A.J. Ferrari's case has been dismissed, he will join the Hawkeyes next season

Jimmy Cinnabon

10 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Remember Iowa's former wrestling star Jordan Holm?   He maintains his innocence after serving nearly 7 years in prison for rape.   I seem to recall that the allegation was that he woke up in someone else's bed next to a gal, performed an oral favor on her, and then discovered she had a guy with her.   She expressed disapproval and he allegedly got out of the bed and ran away.    After serving his prison sentence and resurrecting his wrestling career (for a while), he referred to modern DNA analysis to show that his DNA was not even found on her private parts.    This is the most recent article I've found on the request for a new trial (which I presume was denied?):

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2017/06/29/former-uni-wrestler-convicted-sexually-assaulting-university-iowa-student-seeking-new-trial/440406001/

As for former Idaho state rep. Von Ettinger (an Afghanistan war vet.), it appears that the purported rape victim has been on a (thus far lucrative) suing spree:

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article272961640.html

Notice how she wouldn't even testify (under oath) at trial about the alleged acts of the accused? 

If what she claims happened really did, then I certainly sympathize with her.   Sexual encounters spread diseases and can lead to unwanted pregnancies.   If she lied (and continues doing so, for $$$) though, it goes to further show the rest of us why it's important to refrain from conduct that can be claimed to be a violation.   If one participant doesn't fully trust the other, it seems best to remain Platonic friends.   And who fully trusts anyone else with one's freedom & future nowadays?    Sigh...    

That said, may A.J. Ferrari have a successful future.   And may we all remember the examples of less fortunate folks whom I've gone to considerable trouble to find and share in this forum thread in hopes that we'll be sufficiently precautious and avoid having to make the tremendous sacrifices of former wrestlers such as Iowa's Jordan Holm.   

Meanwhile, supporting women's wrestling seems helpful at reducing women's vulnerabilities to such hazards.    

Jordan Holm wrestled for UNI. Not Iowa.

41 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

I used the name "Iowa" to refer to the state, not the Hawkeyes.   7 years in a prison, presumably somewhere out there in Iowa, sure was a long time for him to rot, wasn't it?

Northfield High School, Minnesota, mate.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

High school in Minnesota; college in neighboring Iowa; 7 years in the slammer in...?   I presume Iowa, but sometimes states have transfer & exchange programs.   Either way, 7 years is a long time to rot in prison.   Granted, victims of sexual assault can consequently endure an STD for life, and an unwanted pregnancy potentially for life as well.   The former's a risk even for the kind of assault of which he was accused.   At least he persevered.  I guess he's not allowed to coach at the high school level (or below) nowadays.   Maybe a college club program could use him, if he likes:  http://www.ncwa.net/teams 

31 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

He is from Minnesota, not Iowa

After 11 years in Iowa (assuming he served his nearly 7 year sentence there?), I'd think he could claim residence in either state.   But at any rate, I suspect he's wished he'd remained in-state.   To my knowledge, Iowa has several more D1 wrestling teams than Minnesota.   Does Minnesota have any besides the land that JRob helped make great (I.e. the U. of Minnesota)?   

On 10/6/2023 at 4:46 PM, WildTurk said:

So was there not enough evidence or what? The victim can't just dismiss a case like this correct?  Where are the resident lawyers around here?  @VakAttack?

The victim can not withdraw the charges, they are not technically parties to a case, they are witnesses.  The case is typically the state vs. the individual.  They can ask that prosecution be dropped or recant their allegations, but prosecutors get the final call, they have to decide if they feel they can prove the case.

On 10/6/2023 at 4:47 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The victim can withdraw the charges

They can not.

On 10/6/2023 at 5:14 PM, Tripnsweep said:

Not true. The decision on whether to charge somebody rests on the local authorities. A victim can refuse to cooperate which makes winning a case a lot tougher. 

This is true.

On 10/6/2023 at 6:31 PM, Tripnsweep said:

How was it a mistrial? Just because somebody doesn't testify doesn't automatically mean mistrial. Any competent prosecutor isn't going to trial without enough evidence to bury somebody. One witness/victim isn't enough. Also just because it was a mistrial doesn't mean they couldn't try again. Generally a mistrial happens they don't just give up. 

If the eyewitness was served with a subpoena for trial and then doesn't show up, thus violating the subpoena, you would ask the judge for a mistrial on that basis; you have to have served them, though.

On 10/6/2023 at 7:33 PM, pokemonster said:

So here's an article on why it's being dismissed: https://www.stwnewspress.com/news/sexual-battery-case-dismissed-against-aj-ferrari/article_aaedc456-6493-11ee-be16-83d27698e540.html

“The young woman who is at the center of this matter has endured in the last year vicious attacks on multiple forms of social media, continuing trauma, blame, harassment, ostracism and indirect threats to her career: a career she has just begun,” Thomas wrote in the motion to dismiss. “She has made the very difficult decision after consultation with her family that her further involvement is much less important than her health, a career that she loves and the ugliness and hatred that she encounters and suffers each time this matter progresses to the next step. The office of the District Attorney supports her decision to be relieved from this further participation in the prosecution of this case by dismissing this matter.”

