Maine shooting

WrestlingRasta

22 dead. Suspect still at large. He is/was (couldn’t find for if still current prior to yesterday) firearms instructor in the Army Reserve. This summer was in psychiatric hospital, claimed of hearing voices.  Walked into bowling alley/bar and opened fire. Ran out and as of this morning still at large.
We all know what gun was used.  

Terrifying. Put all the right/left aside. It’s devastating we have to think about escape plans when we take our family out for some fun. 

No issue for me.  I'm a responsible lifetime gun owner: all shotguns and rifles hidden away,  and never leave my house unless I go hunting. 

I don't invite enough trouble where I need to carry a gun in public. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 hour ago, Ohio Elite said:

The fact that he was a firearms instructor makes him 10x more deadly. That's some scary stuff.

My concealed carry 9mm wouldn't stand a chance.

56 minutes ago, Ohio Elite said:

Wow that is small. Probably a good gun for pocket carrying. I used to have a .380 for that

We do a considerable amount of work in some rough Philly neighborhoods.  I carry my Walther 9mm.  I'm amazed that when I tell people they think it's cool.  It's an unpleasant feeling thinking you might have to defend your own life just to go to work.  And like Ohio Elite said the 9mm isn't going to do much good.   Wouldn't want to get caught up in a gang shooting where they're spraying bullets everywhere

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

The bulletin also states that CARD recently reported mental health issues, including "hearing voices and threats to shoot up the National Guard Base in Saco, ME."

If he reported mental issues then why did he not lose access to guns?  We have mental health issues in this country.

• Fire 2

I kind of feel like we have a mental health problem, a coping problem, a human decency problem, a respect problem, a glorification of weapons problem, an access to weapons problem, a refusal to acknowledge all and just focus on the one or two that fit our bill problem…….

All of which contribute to what is going on. 

• Fire 8

1 hour ago, WrestlingRasta said:

I kind of feel like we have a mental health problem, a coping problem, a human decency problem, a respect problem, a glorification of weapons problem, an access to weapons problem, a refusal to acknowledge all and just focus on the one or two that fit our bill problem…….

All of which contribute to what is going on. 

Well said . Thank you. Side note. Maybe the media should not broadcast 24/7 the horrific deadly crimes when they happen. Some if not most of these individuals actually want ( in a very sick evil way) this attention.

• Fire 4

35 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

Well said . Thank you. Side note. Maybe the media should not broadcast 24/7 the horrific deadly crimes when they happen. Some if not most of these individuals actually want ( in a very sick evil way) this attention.

Truth.

I have yet to read or watch any coverage as pretty much is all speculation at this point. But getting us foaming at the mouth is good for non-WKN ratings.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Why did this guy have access to guns with his background?   In most places, it would be illegal for him to have guns with the mental issues he's had.   I believe we have laws on the books to prevent this.   Why are they not being enforced?

mspart

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, mspart said:

Why did this guy have access to guns with his background?   In most places, it would be illegal for him to have guns with the mental issues he's had.   I believe we have laws on the books to prevent this.   Why are they not being enforced?

mspart

Great question, the FBI must be busy with more important stuff.

4 hours ago, mspart said:

mspart

Unfortunately Maine does not red flag laws. Not sure if they have yellow flag  laws. To the best of my  best understanding. Don't ask why they don't have them.

1 hour ago, Plasmodium said:

You know it is going to get asked.   Why don’t they have red flag laws?

I believe the red flag laws were a little too intrusive for their liking. I could be wrong. But they sure screwed up on that one. They did adopt a yellow flag law which obviously was a big mistake.

Edited by Paul158
missed a word

17 minutes ago, headshuck said:

I suppose this mentally ill psychopath would have just stayed home and watched tv if he didn’t have his AR? He probably had a cabinet full of weapons.

A good point.  Truly unfortunate that we live in the only country with so many mentally ill psychopaths.

• Fire 2