Paris 2024 Olympic Freestyle Team

RandolphTJones

2 hours ago, peanut said:

57 is interesting. Is there any chance a healed-up Spencer Lee competes for the spot? Can be Vito be effective at this weight? How will Suriano, Gilman, and Richards look? What are Ramos's chances?

If Spencer does not challenge, what is the point of signing with the HWC? Serious question. 

I think many people would love to see him compete, me included. 

I'd like to see Spencer compete if he's actually ready to go. I mean he has to have learned his lesson by now about taking the time to fully rehab. Better to hold off until Dec or the last chance qualifier next spring if he isn't back up to speed now. We could even see an interesting rematch with Matt Ramos if he doesn't win NCAAs this coming season. 

Unrelated: who has won OTT or WTT trials in the past, having qualified through the last chance tournament? 

Just now, CHROMEBIRD said:

I'd like to see Spencer compete if he's actually ready to go. I mean he has to have learned his lesson by now about taking the time to fully rehab. Better to hold off until Dec or the last chance qualifier next spring if he isn't back up to speed now. We could even see an interesting rematch with Matt Ramos if he doesn't win NCAAs this coming season. 

Unrelated: who has won OTT or WTT trials in the past, having qualified through the last chance tournament? 

Gilman after his Senior NCAAs.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Kyle Snyder's Frosh season?  Did he have to go through it too prior to his Worlds title?

2015 Snyder beat Cox in the semis then Varner in the finals at the US Open and then beat Varner 2-0 in best of three at WTT.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

On 9/23/2023 at 9:52 PM, lu1979 said:

57 kg - Vito A

65 Kg - Yianni

74 kg - Dake

86 Kg - DT

97 kg Snyder

125 kg - Gable 

If USAW is still offering the same award from the Living the Dream fund that they offered to JB in 2016 (and I think for Snyder in 2020) then a Gold in Paris could earn Gable $500K - the same would apply to Taylor - That is 10 Xs the amount Gable could have earned at this years WC.  I think he is going.

I would expect Gable to make a run at it too. Everything he has said up to this point indicates he wants that 2nd Olympic gold. Only thing I could see getting in the way would be WWE saying absolutely not (which is a possibility). 

PNWfan

14 minutes ago, PNWfan said:

I would expect Gable to make a run at it too. Everything he has said up to this point indicates he wants that 2nd Olympic gold. Only thing I could see getting in the way would be WWE saying absolutely not (which is a possibility). 

Shawn Michaels on Gable:

https://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/shawn-michaels-provides-update-on-gable-stevesons-wwe-nxt-status

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

This sounds like it isn't working. He goes from televised events in the minor leagues down to non-televised events and the reason given by the guy who pays his salary is he is too busy? What can he possibly be busy with given that he bowed out of his most recent real wrestling event? It doesn't add up.

• Fire 2

4 hours ago, PNWfan said:

Pretty sure he's done because he left his shoes on the mat again in his latest insta story

image.thumb.png.8d2316b05a709563d503e3fad7216a5b.png

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/20/2023 at 10:33 AM, nhs67 said:

As a reminder... this is how stupid 57 KG will look (Arujau), 65 KG will look (Retherford), 86 KG will look (Valencia).

For 57 KG and 65 KG the topside Semi-final winners will move on the the best of three finals against the bottom side semifinals winner between the 61/70 KG medalists and bottom side quarter-finals match winner.

For 86 KG, those winners will face off for the right to meet DT in the Bo3 Day 2.

Stupid.png

I hate this, why does the #2 seed get absolutely hosed with having to face the returning medalist? Even the #4/5 seeds get a little better draw in not being forced to wrestle the returning medalist.

The returning medalist(s) should be the #1 and possibly #2 seeds with their bye to the finals.

Here is how they should do it
image.png

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Wow...That is a polite way of saying they have zero interest in him. Why would they be when they have Logan Paula and other social media influencers?

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Pretty sure he's done because he left his shoes on the mat again in his latest insta story

image.thumb.png.8d2316b05a709563d503e3fad7216a5b.png

So what is he going to do if not Olympic wrestling or WWE? Maybe he'll make a run at MMA?

On 9/29/2023 at 7:10 PM, Dark Energy said:

Regarding the team in Paris, I’m ready for some younger blood on the team.  Hoping some of these young guys break through and represent.

Just curious, but who would you like to see? 

On 9/29/2023 at 3:21 PM, BobDole said:

I hate this, why does the #2 seed get absolutely hosed with having to face the returning medalist? Even the #4/5 seeds get a little better draw in not being forced to wrestle the returning medalist.

The returning medalist(s) should be the #1 and possibly #2 seeds with their bye to the finals.

image.png

But isn't that just a naming convention? In this bracket the real #1 seed is the medalist. The #1 listed is really the #2. The #2 listed is really the #3. Etc.

On 9/29/2023 at 3:21 PM, BobDole said:

image.png

Then they should wrestle at more “rankings” events to earn the #1 seed such as showing up to UWW events, Farrell etc. That high participation rate worked out quite well for Seabass at the world level and would be easily applied at the domestic level. But just like worlds, you can only do so much about the draw before you have to plain old beat the rest of the bracket to win the spot.

McKenna has been a good example of this over the past year.

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

But isn't that just a naming convention? In this bracket the real #1 seed is the medalist. The #1 listed is really the #2. The #2 listed is really the #3. Etc.

That is correct, however USAW does not seed the medalists, just place them in the bracket. 

Renaming the seeds, with the USAW way of doing it the #3 seed(USAW #2) has to face off with the #1 seed(medalist) in the semi-finals instead of what should be the #2 seed(USAW #1). 

The way I showed it assumes the medalist is the #1 seed and then runs everyone down the line as they likely should.

34 minutes ago, BobDole said:

That is correct, however USAW does not seed the medalists, just place them in the bracket. 

Renaming the seeds, with the USAW way of doing it the #3 seed(USAW #2) has to face off with the #1 seed(medalist) in the semi-finals instead of what should be the #2 seed(USAW #1). 

The way I showed it assumes the medalist is the #1 seed and then runs everyone down the line as they likely should.

Ahhh, I missed that part.