Smokers (Meat)

Husker_Du

2 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

did a pork butt today. came out solid.

but when i bought it the other day, the store had a whole rack of Beef Ribs on sale so i scooped them too.

any advice on cook time/temp? i've never made them. 

Except for... nobody who knows how to bbq a pork butt has ever said that it came out "solid." Ever.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

i mean...what can i say; it wasn't awe inspiring. lol.

just being honest. i'm in the process of moving and had to do it in the oven. still better than the alternative of eating out every night like i've been doing the last month, but i'm sure it's not to the level of what you guys turn out. 

TBD

4 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

but when i bought it the other day, the store had a whole rack of Beef Ribs on sale so i scooped them too.

Anything that needs to break down (ribs, butt, brisket, etc) I like to keep hovering around 200-225. Full rack of beef ribs probably 6-7 hours. 

Don’t pay attention to GWN. He seems to feel like he’s king of all things. Good bbqin’ is all about finding your best way, not what someone wants to tell you your way to be. 

• Fire 4

You might look into for 321 or 3-2-1 rib method to get consistent results in 6 hours.

4 hours ago, headshuck said:

You might look into for 321 or 3-2-1 rib method to get consistent results in 6 hours.

Strangely for me, this time frame always overcooks my ribs.  It's more like 4-5 hours for me.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

Almost smoked some meat

It happened just the other day

It's been quite a long time

Since I had it my way

But I didn't and I wonder why

I grieve not smoking and want to die.

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!  I couldn't have done it without you all.   Some might say I should never have done it at all.   Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!

mspart

7 minutes ago, headshuck said:

I try to stay under 200 until the last 1 hour

No wonder.  I think I do them at 225.

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

15 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

What are you going to use to cook them.

I have to do them in the oven, sadly.

i just moved in to a townhouse type deal in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho after driving from Easton PA in a pick up truck with a duffle bag and nothing else. total rebuilding process. 

in other words, i don't have a grill or smoker. (nor a spatula lol).

but i do the keto thing so i'll be picking on the pork butt for a week and to me mediocre long cooks are better than the alternatives in both taste and for my diet. 

i appreciate the tips.

i didn't realize beef ribs called for so low a temp, but it makes sense. 

TBD

8 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

i just moved in to a townhouse type deal in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho after driving from Easton PA in a pick up truck with a duffle bag and nothing else. total rebuilding process. 

but i do the keto thing so i'll be picking on the pork butt for a week and to me mediocre long cooks are better than the alternatives in both taste and for my diet. 

i appreciate the tips.

You can do all that shit in the oven and it’s going to be good. Ribs in the oven are pretty good. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i appreciate the tips.

I suspect that they are back ribs because short ribs aren’t sold as a full rack often.  Sometimes, but not often.  If so, the meat is between the ribs, not as thick, and won’t take as long, maybe about four hours.  Still slow cook, look for a temp 200-205.  If they are short ribs, you can cut them into ones or twos and they’ll cook a little faster.  But will take from 7-10 hours probably.  You’ll need to remove the fat and silverskin before also.  Some salt will help them hold the moisture in.  Add other seasoning as  desired.  I like black pepper, garlic and onion powder, and a little coffee sometimes. 

• Fire 1

3 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

i appreciate the tips.

Pennsylvania to Idaho? That is a big move. Why Idaho?

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

18 hours ago, WrestlingRasta said:

Anything that needs to break down (ribs, butt, brisket, etc) I like to keep hovering around 200-225. Full rack of beef ribs probably 6-7 hours. 

Don’t pay attention to GWN. He seems to feel like he’s king of all things. Good bbqin’ is all about finding your best way, not what someone wants to tell you your way to be. 

I used to have similar conversations all the time with friends. Some like their steak rare, others medium, and others well done. So many of them were convinced they were 'right' - as if there's only one way to cook meat correctly. I don't believe I was ever able to change any of their minds... seems they each thought they are right, and so it goes. That's OK by me. It's more interesting than anything else.

I don't think I'm the "king of all things" at all. That's a hurtful thing to say. I don't remember ever saying anything remotely similar about you. But, so it goes.

10 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

Strangely for me, this time frame always overcooks my ribs.  It's more like 4-5 hours for me.

With baby-backs and some St Louis style ribs, 3-2-1 can overcook. 2-2-.5 is an adjustment I read online, tried and had luck with. After 2 hours, the ribs will likely be saturated with smoke so you won't be missing out there.