What is Penn State’s secret sauce?

scorenomore

11 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Do you mean any athletic scholarship, or any scholarship at all?

Erik was on record as saying he was getting a “full ride” to Cornell, so I’m sure they’re getting something at PSU either academically or need-based.  Depending on how much that is, I would think Mason at least would get something athletic, doubt Erik though.

"Full ride" at Cornell or any other Ivy means he gets lots of need based financial aid.  Ivy's do not provide athletic scholarships.  Always got a kick hearing people talk about themselves or friends that got "full rides" to any of the Ivy's.  Thoroughly enjoyed ratting them out!

• Fire 2

3 minutes ago, Red said:

"Full ride" at Cornell or any other Ivy means he gets lots of need based financial aid.  Ivy's do not provide athletic scholarships.  Always got a kick hearing people talk about themselves or friends that got "full rides" to any of the Ivy's.  Thoroughly enjoyed ratting them out!

"You weren't good you were poor"

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Red said:

Yeah I think most know about no athletic scholarships in the Ivys.  Do no Ivy’s give academic scholarships either?

Edited by 1032004

4 hours ago, Red said:

Same goes for the parents and friends of kids that go D3     

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2022 at 6:42 PM, Red said:

On 11/20/2022 at 6:46 PM, Piper said:

"You weren't good you were poor"

My uncle, who was a college coach and professor (whom taught a class in sports ethics) once remarked to me: "Harvard has a lot of poor kids on their hockey team."

• Haha 5

It would seem that Gable was a master of getting the very best of his wrestlers.   He could see what needed tweeking.   I think Cael and Casey have that same ability and take great recruits and make them unstoppable.  Cael's brother Cody also seems to be very good.  

mspart

• Fire 2

On 11/23/2022 at 3:45 PM, mspart said:

It would seem that Gable was a master of getting the very best of his wrestlers.   He could see what needed tweeking.   I think Cael and Casey have that same ability and take great recruits and make them unstoppable.  Cael's brother Cody also seems to be very good.  

mspart

And I'll add in Jake Varner, the RTC, alumni wrestlers in the room and more.....

image.jpeg

Their secret sauce, and it’s not very secret at this point, is Casey Cunningham. Wrestling coaching is about personality, Casey’s is the perfect yin to Cael’s yang. Obviously the burger is Cael, Cody is the lettuce and tomato but Casey is the secret sauce that brings it all together. 

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

Their secret sauce, and it’s not very secret at this point, is Casey Cunningham. Wrestling coaching is about personality, Casey’s is the perfect yin to Cael’s yang. Obviously the burger is Cael, Cody is the lettuce and tomato but Casey is the secret sauce that brings it all together. 

I think there is a lot to the complimentary theory. They have so many good coaches with different styles and approaches and no ego about who gets credit that it can be hard to tell from the outside who the greatest influence is on any one wrestler. I spoke to one multi-time champ that credits Cody, for example.

Just like styles make matches, styles make matches.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I think there is a lot to the complimentary theory. They have so many good coaches with different styles and approaches and no ego about who gets credit that it can be hard to tell from the outside who the greatest influence is on any one wrestler. I spoke to one multi-time champ that credits Cody, for example.

Just like styles make matches, styles make matches.

Yes agreed, lighter coaches more influence over lighter guys and heavier coaches more influence over heavier guys.  But all work very well in their roles.  

• Fire 1

The staff has been together a long time. They clearly mesh well together. 

And they appear to be better than everyone else at being able to work with the different styles of very talented wrestlers.  Definitely not one size fits all. 

They seem to start with the premise that they need to adapt their coaching to the athlete, not make the athlete learn to wrestle in the program's style.  We snickered at RBY putting his arm behind his back but they were working through a problem based on what that wrestler could do then.

• Fire 2