All Star Classic

Gus

On 11/18/2023 at 9:03 PM, jchapman said:

I don’t think it would go very well for the D2 and D3 guys against D1 AAs.  

I wonder what a dual of D2/3 Champs vs 7th place B1G tournament guys would go.

This would probably be a pretty good dual.  I’d say the D2/D3 champs could compete to AA or at least usually win a couple matches at NCAA’s, but that’s about the ceiling for most of them IMO (which is still pretty impressive of course).  

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

This would probably be a pretty good dual.  I’d say the D2/D3 champs could compete to AA or at least usually win a couple matches at NCAA’s, but that’s about the ceiling for most of them IMO (which is still pretty impressive of course).  

I agree though IMO it shows how crazy good the B10 is as much as that D2/D3 aren't as good.

A team of 7th placers at B10s  could win a dual meets against most other DI conference champs 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

I agree though IMO it shows how crazy good the B10 is as much as that D2/D3 aren't as good.

A team of 7th placers at B10s  could win a dual meets against most other DI conference champs 

I agree that 7th at the B10 is pretty good, but I think that’s probably a stretch except for the SoCon and MAC

2023 B1G 7th place

125 Dean Peterson of Rutgers (3-2 at NC, bloodround)

133 Brody Teske of Iowa (1-2 at NC)

141 Joseph Zargo of Wisconsin (0-2 at NC)

149 Chance Lamer of Michigan (3-2 at NC, bloodround)

157 Cobe Siebrecht of Iowa (1-2 at NC)

165 Alex Facundo of Penn State (0-2 at NC)

174 Jackson Turley of Rutgers (1-2 at NC, former AA)

184 Abe Assad of Iowa (1-2 at NC, former 2nd team AA in COVID year)

197 Braxton Amos of Wisconsin (0-1 at NC)

285 Hayden Copass of Purdue (1-2 at NC)

Anyone want to do a deep dive on matchups with D2/D3 Champions?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

9 minutes ago, jchapman said:

2023 B1G 7th place

125 Dean Peterson of Rutgers (3-2 at NC, bloodround)

133 Brody Teske of Iowa (1-2 at NC)

141 Joseph Zargo of Wisconsin (0-2 at NC)

149 Chance Lamer of Michigan (3-2 at NC, bloodround)

157 Cobe Siebrecht of Iowa (1-2 at NC)

165 Alex Facundo of Penn State (0-2 at NC)

174 Jackson Turley of Rutgers (1-2 at NC, former AA)

184 Abe Assad of Iowa (1-2 at NC, former 2nd team AA in COVID year)

197 Braxton Amos of Wisconsin (0-1 at NC)

285 Hayden Copass of Purdue (1-2 at NC)

Anyone want to do a deep dive on matchups with D2/D3 Champions?

Honestly would rather see the 5th placers.  Not because I don't think these guys are necessarily competitive with the D2/D3 gents, but because I think that using the 5th placers would create a bigger buzz around the meet.

Hell, I would love for D2, D3, NJCAA, and NAIA all to have a chance at making it.  Remove the 33rd qualifer and allow the NC from each of them to go.  Seed them 1-4 and thave them at 33, 34, 35, and 36.

Imagine last year:
1 - (33) Joziah Fry, D2, Johnson & Wales, SO, 43W - 0L
2 - (34) Brendon Garcia, D3, Adams State, SO, 22W - 3L (beat Lander's James Joplin 8-4 where Orum lost to him 3-1)
3 - (35) Brandon Orum, NAIA, NAIA, Life, SR, 14W - 3L (see above)
4 - (36) Jett Strickenberger, NJCAA, NW Kansas Tech, SO, 32W - 0L

I am kind of giving the benefit of the doubt to NAIA, D3, and D2 over NJCAA there with Jett, but for argument's sake lets leave it.

Here are your preliminary bouts:
Fry VS Tanner Jordan, SDSU - winner faces Spencer Lee, Iowa
Garcia VS Witcraft, OSU - winner faces Patrick Glory, Princeton
Orum VS Antonio Lorenzo, Cal Poly - winner faces Liam Cronin
Strickenberger VS Nico Provo, Stanford - winner faces Matt Ramos

Those are fun matches, I think.  Although I admittedly do not know anything about Strickenberger.

Well, I guess that isn't true.

He is now at West Virginia and is their starter:
https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/74382/strickenberger-jett/profile

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

5 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Honestly would rather see the 5th placers.  Not because I don't think these guys are necessarily competitive with the D2/D3 gents, but because I think that using the 5th placers would create a bigger buzz around the meet.

Hell, I would love for D2, D3, NJCAA, and NAIA all to have a chance at making it.  Remove the 33rd qualifer and allow the NC from each of them to go.  Seed them 1-4 and thave them at 33, 34, 35, and 36.

Imagine last year:
1 - (33) Joziah Fry, D2, Johnson & Wales, SO, 43W - 0L
2 - (34) Brendon Garcia, D3, Adams State, SO, 22W - 3L (beat Lander's James Joplin 8-4 where Orum lost to him 3-1)
3 - (35) Brandon Orum, NAIA, NAIA, Life, SR, 14W - 3L (see above)
4 - (36) Jett Strickenberger, NJCAA, NW Kansas Tech, SO, 32W - 0L

I am kind of giving the benefit of the doubt to NAIA, D3, and D2 over NJCAA there with Jett, but for argument's sake lets leave it.

Here are your preliminary bouts:
Fry VS Tanner Jordan, SDSU - winner faces Spencer Lee, Iowa
Garcia VS Witcraft, OSU - winner faces Patrick Glory, Princeton
Orum VS Antonio Lorenzo, Cal Poly - winner faces Liam Cronin
Strickenberger VS Nico Provo, Stanford - winner faces Matt Ramos

Those are fun matches, I think.  Although I admittedly do not know anything about Strickenberger.

Well, I guess that isn't true.

He is now at West Virginia and is their starter:
https://www.wrestlestat.com/wrestler/74382/strickenberger-jett/profile

strickenberger beat Brandon Kaylor his 1st match for WVU and has looked like a really solid get for Tim Flynn , his offense is still high level so far even with the jump in talent level.Kaylor beat Ayala yesterday and a lot on here feel he’s a title threat so I think Steickenberger looks like a guy who could compete for a podium spot this season 

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, Antitroll2828 said:

strickenberger beat Brandon Kaylor his 1st match for WVU and has looked like a really solid get for Tim Flynn , his offense is still high level so far even with the jump in talent level.Kaylor beat Ayala yesterday and a lot on here feel he’s a title threat so I think Steickenberger looks like a guy who could compete for a podium spot this season 

Looking further it looks like Fry lost to Lehigh's Luke Stanich via 11-4 Decision at the Princeton Open.  Losing might not be so bad at the end of the day, but a seven point margin doesn't look good.

Brendon Garcia doesn't appear to be on a roster this year.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

1 minute ago, nhs67 said:

Looking further it looks like Fry lost to Lehigh's Luke Stanich via 11-4 Decision at the Princeton Open.  Losing might not be so bad at the end of the day, but a seven point margin doesn't look good.

Brendon Garcia doesn't appear to be on a roster this year.

Luke Stanich is the real deal , been watching him since his freshman year of high school , went to a small public high school so I think he has a chance to jump even more levels in that Lehigh room ,Stanich has beaten mason Gibson and lost to him conversationally as well so come march or a year from now that might not be such a bad loss 

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, ionel said:

So is it true there is no good way to watch the All Star Classic?

Correct.

There is a way, but it will cut out multiple times and interrupt the end of matches with terrible unrelated ads that play on repeat.

i am an idiot on the internet