Oh Canada

Husker_Du

15 minutes ago, mspart said:

Let me guess where the 0% slope lands are - North Dakota or up by Winnipeg (essentially the same).   I went to the 1999 Pan Am Games in Winnipeg.   I was told by someone that it is God's pool table and that if you look hard enough, you can see the back of your head.    My eyes weren't that good back then so I couldn't see the back of my head but it was certainly 0% slope.

mspart

West Texas perhaps for 0% slope? There are legends of west Texas being so flat that you can see cars headlights coming your way from miles upon miles away.

• Fire 2

9 hours ago, ionel said:

Don't be Ban ... be better than Ban!

I said there's much more to this, most every 10 year contract period eligibility & incentives were tweaked.  Yes I've been on farms in IA, MN, IL, IA, MO, KS, OK, NE etc there's a difference with soil type on 0-2% slope vs 3-5% or sandy vs loam with 10mph wind vs 30 to 40 mph.  There are plenty of highly erodible soils on 3-5% slope and even wind related on 0-2% slope loamy sand.   Glacial soil deposits is a full semester+ course, we don't have time for that.  We could also look at adoption rates in and out of CRP as well as tillage and planting technology.   We are not talking about what you see out your window or read in some newspaper article but about research and facts.  Don't be Ban and try to make up your own facts, I've read your stuff, you are better than that.  🙂

OK, ionel. That'll do.

A few days ago, you hadn't heard of it - and now you are suddenly an expert on the subject.

On 9/6/2023 at 9:48 PM, ionel said:

Specifics please, what farmers, crops, states?  Paid to produce absolutely nothing, is this a new Biden Ag policy?  I have not heard of it.  

Not sure who you think you're fooling.

Question for @Husker_Du, @GreatWhiteNorth and any others with dairy farm backgrounds.

I buy half gallons of milk from a local dairy, Oberweis, in old school glass bottles. It is very expensive, but it is by far the best tasting milk. I can not go back to that crap in the plastic jugs that takes on the taste of the plastic. 

My problem is that it goes bad very fast. It sometimes only lasts 5-7 days before it starts getting chunky. My daughter gets Fair Life and claims it tastes good and lasts longer. Is there something that Fair Life does different than a local dairy?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

27 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Question for @Husker_Du, @GreatWhiteNorth and any others with dairy farm backgrounds.

I buy half gallons of milk from a local dairy, Oberweis, in old school glass bottles. It is very expensive, but it is by far the best tasting milk. I can not go back to that crap in the plastic jugs that takes on the taste of the plastic. 

My problem is that it goes bad very fast. It sometimes only lasts 5-7 days before it starts getting chunky. My daughter gets Fair Life and claims it tastes good and lasts longer. Is there something that Fair Life does different than a local dairy?

Decades ago, I worked as a milk man delivering this superior product.  It does taste better. 

Almost all milk is pasteurized, so it will  have a decent shelf life if stored properly.  Check the temperature of your refrigerator, I think 36 or 37 is the right temperature and store it towards the back.

As an aside - milk processing is counter intuitive.  All of the fat is removed and then skim milk is bottled.  Then they start putting the fat back in and homogenizing to make 1%, 2% and whole(3.25%?)

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

When still had the cows we had a bottle of fresh milk straight from the cow every morning.  It was the best milk ever.  We didn't try to store it, got another fresh bottle next day.  You are just being lazy, go get a fresh bottle every day.  🐄 🥛 

Edited by ionel

1 hour ago, ionel said:

When still had the cows we had a bottle of fresh milk straight from the cow every morning.  It was the best milk ever.  We didn't try to store it, got another fresh bottle next day.  You are just being lazy, go get a fresh bottle every day.  🐄 🥛 

No more milk than he uses he should maybe co-op a cow and get some hogs. 

1 hour ago, ionel said:

I just don't want to make the same mistake as Brother Hezekiah

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

6 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

i really don't know what Fair Life does. i'd imagine the fresh milk spoils quicker b/c it's not processed the same (as @Plasmodium outlined).

another thing to think about - there is a debate about the absorption of nutrients of processed milk vs. raw/minimally processed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8434398/

TBD

14 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Looks like posters here have most of this covered - except the material used to make the vessel.

I wonder what it would take to eliminate plastic jugs.

Glass has always been the best option, and lined paper cartons were a pretty good alternative. Never much liked the plastic jug but it has seemed to dominate for quite some time.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

7 minutes ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I wonder what it would take to eliminate plastic jugs.

Glass has always been the best option, and lined paper cartons were a pretty good alternative. Never much liked the plastic jug but it has seemed to dominate for quite some time.

Its udderly ridiculous that any would use anything but a natural container.

Not going to read six pages of shit, but did everyone see North Montana beat the piss out of USA for Bronze at FIBA?

We aren't even the best in North America at a game we invented.

• Haha 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

3 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Not going to read six pages of shit, but did everyone see North Montana beat the piss out of USA for Bronze at FIBA?

We aren't even the best in North America at a game we invented.

Aren't they both in North America? 

mspart

• Fire 1