November Gable Steveson update

TNwrestling

14 hours ago, Idaho said:

Probably the part where he keeps seeing bank deposits labeled "WWE" 

Yep-it seems exactly as if they signed him to a contract and are giving him the shittiest assignments possible to try to get him to quit, but he knows if he just shows up, the checks will keep coming in. 

I don't know why anybody thought WWE would suddenly care about Olympic wrestling credentials and why this would be a better career choice than continuing to be the best freestyle HWT wrestler in the world. 

• Fire 2

3 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Yep-it seems exactly as if they signed him to a contract and are giving him the shittiest assignments possible to try to get him to quit, but he knows if he just shows up, the checks will keep coming in. 

I don't know why anybody thought WWE would suddenly care about Olympic wrestling credentials and why this would be a better career choice than continuing to be the best freestyle HWT wrestler in the world. 

As you said, you don't know why.

But maybe choose to not denigrate a man for his decisions when you don't know why. That's bad form.

10 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

It's a better career choice because of the money.  He probably makes more in a couple of months than he would lifetime as a freestyle wrestler.  And that's his passion.  Who are any of us to say what he should or shouldn't do in his career?

23 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

As you said, you don't know why.

But maybe choose to not denigrate a man for his decisions when you don't know why. That's bad form.

How did I denigrate him? I have zero respect for WWE and Vince McMahon.  If anything, I have more respect for him for not being what WWE wants.  It's not surprising at all that WWE made this choice because Gable isn't roided up, doesn't look like a freak, and isn't obnoxious like Logan Paul.  

15 hours ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

It's a better career choice because of the money.  He probably makes more in a couple of months than he would lifetime as a freestyle wrestler.  And that's his passion.  Who are any of us to say what he should or shouldn't do in his career?

It's very easy to see somebody this talented doing backyard WWE shows, when he is the best at the world at something else, and recognize that it wasn't a great decision.  Of course he can do whatever he wants, but we can't make an obvious observation on a message board?  Are you going to be offended if I also say Aaron Pico might have made a mistake in foregoing college and international wrestling?

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Fire 1

19 hours ago, The_KC_Godfather said:

I’d agree for the most part but I think you’re exaggerating if you’re basing it on what he’s making now.

I thought the rumor was $1 million for his WWE contract right?  Although not sure of the timeframe.

But he got $250k for Olympic Gold.  Another of those and he’s already halfway there.  Throw in world medals, sponsorships and an RTC salary and he should be able to top $1 million in lifetime earnings from freestyle wrestling alone, not even counting NIL for college or coaching.

Of course if he was actually successful in WWE then it’d be a different story.

Edited by 1032004
  • Fire 2

22 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

I’d agree for the most part but I think you’re exaggerating if you’re basing it on what he’s making now.

I thought the rumor was $1 million for his WWE contract right?  Although not sure of the timeframe.

But he got $250k for Olympic Gold.  Another of those and he’s already halfway there.  Throw in world medals, sponsorships and an RTC salary and he should be able to top $1 million in lifetime earnings from freestyle wrestling alone, not even counting NIL for college or coaching.

I am not sure what the latest policy with the USAW Living the Dream Fund but in 2016 when JB was going for a repeat Olympic Gold medal it was announced that a repeat Olympic Gold would get the winner $500K.  Now JB did not repeat - also Kyle Snyder and Helen M failed to repeat in 2020(1) - This year Steveson and David Taylor could repeat as OG Medalists.  I don't know if the higher amount is still being considered for repeat Olympic golds.  

• Fire 1

Maybe, and hear me out on this, he just doesn't care as much about olympic wrestling as everyone wants him to. He has done it nonstop domestically and globally since he was a child. It's okay to want to do something different. Yes the flip-flopping has left a very sour taste in many mouths but perhaps he has the ex-athlete mindset now: "I miss practice and being with the guys, but I don't miss having to do all the competitions and the travel and the sacrifices. I still like to show up but I only want to do it on my terms going forward."

That is a great and understandable mindset. How many rooms had a guy who would come in once or twice every week or two, would help out, and you could see the passion was still there as long as it was in the right space and mindset?

And don't forget that Steveson is not "just" an olympic champ. He was a 4x state champ, Fargo champ, 2x NCAA champ (3x if not for covid), 2x cadet world champ, junior world champ, and THEN he won the olympics with what will likely go down as the greatest highlight comeback of all time and did all this before he could even drink a beer with his teammates. He has done everything there is to do in the sport except chase JB/Smith/Snyder/Big Bruce. He has pursued lofty goals for himself and very likely others his entire life. So if he wants to do something new and get paid for it along the way then good for him. That's his decision and not anyone else's.

• Fire 4

i am an idiot on the internet

8 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

How did I denigrate him? I have zero respect for WWE and Vince McMahon.  If anything, I have more respect for him for not being what WWE wants.  It's not surprising at all that WWE made this choice because Gable isn't roided up, doesn't look like a freak, and isn't obnoxious like Logan Paul.  

It's very easy to see somebody this talented doing backyard WWE shows, when he is the best at the world at something else, and recognize that it wasn't a great decision.  Of course he can do whatever he wants, but we can't make an obvious observation on a message board?  Are you going to be offended if I also say Aaron Pico might have made a mistake in foregoing college and international wrestling?

Don't work yourself into a shoot. 

7 hours ago, 1032004 said:

There is no guarantee that he will win that gold medal, though. The WWE offers something that international competition cant, and that's the guaranteed money. He doesn't have to legitimately beat someone in WWE to get paid that $1,000,000.