Iowa and Iowa State Involved in Gambling Investigation

Idaho

1 hour ago, PencilNeck said:

Link kind of short on details. Is this student-athletes having fun with a low stakes march madness pool, or something more serious?

The Alabama baseball coach was mentioned elsewhere (and in there) and sounds a lot more serious.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, gimpeltf said:

Gambling that's not licit? What part don't you understand?

"I'm not superstitious. But I am a little stitious."

"Nobody here is disgruntled. We are all very gruntled."

Michael Gary Scott

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 2
  • Haha 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

"I'm not superstitious. But I am a little stitious."

"Nobody here is disgruntled. We are all very gruntled."

Michael Gary Scott

Jan:  Michael, I think I might have underestimated you.

Michael:  Maybe next time you will estimate me.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

17 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I don't have a problem with it unless they were betting against themselves. 

I think betting on yourself can have certain conflicts of interest too. In theory betting on yourself shouldn't present a conflict of interest, but in practice there are a lot of ways one can wager on a sporting event.  The most famous college sports betting scandal in history didn't involve throwing games but shaving points. The team with the players in on the fix still won, but just not by enough to cover the spread.

Betting on yourself to win a wrestling match any outcome no point spread sounds fine in concept, but what about betting to win by second period fall?  I have an issue with that.  Betting to win by decision?  Also not good.  Betting to win with a point spread?  I don't like that either.  A wrestler might be ahead late, but must win by 3 to cover the spread on his wager.  I wouldn't want my wrestlers in a position like that where they are taking unnecessary risk late in a match because they are trying to win a bet.

The NCAA has rules that prohibit athletes from betting on any sport they sponsor at any level.  It's probably for the best.  If an athlete/gambler ends up taking large losses with their wagers on other sports or even on themselves to win they might become beholden to an unsavory individual who wants him to fix some event or tempted to bet on events they are participating in so they can influence the outcome.  The rule serves a purpose.

8 minutes ago, fishbane said:

I think betting on yourself can have certain conflicts of interest too. In theory betting on yourself shouldn't present a conflict of interest, but in practice there are a lot of ways one can wager on a sporting event.  The most famous college sports betting scandal in history didn't involve throwing games but shaving points. The team with the players in on the fix still won, but just not by enough to cover the spread.

Betting on yourself to win a wrestling match any outcome no point spread sounds fine in concept, but what about betting to win by second period fall?  I have an issue with that.  Betting to win by decision?  Also not good.  Betting to win with a point spread?  I don't like that either.  A wrestler might be ahead late, but must win by 3 to cover the spread on his wager.  I wouldn't want my wrestlers in a position like that where they are taking unnecessary risk late in a match because they are trying to win a bet.

The NCAA has rules that prohibit athletes from betting on any sport they sponsor at any level.  It's probably for the best.  If an athlete/gambler ends up taking large losses with their wagers on other sports or even on themselves to win they might become beholden to an unsavory individual who wants him to fix some event or tempted to bet on events they are participating in so they can influence the outcome.  The rule serves a purpose.

I would say betting on yourself to not cover the spread would not be considered betting on yourself...

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

I would say betting on yourself to not cover the spread would not be considered betting on yourself...

Betting on yourself to cover the spread can be problematic too.  Can cause nonsensical play calling, suboptimal strategy, or excessive risk to try and cover the spread  Betting on yourself in a money line situation would have less of a conflict of interest, but in some sports spread betting is standard.

One of the reasons MLB gave for banning Pete Rose (when he only placed bets for his team to win, never to lose) is that a non-bet means you think your team will lose and could signal insider information that makes the potential loss more probable than the current odds.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

5 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

NCAA athletes are also banned from betting on any professional sport where the NCAA holds a championship.

The last gambling related story that I can think of in NCAA wrestling was at Nebraska.  The Nebraska heavyweight JR Plienis got into some gambling debt betting on football (college and pro) and borrowed some money from the Nebraska head coach Tim Neumann to pay the debit.  Neumann I think actually took program money for the loan and he ultimately resigned over it and other accusation of improper compensation.  Mark Manning was hired as his replacement.  Plienis transferred, but was ruled permanently ineligible by the NCAA for the gambling. 

2 hours ago, fishbane said:

The last gambling related story that I can think of in NCAA wrestling was at Nebraska.  The Nebraska heavyweight JR Plienis got into some gambling debt betting on football (college and pro) and borrowed some money from the Nebraska head coach Tim Neumann to pay the debit.  Neumann I think actually took program money for the loan and he ultimately resigned over it and other accusation of improper compensation.  Mark Manning was hired as his replacement.  Plienis transferred, but was ruled permanently ineligible by the NCAA for the gambling. 

And that is how Jordan Burroughs became the greatest wrestler of our generation. 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, fishbane said:

It isn't like he was throwing matches or using insider information. He was just betting on games. Would they have done that if he participated in a weekly pool or an NCAA basketball bracket contest? The worst part of that was Neumann giving him $500. 

2 hours ago, Tripnsweep said:

It isn't like he was throwing matches or using insider information. He was just betting on games. Would they have done that if he participated in a weekly pool or an NCAA basketball bracket contest? The worst part of that was Neumann giving him $500. 

Overall the Neumann part was the worst bit.  Neumann would have had a duty to report Plienis's gambling.  Not only did he not do that but then he loaned him money and covered it up.  Neumann's involvement made it a major violation.

For Plienis's part I'm not sure the loan was worse than the gambling.  I feel like athletes have received small impermissible benefits akin to an interest free $500 loan for a few months without it ending their college careers.  It was more the gambling that lead to his death penalty.  I think if Neumann had loaned him $500 to fix his car Plienis would have wrestled again. 

• Fire 1

• 2 months later...