Cy-Hawk Thread

15 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Oh, I get it. But that points to the other issue for me.

I have always been a Real Woods fan, so perhaps that is why I found his match the most disappointing of all the matches. As the #1 ranked wrestler I really expected more than 1-1 at the end of regulation against a guy ranked #19, who has done precisely nothing his whole NCAA career. And that the 1 Woods gave up came from double stalls makes it even more disappointing. By contrast Carr went out and got it against a higher ranked wrestler coming off an AA season. 

So, while a lot of Iowa Sate's TDs came from Carr, a lot of TDs should have come from Woods, but didn't.

Almost reminiscent of Woods vs. Swiderski last year?

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Echemendia?  Not only is he probably my least favorite wrestler currently in a lineup at a D1 school, but also is excellent on his feet and possesses world class talent.  Not easy to get a ton of takedowns over.  He beat Swideski in the 149 wrestle-off and is now down a weight.

He has done "nothing" his entire NCAA career because he only wrestled one year and was lost for the season after a brutal Eierman cradle.  Then he had some legal, disciplinary, and transfer related issues.  He is no joke.

BTW I love the Echemendia timeline on Iowa State's site.  I've always said this, but the dates don't really add up!

Posted a 52-0 record en route to an Arizona high school state title for Sunnyside High School ... double dip champion at the 2019 Junior Fargo tournament, winning both the Freestyle and Greco-Roman titles ... had never wrestled a Greco-Roman match prior to the Fargo championship run ... 2019 ‘Who’s #1’ Champion ... two-time Senior Freestyle medalist in the Cuba Nationals (silver ’18, bronze ’17) ... U23 Cuba Freestyle National Champion (2017) ... back-to-back Cuba Junior Freestyle National Champion (2016, 2017) after a runner-up finish in 2015 ... three-straight Cadet Freestyle Cuban national titles (2012-14).

https://cyclones.com/sports/wrestling/roster/anthony-echemendia/12714

5 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

BTW I love the Echemendia timeline on Iowa State's site.  I've always said this, but the dates don't really add up!

Posted a 52-0 record en route to an Arizona high school state title for Sunnyside High School ... double dip champion at the 2019 Junior Fargo tournament, winning both the Freestyle and Greco-Roman titles ... had never wrestled a Greco-Roman match prior to the Fargo championship run ... 2019 ‘Who’s #1’ Champion ... two-time Senior Freestyle medalist in the Cuba Nationals (silver ’18, bronze ’17) ... U23 Cuba Freestyle National Champion (2017) ... back-to-back Cuba Junior Freestyle National Champion (2016, 2017) after a runner-up finish in 2015 ... three-straight Cadet Freestyle Cuban national titles (2012-14).

https://cyclones.com/sports/wrestling/roster/anthony-echemendia/12714

2014 wins third cadet title. Per UWW cadet is for 16-17 year-olds. So 17 in 2014? But then enters Fargo juniors (18-20 years-old?) five years later as a presumed 22 year old. 

Six years later he is a 23 year-old freshman at OSU. And now a 26 year-old sophomore. Could be a 28-30 year-old senior if he plays his cards right.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

2014 wins third cadet title. Per UWW cadet is for 16-17 year-olds. So 17 in 2014? But then enters Fargo juniors (18-20 years-old?) five years later as a presumed 22 year old. 

Six years later he is a 23 year-old freshman at OSU. And now a 26 year-old sophomore. Could be a 28-30 year-old senior if he plays his cards right.

Wikipedia (I know) says 24 now born in 9/10/1999. He would have been 19 at Fargo. You assumed his oldest possible age for Cadet.

Not saying it now all adds up- but makes more sense this way.

13 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

Wikipedia (I know) says 24 now born in 9/10/1999. He would have been 19 at Fargo. You assumed his oldest possible age for Cadet.

Not saying it now all adds up- but makes more sense this way.

He won his cadet titles from 2012 to 2014, so I assumed he was 17 for the last, 15 for the first.

If he was born in 1999 he would have been 12 or 13 for his first, wrestling against 16 and 17 year-olds.

Possible? Sure. Probable?

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I know that the Hawkeyes won, but outside of a few bright spots, I didn’t think that they looked great. I know that this was a very good Cyclone team, probably one of their best in recent years, but comparing the Hawkeyes to the Nittany Lions I don’t see Iowa doing very well against Penn St. Now perhaps when the new semester starts the Hawks will see some additions to their lineup that will be a significant improvement. 

11 minutes ago, de4856 said:

I know that the Hawkeyes won, but outside of a few bright spots, I didn’t think that they looked great. I know that this was a very good Cyclone team, probably one of their best in recent years, but comparing the Hawkeyes to the Nittany Lions I don’t see Iowa doing very well against Penn St. Now perhaps when the new semester starts the Hawks will see some additions to their lineup that will be a significant improvement. 

Do you see any team doing very well against Psu? 

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

He won his cadet titles from 2012 to 2014, so I assumed he was 17 for the last, 15 for the first.

If he was born in 1999 he would have been 12 or 13 for his first, wrestling against 16 and 17 year-olds.

Possible? Sure. Probable?

He won the Cuba National School Games several times [ 2012, 2013, *2014 (15y), 2015 (16y), and 2016 (17y) ] as documented in the Cuba source.  *Another source.

The Cuba source was started in 2017 by Mireya63 and his birthday was documented as Sep 10, 1999.

1 hour ago, de4856 said:

If the only standard is "better than PSU" than yes, they and everybody else is going to fall way short this season.

Given all of the context, coming off suspensions of multiple high level wrestlers, on the road, on national TV, and as betting underdogs in some books, I think they looked great. 

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

On another positive note, do we have a "Minnow curse?"

Teams are 0-2 this year when he posts his "really cool special outfit" to watch the match in, followed by taking some selfies like a 15 year old girl.

Both Rutgers and ISU suffered somewhat embarrassing defeats after the Minnow outfit posts.

Minnow embarrasses himself enough.  Please don't tie him in an official manner to those two programs.  They are better than him in every single way imaginable.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me