am not sold (yet).

Lemley - Could place.  He could.  True frosh, plenty of moxy, just needs his feet under him a bit more and that confidence could take him next level. I expect a match or two win at the least at NCAAs.

Gomez - Could win it all.

Lewan - He isn't beating Robb.  Robb sonned him.  He is the only one Lewan can't beat though.  Peak of 2nd.

Amine - He isn't beating O'Toole.  That Carr match was closer than I thought it would be, though.  Peak of 2nd.

Griffith - He isn't beating Sta(l)rocci.  Peak of 2nd.

Bullock - He lost to 157lber Negron then rattled off a dozen wins at CKLV.  He could AA.  Not sure how high, though.

Striggow - I would be happy to win a match at NCAAs here.

Davison - I think he could still win it all.  I am calling peak of 2nd, though.

So if everyone peaks at their absolute best and no injuries, Michigan can still get 2nd.  We could also be looking at as low as 2-3 low AA.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

8 hours ago, Gus said:

Gomez is a legit title contender for sure. He is a tier 1 guy with Lovett, Henson and Parco. 

I'm just saying it right now and I don't care about the 4 timers. If Gomez/Lovett is the title match it needs to open the championship round of NCAAs. That match will be freakin electric and will get the crowd buzzing.

• Fire 3

i am an idiot on the internet

It really all depends on how these 6th and 7th year guys perform, I have no actual stats but imo they by and large do worse than they did earlier in their career.  Injuries, HEW, changing priorities, etc.   So I'm not expecting most of those guys to place top4 individually. 

Edited by Gantry
  • Stalling 1

28 minutes ago, Gantry said:

It really all depends on how these 6th and 7th year guys perform, I have no actual stats but imo they by and large do worse than they did earlier in their career.  Injuries, HEW, changing priorities, etc.   So I'm not expecting most of those guys to place top4 individually. 

Austin O'Connor did alright his 6th year

Hayden Hidlay did okay and he even bumped two weights for his sixth year

Edited by bnwtwg

4 hours ago, nhs67 said:

This Michigan squad could get as high as second or as low as 15th.  It all depends on peaking as well as injuries.

Gomez - Could win it all.

He will wrestle reckless like he has over the years, tweak his knee, and be out in the consolation quarterfinals. 

His only AA was a year he stayed healthy, can he stay healthy, that will decide how far he goes. 

29 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Austin O'Connor did alright his 6th year

Hayden Hidlay did okay and he even bumped two weights for his sixth year

Sure, it's not universal.  But I still feel like more 6th/7th years guys take a step back than they do forward. 

On 12/12/2023 at 10:16 AM, nhs67 said:

It is required reading that whenever Bono's name (Turdbiscuit be blessed) that someone of high moral fiber must remind folks that he is a Turdbiscuit.

Bono is a Turdbiscuit.

Is this reversible?  If I call Bono a Turdbiscuit, will I then become someone of high moral fiber?  I'd really like to have that going for me.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BerniePragle said:

Is this reversible?  If I call Bono a Turdbiscuit, will I then become someone of high moral fiber?  I'd really like to have that going for me.

Absofreakinlutely, BP!

Law of averages dictates that it is so.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 12/14/2023 at 12:06 PM, HungusMungus said:

He will wrestle reckless like he has over the years, tweak his knee, and be out in the consolation quarterfinals. 

His only AA was a year he stayed healthy, can he stay healthy, that will decide how far he goes. 

Gomez is also inconsistent. He can be great one match, and then be much more ordinary in the next. I have doubts that he can put together a full run at NCAAs to claim a title.

2 hours ago, WrestleFan12 said:

Gomez is also inconsistent. He can be great one match, and then be much more ordinary in the next. I have doubts that he can put together a full run at NCAAs to claim a title.

My observation is he is inconsistent when injured.  

3 hours ago, WrestleFan12 said:

In his dual meet win over Yianni he looked amazing.  Yianni lost 1 other match in his college career and it was due to some last second points Eirman got off a cradle.  Gomez beat him by outwrestling him for 7 minutes.  If he is that guy he is my pick to win the NC.  I concur with Ionel that injuries have been his downfall.  Ridge Lovett has looked great this year but I think Gomez takes it all in March.

On 12/14/2023 at 12:06 PM, HungusMungus said:

And doesn't he have the Pan Am qualifier right around the same time as Nationals?

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Do we know if Gable is coming back?  I think it’s between him and Gomez for the title of most retirements right?

Gomez was told by doctors to walk away due to concussions after a stellar frosh year where he made R12. I think that gives him a free pass for the first retirement.

18 hours ago, lu1979 said:

In his dual meet win over Yianni he looked amazing.  Yianni lost 1 other match in his college career and it was due to some last second points Eirman got off a cradle.  Gomez beat him by outwrestling him for 7 minutes.  If he is that guy he is my pick to win the NC.  I concur with Ionel that injuries have been his downfall.  Ridge Lovett has looked great this year but I think Gomez takes it all in March.

Right, he was great against Yianni. But a couple of weeks before that he got thumped by Paniro Johnson, and shortly after the Yianni match, Gomez nearly got decked by a freshman. Then, Gomez was getting thrashed by Sasso, only to make a dramatic comeback for the win. Gomez is a bit all over the map. He definitely does not bring his A-game to every match.