UNC

Dogbone

Kolat was hired as Campbell Head Coach in April 2014.

Coleman Scott has hired as assistant coach in May 2014. Became Head coach the following year and we all knew it was gonna happen when he was hired. You would think Kolat had a clue about Mock leaving in the next year. It always seemed like Mock was just sticking around for his kid. I am going to guess that the ship has sailed for Kolat and UNC.

Side note, the whole time he coached at UNC, there was a big picture of Jaworsky in the room. He LOVED looking at that every day at work.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

I’m not saying he isn’t going to leave. The whole concept behind going to Stanford though was that they were a sleeping giant and basically he could build a better version of Cornell out west with scholarships.

UNC has a weaker recruiting base and weaker alumni donation base than both Stanford and Cornell. So I’m not sure what he will actually be able to do there that he hasn’t already. 

This is true, UNC is kinda a poor man’s Stanford.  Maybe comparable athletics but worse academics.    But maybe it was harder to get kids into Stanford than he thought so he doesn’t think he can get the team to be as good as Cornell.  If it’s easier to get athletes into UNC then he probably thinks he can make them as good as Cornell then it would be pretty impressive to say he did that twice.

10 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

I’m not saying he isn’t going to leave. The whole concept behind going to Stanford though was that they were a sleeping giant and basically he could build a better version of Cornell out west with scholarships.

UNC has a weaker recruiting base and weaker alumni donation base than both Stanford and Cornell. So I’m not sure what he will actually be able to do there that he hasn’t already. 

NC State's success would seem to indicate success at UNC is not that big of a stretch, and I think we all know how much UNC hates to be 2nd choice to NC State in anything.

Also, if Koll takes the job, I'm guessing the financial commitment from the school and his fundraising abilities follow.

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

This is true, UNC is kinda a poor man’s Stanford.  Maybe comparable athletics but worse academics.    But maybe it was harder to get kids into Stanford than he thought so he doesn’t think he can get the team to be as good as Cornell.  If it’s easier to get athletes into UNC then he probably thinks he can make them as good as Cornell then it would be pretty impressive to say he did that twice.

Flo ranks Stanford's 2024 recruits as second only to PSU.  That's not a guarantee that they'll actually be accepted, but still...

2 hours ago, juniorvarsity said:

Kolat was hired as Campbell Head Coach in April 2014.

Coleman Scott has hired as assistant coach in May 2014. Became Head coach the following year and we all knew it was gonna happen when he was hired. You would think Kolat had a clue about Mock leaving in the next year. It always seemed like Mock was just sticking around for his kid. I am going to guess that the ship has sailed for Kolat and UNC.

Side note, the whole time he coached at UNC, there was a big picture of Jaworsky in the room. He LOVED looking at that every day at work.

I was at UNC for part of Kolat's time coaching there and there was not a large photo of TJ in the room, the hall leading to the room had old team photos including the years TJ was there, but the room itself was fairly undecorated, might have changed after my time, and that does make for a funny story, but at least when I was there it wasnt true

• Fire 2

On 8/25/2023 at 2:21 PM, Leg rider said:

I was at UNC for part of Kolat's time coaching there and there was not a large photo of TJ in the room, the hall leading to the room had old team photos including the years TJ was there, but the room itself was fairly undecorated, might have changed after my time, and that does make for a funny story, but at least when I was there it wasnt true

I have heard differently from someone that was there during the Kolat years as well. I was also told that Jaworski's Hodge was in the locker room.

• Fire 1

59 minutes ago, juniorvarsity said:

I have heard differently from someone that was there during the Kolat years as well. I was also told that Jaworski's Hodge was in the locker room.

I was there when he first got there and that wasn't the case, but I was also gone before the new locker room was finished, that could have happened when the facilities upgrades happened after my time, just wasn't the case during my time

11 hours ago, Scribe said:

UNC's fundraising and recruiting base will expand exponentially upon the hiring of Rob Koll, should that occur.  If it's easier getting folks in the door at UNC than it was at Cornell and Stanford, I say "look out!"  While UNC is not quite a Cornell or Stanford academically, it's a pedigree nonetheless.

UNC (admirably) prides itself on supporting folks from NC.  I've read in the past that 85% of UNC students are from NC.   My guess is that they reach out to folks of limited economic means more consistently than Cornell or Stanford.   Tax dollars subsidize UNC but I bet it's like U.Va:  only 7% of the overall academic budget (last I looked, long ago) comes from tax dollars.   Donations are strong as folks feel UNC's really a part of their community.   There have been some impressive wrestlers coming out of UNC over the past several decades.      

On 8/25/2023 at 3:10 PM, Ohio Elite said:

Be nice if the rest of the ACC had programs, but I'll take what we can get I suppose☹️

Clemson had a dang fine D1 team 'til closure, which happened during the mid 1990s (I think the same year as it did at the College of William & Mary in almost neighboring Virginia).   

Georgia Tech. had a team until maybe the mid-1980s.    I've read until later but I didn't see much evidence for that elsewhere.   

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

UNC (admirably) prides itself on supporting folks from NC.  I've read in the past that 85% of UNC students are from NC.   My guess is that they reach out to folks of limited economic means more consistently than Cornell or Stanford.   Tax dollars subsidize UNC but I bet it's like U.Va:  only 7% of the overall academic budget (last I looked, long ago) comes from tax dollars.   Donations are strong as folks feel UNC's really a part of their community.   There have been some impressive wrestlers coming out of UNC over the past several decades.      

There is a hard cap of 18% out of state so the lowest in state number could ever be is 82%, and yes the community and alumi base have proven very willing to support winning programs (the overall level of athletic success across programs is very high for a reason) the potential is certainly there, though I would love to see investments made in helping increase the level of high school wrestling in NC as well

16 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Clemson had a dang fine D1 team 'til closure, which happened during the mid 1990s (I think the same year as it did at the College of William & Mary in almost neighboring Virginia).   

Georgia Tech. had a team until maybe the mid-1980s.    I've read until later but I didn't see much evidence for that elsewhere.   

You are correct Clemson and William & Mary each discontinued after the 1995 season.

As near as I can tell GT had two wrestling eras. The first from 1948 to 1951, and the second from 1964 to 1989. The last time I see a GT wrestler at the NCAA tournament is 1981.

And I did not realize that GT was coached by 3 time NCAA Champ Lowell Lange until I found this article:

https://ramblinwreck.com/tgw-wrestling-returns/

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

13 hours ago, Leg rider said:

I would love to see investments made in helping increase the level of high school wrestling in NC as well

I wonder how that goal can be achieved...   Incidentally NC State had an NCAA individual champ nearly a decade ago who apparently went to high school in North Carolina.   I don't know if he transplanted in from up north, though...

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform

16 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

I wonder how that goal can be achieved...   Incidentally NC State had an NCAA individual champ nearly a decade ago who apparently went to high school in North Carolina.   I don't know if he transplanted in from up north, though...

He's from NC, and it was about five years ago.

Also Jax Forrest and Joe Sealey are from NC.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Fire 1

17 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

The answer to that is invest in youth and middle school programs, too many wrestlers in NC get started in high school, it is a top 10 population state and absolutely could be producing a higher level of wrestler with the right investments imho