Iowa's lineup for 2023-24

peanut

9 hours ago, pretty_rob said:

Gonna be ugly early too with Drake and Kennedy out. Iowa state will win going away. 

Kennedy will be back for Iowa st. Also  wouldn't count Drake out for that dual either. I could see 184 being a mix of guys and whoever competes will be the guy. My opinion Gabe is probably the best match up for Feldcamp in the dual . Swafford/Riggins and maybe Gabe gets his 5 between 174/184

Edited by Corby

8 hours ago, HarryConnickJr said:

Kueter hasn’t played an official down for Iowa football yet. Cool it with the draft BS

FIFY...Kueter hasn’t wrestled an official match for Iowa wrestling yet. Cool it with the multi sport BS

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

44 minutes ago, Corby said:

Kennedy will be back for Iowa st. Also  wouldn't count Drake out for that dual either. I could see 184 being a mix of guys and whoever competes will be the guy. My opinion Gabe is probably the best match up for Feldcamp in the dual . Swafford/Riggins and maybe Gabe gets his 5 between 174/184

Hey now.  Someone got shit on for saying that it made sense for a guy from two weight classes down move up last season.

Same guy also wants it to happen with Caliendo as well.  He is less crazy for that?

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

9 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

Hokit was un drafted and cut from rosters.  Kueter is a 4 star recruit and has a solid chance at getting drafted.  Hokit wasn't even a starter his senior year in college for Fresno State

How many D1 wrestlers in history have actually played in an NFL game besides Neal and Hasselrig?

25 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Didn't it used to be common when more big football schools had wrestling? I think of the Golics at ND, for example.

Yep... Oregon state still has wrestling, but an example would be Jess Lewis -  an All - American at defensive tackle and was drafted by the Oilers - he played one season in the NFL. He was also a 3x AA and 2x NCAA champ at heavyweight. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

How many D1 wrestlers in history have actually played in an NFL game besides Neal and Hasselrig?

Antonio Garay

Lorenzo Neal

Curly Culp (national champ in wrestling, HOF in NFL)

I'm sure there are more...

5 hours ago, PortaJohn said:

FIFY...Kueter hasn’t wrestled an official match for Iowa wrestling yet. Cool it with the multi sport BS

I never said anything about whether he wrestles or not (I have my doubts, 83% sure it is FB only)- so I don’t really have anything to cool off about 

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, 1032004 said:

More common back in the day 60's & 70's but since 2000 the only other player I can think of that had success in both was Antonio Garay

15 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

More common back in the day 60's & 70's but since 2000 the only other player I can think of that had success in both was Antonio Garay

Josh Hokit at Fresno State was a 2019 wrestling AA and returned senior year which was lost to covid. A few months later he made it to the final 2020 preseason cut as a fullback for the 49ers; got a training camp invite to the Cardinals in 2021 but was waived again.

i am an idiot on the internet

1 minute ago, bnwtwg said:

Josh Hokit at Fresno State was a 2019 wrestling AA and returned senior year which was lost to covid. A few months later he made it to the final 2020 preseason cut as a fullback for the 49ers; got a training camp invite to the Cardinals in 2021 but was waived again.

Yes he was who I brought up earlier, but part of PortaJohn's response was he never actually played in a game.   But I was assuming there haven't been more than a few particularly in the last 30 years or so that have.  Which maybe that's part of his point, but not sure when we're defining as "the old days."

• Fire 1

definitely old days but Jim Nance is another one that I don't think has been mentioned. 2 time NCAA champ ('63 and '65) and if wiki is to be believed still holds the Patriots record for career rushing touchdowns with 45.

• Fire 2

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Yes he was who I brought up earlier, but part of PortaJohn's response was he never actually played in a game.   But I was assuming there haven't been more than a few particularly in the last 30 years or so that have.  Which maybe that's part of his point, but not sure when we're defining as "the old days."

@Wrestleknownothing or @Jason Bryant might have the stats or easier access to them but just from general knowledge there were a few D1 wrestlers in the NFL in the late 60s to 70s.  A few less in the 80s into the 90s. And there are currently none that I know of.  We live in an era where premier athletes devote themselves to one sport.  It's even becoming more prevalent at the high school level let alone college.

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 2

7 hours ago, Idaho said:

Wonder if the bans will get lightened

If not, you can bank on Cassioppi going for an Olympic shirt.  Assad also qualifies.

On 8/23/2023 at 7:50 AM, 1032004 said:

Damian Covington was a state champ from Overbrook HS in NJ , same hs as Ron dayne , he beat  at the time immortal Pat Lynch who was 2x returning State champ who was on a 99 match win streak ( lynch was a multiple time AA for ASU), beat him twice in 2 weeks then played football at nc state but his JR year Sylvester Terkay was injured for nc state and the coach asked Covington to filled in and in 3 matches he went 3-0 all while practicing for a bowl game, he then was a 3rd rd pick for the bills, having 3 good years before tragically being murdered in a robbery at his cousins apartment back in NJ , he was home to rehab a knee injury , guys is a south jersey legend …

also Josh hokit recently from Fresno state was on the 49ers for a bit 

8 hours ago, Gus said:

Yeah, I don’t think that will work though. 

I would lean towards your being correct, although I do not actually know.

If they can get an appeal so it isn't season-long, maybe?

It is bullshit that Fix can test positive for PEDs amd no sort of ethics infraction is enforced so he can Oly-shirt but Cassioppi and crew can't bet on their own school?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

I would lean towards your being correct, although I do not actually know.

If they can get an appeal so it isn't season-long, maybe?

It is bullshit that Fix can test positive for PEDs amd no sort of ethics infraction is enforced so he can Oly-shirt but Cassioppi and crew can't bet on their own school?

It’s definitely an imperfect system. It will be interesting to see how the appeal process goes for these Iowa wrestlers. I have not heard what they bet on yet. I’m guessing that the the Iowa WBB tourney run was part of the bets for Cass, Brands, Assad, Sebreicht. 

14 minutes ago, Gus said:

It’s definitely an imperfect system. It will be interesting to see how the appeal process goes for these Iowa wrestlers. I have not heard what they bet on yet. I’m guessing that the the Iowa WBB tourney run was part of the bets for Cass, Brands, Assad, Sebreicht. 

I keep forgetting that Brands is in that list as well.  At least Cobe has a 'replacement' for the season.

If they intend to go that 'Oly' route I expect him (Brands) to enter the Open in December.