UNC

Dogbone

5 hours ago, wrestlingest2010 said:

Casey is very good at what he does (among the best), development, scouting, helping his wrestlers make adjustments and cornering but the reality is running a program is a totally different animal. He instantly takes on a CEO role and it'll take away from the technical wrestling aspect that he seemingly enjoys the most. That combined with the fact that Cael has gone out of his way to make sure Casey is paid like he is a HC, that his family loves State College and both his sons will wrestle for him soon, I don't think schools will even try anymore. I heard Asher is going to be very very good. 

This is the biggest aspect that I think most fans of college wrestling forget about assistant coaches moving into head coaching roles. The amount of mat time is significantly decreased, because the amount of administrative tasks which require head coaching oversight increases exponentially. I guess Tony will have to weigh out which one is more important to him at this time.

That said--and not to turn this into an OSU thread--I have to wonder what Esposito was thinking would happen if he didn't leave for a shot at being a head coach somewhere else, like Coleman did. It doesn't appear that he or Guerrero before him were being set-up for longer term coaching success within that OSU structure.

24 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie said:

That's a decent point in their favor.  Koll I think we agree on.  Kolat I'd be less certain of.  Out of curiosity, would you prefer Ramos over guys like Hahn, B. Snyder, Jaggers, or Pendleton?  

I'm also inclined to agree with you re: Scott at OSU.  I don't think he's the answer.  

I think Ramos makes more sense than Snyder and Jaggers who haven't been HC's before that I'm aware of.   I guess you're right that Koll is a step above Kolat but I'd still consider him to be a "big name" and yes I would probably include Pendleton and Hahn in that group.    I don't see Pendleton leaving the other OSU for UNC, Hahn maybe.

48 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Question... and I mean no insult here:

Why does anybody in their right mind think Koll would go from Cornell -> Stanford -> Stanford(Oklahoma) -> North Carolina?

At his pay grade he would get a comparable number at best and he is in one of the most fertile recruiting grounds Folkstyle has to offer.

Koll went to UNC and won an NCAA title there, that would be the wild card.

• Fire 2

15 minutes ago, Gantry said:

That and the fact that Stanford is still looking for a conference home. If they can't get a conference deal squared away for football its possible that ancillary sports go on the chopping block again. Plus, who really wants to live in the dumpster fire that is California?

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Gus said:

That and the fact that Stanford is still looking for a conference home. If they can't get a conference deal squared away for football its possible that ancillary sports go on the chopping block again. Plus, who really wants to live in the dumpster fire that is California?

I can see your argument. Koll might not be running toward UNC, but away from Stanford.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

15 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I can see your argument. Koll might not be running toward UNC, but away from Stanford.

A combination of those two things. UNC being his alma mater is definitely a big draw. 

• Fire 2

16 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

If Koll were to come how control would they give him to get the ship sailing in the right direction. How important do you think the transfer portal and NIL are to building a strong program.

To me Koll to UNC has the potential for most significant impact. I think other ACC coaches would 'fear' that hire the most. 

To me Ramos is settling. Burroughs Taylor Snyder et al will definitely create a buzz but are unproven.

Kolat would be fine but not a game changer. 

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, 11986 said:

To me Koll to UNC has the potential for most significant impact. I think other ACC coaches would 'fear' that hire the most. 

To me Ramos is settling. Burroughs Taylor Snyder et al will definitely create a buzz but are unproven.

Kolat would be fine but not a game changer. 

OK lets take a vote and send it to the AD. I'm sure he will listen to us.

• Fire 2

23 minutes ago, Paul158 said:

If Koll were to come how control would they give him to get the ship sailing in the right direction. How important do you think the transfer portal and NIL are to building a strong program.

I think mastering the transfer portal is huge.

I want to believe that NIL is huge, but I am not convinced it matters as much as people on here want to believe it does for fringe sports like wrestling.

But that also means if some wealthy booster wants to treat NIL as a loss leader, they can potentially dominate a fringe sport.

9 minutes ago, Gus said:

I don't think that will effect if they have a program for the foreseeable.  They could/would easily get a B12 or MAC or some other partial membership home.  I imagine even the B1G might accept them for that.

22 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Ah yeah.  I honestly had forgotten about that entirely even though our senior seasons were the same year.  I just always attached him to Cornell because he had been there for over thirty years.

He could elevate the program to ACC dominance.  It would need to happen soon, though.  He is my age.  It would take 5 years minimum to elevate and a little more to establish relevancy as a perennial contender against NC State and Virginia Tech.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

29 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't think that will effect if they have a program for the foreseeable.  They could/would easily get a B12 or MAC or some other partial membership home.  I imagine even the B1G might accept them for that.

Ah yeah.  I honestly had forgotten about that entirely even though our senior seasons were the same year.  I just always attached him to Cornell because he had been there for over thirty years.

He could elevate the program to ACC dominance.  It would need to happen soon, though.  He is my age.  It would take 5 years minimum to elevate and a little more to establish relevancy as a perennial contender against NC State and Virginia Tech.

after I posted about Koll being best candidate, I thought about the age consideration as well and I do think it is a factor. On the good side he is the CEO type as others have noted vs needing to be on the mat a lot. But yeah, does he even want to make a run at it for a decade or so? How many current head coaches are older than Koll?

2 hours ago, 11986 said:

after I posted about Koll being best candidate, I thought about the age consideration as well and I do think it is a factor. On the good side he is the CEO type as others have noted vs needing to be on the mat a lot. But yeah, does he even want to make a run at it for a decade or so? How many current head coaches are older than Koll?

He could give us 5 or 6  years that would be great.

4 hours ago, MPhillips said:

I've always been under the assumption/thought and I believe that Kolat alluded to the fact or gave the impression that he wanted to coach wrestlers and not be the CEO of an organization...

It always seemed like Kolat liked the service academies because he could train the kids "hard" and not have a snowflake parent/administrator get in the way.  

3 hours ago, TexRef said:

It always seemed like Kolat liked the service academies because he could train the kids "hard" and not have a snowflake parent/administrator get in the way.  

How many parents get in the way at the D1 level? I know I have heard of 1 or 2 instances, but that seems the rare exception rather than the rule.

4 hours ago, TexRef said:

Nah he’s not any harder than any other person who builds and expects high expectations in order for those individuals to achieve their best self. This thread will devolve into toxicity by competition so let’s focus on the good stuff 😃

As an example of Kolat’s leadership:

Under his tutelage, Jacob Allen excelled both on and off the mat. A 2020-21 NCAA qualifier, Allen was named a 2022 First-Team CoSIDA Academic All-American. He graduated with a 4.00 grade-point average and was ranked No. 1 in the Class of 2022 in Academic Order of Merit, No. 2 in Military Order of Merit and No. 7 in Overall Order of Merit.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

17 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Nah he’s not any harder than any other person who builds and expects high expectations in order for those individuals to achieve their best self. This thread will devolve into toxicity by competition so let’s focus on the good stuff 😃

As an example of Kolat’s leadership:

Under his tutelage, Jacob Allen excelled both on and off the mat. A 2020-21 NCAA qualifier, Allen was named a 2022 First-Team CoSIDA Academic All-American. He graduated with a 4.00 grade-point average and was ranked No. 1 in the Class of 2022 in Academic Order of Merit, No. 2 in Military Order of Merit and No. 7 in Overall Order of Merit.

Good positive information. Kolat would do just fine at UNC. He is doing a great job at Navy. The military Schools are a different challenge for a coach and the wrestler .  You are working with young men that have a lot of obligations other than school and wrestling.

• Fire 1