How Long Will Bono Last at Wisconsin?

ThreePointTakedown

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I completely forgot that Askren had coached at the RTC…

Don't forget that Matt McDonough was also released. I don't remember what happened with that. I like Matt and thought having him on staff was going to be a plus.

I think my buckeye friend @MPhillips could remember what happened there. 

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, TexRef said:

Don't forget that Matt McDonough was also released. I don't remember what happened with that. I like Matt and thought having him on staff was going to be a plus.

I think my buckeye friend @MPhillips could remember what happened there. 

Yeah I do remember hearing he kinda got pushed out for Gross.  Not sure what that would have to do with Askren though?

5 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I do remember hearing he kinda got pushed out for Gross.  Not sure what that would have to do with Askren though?

I didn't say that it had anything to do with Askren, just some of the other turmoil that has gone on since Barry Davis left. 

12 hours ago, TexRef said:

This sounds a lot like the campfire talk when Davis "wasn't getting it done" in Madison. 

Davis did not have the in state recruits like Bono has and is whiffing on, OToole, Mocco, Whiting, Buchanan, Keckeisen, Mesenbreck, Mulvaney, Sinclair, Hopke, Mirasola twins, Scoles and a handful of others that I missed. That is a lot of recruits to miss on dont you know 

• Fire 2

8 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Askren did say that he liked McDonough which was difficult for him with his strong hatred of the Hawks.  I think he liked Gross too, but I bet he didn't like what happened to McD.  He also seemed tight with Moran and Wick, neither of whom appear to have left Madison on a positive note.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

1 hour ago, Ivan Stankowski said:

Davis did not have the in state recruits like Bono has and is whiffing on, OToole, Mocco, Whiting, Buchanan, Keckeisen, Mesenbreck, Mulvaney, Sinclair, Hopke, Mirasola twins, Scoles and a handful of others that I missed. That is a lot of recruits to miss on dont you know 

Really?  Off the top of my head Davis "whiffed" on Cole Conrad, Tim Hartung, Garrett Lowney, Ben Askren, and Alex Dieringer.  I believe that is a total of 9 NCAA individual titles, 12 NCAA Finals appearances, 3 Hodge Trophies, 2 Olympians, and 1 Olympic medal.

I'm not a Bono apologist, but come on, there has been great Wisconsin prep talent leaving the state for 30 years now.

Edited by jchapman
  • Fire 3

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

35 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Really?  Off the top of my head Davis "whiffed" on Cole Conrad, Tim Hartung, Garrett Lowney, Ben Askren, and Alex Dieringer.  I believe that is a total of 9 NCAA individual titles, 12 NCAA Finals appearances, 3 Hodge Trophies, 2 Olympians, and 1 Olympic medal.

I'm not a Bono apologist, but come on, there has been great Wisconsin prep talent leaving the state for 30 years now.

Sure there was, but just not as many, so his chance of maybe landing one should have been better, but we can agree to disagree

10 hours ago, TexRef said:

I didn't say that it had anything to do with Askren, just some of the other turmoil that has gone on since Barry Davis left. 

It has been something Ben has brought up, but I don't know if that's after they fell out or played a role in it.

I thought people had said that played a role, but I've only heard a couple of details from people who are around the program.

There was a lot of hand-wringing when he brought Gross though. I don't know, seemed like a good idea to get a kid you developed in there, but MM was caught in the middle a bit.

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, jchapman said:

Speaking of leaving, what's the Rowley story. IMO that was a big loss. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Something sad to me about Hamiti: as a true freshman, his dominance against national qualifier level wrestlers (usually pinning them) was something to behold.  As time went on, it seemed as if he lost every single match that was wasn't favored to win.  I can't remember if he has ever "upset" someone since that fun regular season ride as a true freshman.  

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Something sad to me about Hamiti: as a true freshman, his dominance against national qualifier level wrestlers (usually pinning them) was something to behold.  As time went on, it seemed as if he lost every single match that was wasn't favored to win.  I can't remember if he has ever "upset" someone since that fun regular season ride as a true freshman.  

They talked about this on Flo Radio, calling him the most consistent wrestler in the NCAA.  Never gets upset, never upsets anyone.  This leads to the discussion, how did he get ranked in the first place if he never beat anyone ranked higher than him?

3 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

They talked about this on Flo Radio, calling him the most consistent wrestler in the NCAA.  Never gets upset, never upsets anyone.  This leads to the discussion, how did he get ranked in the first place if he never beat anyone ranked higher than him?

He kept beating guys in the beginning of the season and Illinois Matmen Open (I think this was the replacement for the cancelled Midlands, but could be mistaken) was where he announced his prescence by pinning Hartman, teching Conigliaro, and majoring Braunagel.  

image.thumb.png.9212a710b12f1814777566cc9ed30478.png

• Fire 1