2023 World Wrestling tournament...

D3 for LU

15 hours ago, WildTurk said:

Kyle Dake just got done with his daily functional pattern movements in his Belgrade Hostel room of red light bulbs and organic fish matter.

He is now in a deep trance, sleeping naked upside down, hanging from copper leg shackles that are wired into the heart of mother Earth.

The New Dawn will not be kind to Sidakov

I jinxed him.  My Bad

Congrats to Sidakov.  Excellent game planning for Dake

• Fire 1

Dake shot one time and scored cleanly. When it was 3-3 he should have went on the attack. Sidakov was well prepared for the chest wrap. Kept shelving that leg and getting it off the mat. After the first time Dake should have know. Better but that’s his natural reaction. Great match. 

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

Dake shot one time and scored cleanly. When it was 3-3 he should have went on the attack. Sidakov was well prepared for the chest wrap. Kept shelving that leg and getting it off the mat. After the first time Dake should have know. Better but that’s his natural reaction. Great match. 

Dake looked stronger too with his shot finish. I totally expected him to stay after them. But I guess all of the hand fighting and arm ties worked against him. 

33 minutes ago, jross said:

A man who knows nothing about wrestling flew thousands of miles and spent thousands of dollars to ask his wife a question she could not answer, about a song that no one knows, that was played for a world champion who represented no country.

How has the experience been so far @Wrestleknownothing?

Belgrade is an interesting intersection between Europe and Russia. The old part of the city is a great walking city. The streets are always busy and very safe. All day and night there are woman in groups and singly walking everywhere. There are large swaths of pedestrian only streets and interesting things to see. An uncountable number of resteraunts and cafes lined all of the inner city. And we hit a fair number.

The Soviet feel comes from the immense amount of crumbling concrete. Crumbling building facades especially. But near the arena it is a spectacular amount of very bad concrete as far as the eye can see. The steps up to the arena are down right comically bad trip hazard on top of trip hazard. And the plaza is full of ankle breakers. None of this would pass building codes in the US. It is really hard to describe just how bad the concrete was. They would be amazed at the advances in concrete the west has made.

The inside of the arena was completely different and quite nice. Except for the bathrooms. Those were a weird experience. Apparently they do not have toilet paper or paper towels. There are not even holders for them. No soap. No working hand dryers. We took to bringing TP from the hotel just in case.

On the plus side, the wrestling and running of the event were great. All very professionally done. Excellent production values to support amazing athletes.

On the non-wrestling plus side, the hospitality was fantastic. One of the bartenders from the hotel came to watch wrestling with us today. The food was amazing. And the portions were ridiculously large while the prices were ridiculously low.

The wife and I really enjoyed the trip.

• Fire 6

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Belgrade is an interesting intersection between Europe and Russia. The old part of the city is a great walking city. The streets are always busy and very safe. All day and night there are woman in groups and singly walking everywhere. There are large swaths of pedestrian only streets and interesting things to see. An uncountable number of resteraunts and cafes lined all of the inner city. And we hit a fair number.

The Soviet feel comes from the immense amount of crumbling concrete. Crumbling building facades especially. But near the arena it is a spectacular amount of very bad concrete as far as the eye can see. The steps up to the arena are down right comically bad trip hazard on top of trip hazard. And the plaza is full of ankle breakers. None of this would pass building codes in the US. It is really hard to describe just how bad the concrete was. They would be amazed at the advances in concrete the west has made.

The inside of the arena was completely different and quite nice. Except for the bathrooms. Those were a weird experience. Apparently they do not have toilet paper or paper towels. There are not even holders for them. No soap. No working hand dryers. We took to bringing TP from the hotel just in case.

On the plus side, the wrestling and running of the event were great. All very professionally done. Excellent production values to support amazing athletes.

On the non-wrestling plus side, the hospitality was fantastic. One of the bartenders from the hotel came to watch wrestling with us today. The food was amazing. And the portions were ridiculously large while the prices were ridiculously low.

The wife and I really enjoyed the trip.

Have you explained to any of the locals how NCAA wrestling finals are better? 😉

Seriously though, I am very jealous.  

3 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

It's not that Dake doesn't want to score and is content with close matches. That was his old MO. Now he has become obsessed with the Dake bomb and he believes he can hit it on anyone, anywhere. But, as has become obvious, everyone now knows it's coming and they have game planned for it. 

• Fire 3

Yeah that doesn't work . That little Peterson he hit was clearly his move and doesn't score anything for Dake . But meh whatever

I thought the same thing watching it live, but on the replay you could clearly see after Sidakov hits the “Peterson” thing, Dake then did a little kick over that got him to expose.
  • Fire 2

I thought the same thing watching it live, but on the replay you could clearly see after Sidakov hits the “Peterson” thing, Dake then did a little kick over that got him to expose.
I should rewatch instead I'll just be wrong for awhile. :) haha dangit. Hope the girls show out !
  • Fire 2

5 hours ago, goheels1812 said:

Dake’s style at the world level has become increasingly more agitating. And it’s why magic man has surpassed him. Anyone who’s ever watched Dake in his career knows he can do so much more offensively. But he’s content to try and win every match against a competent opponent 3-0 while hugging his opponents in chest wraps as often as he can. I have no idea why he’s decided to pigeonhole himself into that. Meanwhile, DT says I’m going to pour it on anyone, anywhere as much as I want to. I wish Dake would start wrestling with that mindset.   

Taylor has always been someone who pours it on dating back to college. Dake always won closer matches. This isn't a new development. Internationally, Dake can overpower guys with underhooks and chest wraps, but isn't as dynamic offensively as Taylor. 

4 minutes ago, BaldAt23 said:

Taylor has always been someone who pours it on dating back to college. Dake always won closer matches. This isn't a new development. Internationally, Dake can overpower guys with underhooks and chest wraps, but isn't as dynamic offensively as Taylor. 

Good analysis.  Dake matches can be pretty boring, but his highlight reel is electric!