I wouldn't say it's a declaration of innocence by any means. Seems she's been harassed to the point where she felt it was no longer worth it. 

Unfortunately it happens a lot.

On 10/6/2023 at 8:04 PM, 1032004 said:

C’mon this is a garbage post.  AJ is innocent until proven guilty, but so is his accuser and yet you’re basically accusing her of filling false charges.  Lots of cases get dropped for lack of evidence or various other reasons other than the charges being fabricated.

The “thirst for attention” claim doesn’t really make sense since I’m pretty sure most people (including myself) have no idea who she is, and the “attention” is the exact reason given for dropping the charges.

Not really directed at you, but since you used the "innocent until proven guilty" line, I wanted to address that quickly.  Innocent until proven guilty only applies to taking somebody's freedom away.  People are not "innocent until proven guilty" in any other context, and you see us, in society, not hold to that standard all the time.  OJ Simpson.  Casey Anthony.  Trump and/or Biden right now.  You even see it in lesser circumstances like people making judgments on the athletes competing based on our very limited information.   People getting fired based off accusations. It's fine.  The court of public opinion does not have that standard, nor is it required to.  Part of being human is we form opinions.

On 10/7/2023 at 5:57 PM, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Ann Coulter's reasoning & research skills are considerable.  She didn't get to practice law by being a twit. 

Both statements are incredibly, incredibly false.  Ann Coulter's reasoning is terrible and biased, and her research skills are not provable based on what you've offered here.  There are many, many twit attorneys.

• Fire 8

14 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Why would TnT have any problem with an individual who has gone through legal due process of a charge sexual in nature? Young legally adult aged men will just be legally adult aged men after all.

https://case-law.vlex.com/vid/brands-v-sheldon-community-892105121

Didn't know this was ever a thing. It sounds as though he and his friends ran a train on some young girl. Terrible. Did he end up getting suspended like the report says?

Ann Coulter, call her whatever one will, certainly has been a prolific writer (or at least publisher):

https://www.thriftbooks.com/a/ann-coulter/203361/

That doesn't even include articles, such as the following which upset some people here in this forum:

https://anncoulter.com/2014/12/17/one-in-five-people-who-write-for-rolling-stone-are-morons/

EXCERPT:

"We are truly in the middle of a rape epidemic: an epidemic of women falsely claiming to have been raped. It’s said that “women never lie about rape!” But the evidence shows that women lie about rape all the time -– for attention, for revenge and for an alibi. All serious studies of the matter suggest that at least 40 percent of rape claims are false. The U.S. Air Force, for example, examined more than a thousand rape allegations on military bases over the course of four years and concluded that 46 percent were false. In 27 percent of the cases, the accuser recanted. A large study of rape allegations over nine years in a small Midwestern city, by Eugene J. Kanin of Purdue University, found that 41 percent of the rape claims were false."

__

She got her university degrees from Cornell & Michigan (Law), which both have fine wrestling programs.  I wouldn't be surprised if wrestling has benefited from her sheer existence, too.   Administrators know they can't claim cutting men's wrestling is pro-women as long as they know she lurks and will raise points the administrators find discomforting.   

I re-posted it to spare others the grief of having to either:

1) accept as true a negative assertion regarding Ann Coulter (who is at least indirectly an ally for men's wrestling); or
2) hunt down the excerpt on a previous page.   

Reposting it to rehabilitate its credibility doesn't seem necessary.   There were no compelling (or other) rebuttals of the material previously quoted from her in this thread.   

That said:  of potential interest, plenty of college club wrestling teams need help & energy otherwise spent attacking former or eventual wrestling champions:  http://www.ncwa.net/teams .      

I just got through defending a woman here in this thread and am called (through false attribution) a "womun hater" because of it.   So presumably only statist, pro-taxation, anti-male women (and their exhibitionist transvestite voter allies) count as real women, then?    Got it.      

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Granted, victims of sexual assault can consequently endure an STD for life, and an unwanted pregnancy potentially for life as well.   

Nice attempt to minimalize sexual assault. 

• Fire 1

I just got through defending a woman here in this thread and am called (through false attribution) a "womun hater" because of it.   So presumably only statist, pro-taxation, anti-male women (and their exhibitionist transvestite voter allies) count as real women, then?    Got it.      

Seriously, just stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Just zooming in on the previous photo of your club house. In case you missed it. :classic_dry:

My club house?  According to you:

But thanks for the close-up of that sign.   I nevertheless like the low property tax associated with the place.   

Well, I came here to discuss trying to help wrestling rebound and grow so... Ciao.   

On 10/9/2023 at 11:21 AM, VakAttack said:

The victim can not withdraw the charges, they are not technically parties to a case, they are witnesses.  The case is typically the state vs. the individual.  They can ask that prosecution be dropped or recant their allegations, but prosecutors get the final call, they have to decide if they feel they can prove the case.

It seems the alleged victim didn't want to testify, for whatever reason, so the prosecution dropped the charges or do you have a different read on it?  Obviously we are all speculating but curious your opinion on the legal case (not the alleged assault)