Spencer Lee has entered the US Open

bnwtwg

37 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

I'd like to see Spencer do well, but don't think this is his year. Not nearly enough recovery time from the college season, plus he will only have had a few weeks of mat practice. He's listening to his ego and not his body. 

We'll see. What's the worst that happens? His knees should be good by this point. He's...what, 15 months out. 

I'd think his ego may well him to wait until he's all the way back...but hey, now we're back to expecting less from Spencer Lee. He very rarely lives "down" to those expectations. 

Does that mean he will make it to the semis guaranteed and maybe lose there or win and lose the finals?   If he makes it to the finals, what shot do you give him?   I think he makes it to the finals.   I don't know after that.   I would guess he wins but Glory and Suriano are at least 2 probables that might get in his way. 

mspart

Edited by mspart
  • Fire 1

4 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Ok...so I'm your stalker because you posted a nonsensical one word reply and I asked what it meant in a thread I was already posting in and that you HADN'T been posting in recently?

Yup...that tracks with LBJ logic!

AKA personal forum antagonist.  AKA forum rival. 

LBJ sets the trap and wins a prize every time.

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, jross said:

AKA personal forum antagonist.  AKA forum rival. 

LBJ sets the trap and wins a prize every time.

in fact quite the opposite...

you wouldn't understand at all...

i do have to say spencer lee's good people...

great family and this is my not subtle way of saying i know them...

white picket fences and manicured lawns don't mean shit to us...

we embrace the suk...!

Come On Please GIF by NBA

• Fire 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, scourge165 said:

We'll see. What's the worst that happens? His knees should be good by this point. He's...what, 15 months out. 

I'd think his ego may well him to wait until he's all the way back...but hey, now we're back to expecting less from Spencer Lee. He very rarely lives "down" to those expectations. 

I don't think his knees are good.  Just based on observing him wrestle. 

• Fire 1

8 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

I don't think his knees are good.  Just based on observing him wrestle. 

I don't know that he's rebuild the muscle that comes with the atrophy of TWO ACL surgeries, so in that sense, maybe they're not. But they should be structurally sound by now if he had two reconstructive surgeries.  But, maybe not.

6 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I don't know that he's rebuild the muscle that comes with the atrophy of TWO ACL surgeries, so in that sense, maybe they're not. But they should be structurally sound by now if he had two reconstructive surgeries.  But, maybe not.

I hope they are better, but if they were I think he would have walked through NCAAs.  

• Fire 1

4 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

I hope they are better, but if they were I think he would have walked through NCAAs.  

I think Ramos had a good game plan and was able to keep it close and took his shot. But I think more than structural damage to his knees, the rehab limited his ability to actually Wrestle and get his gas tank back to where it needed to be. 

He's had a tank like a Ford Super Duty(love seeing 48 gallons just...slowly draining my bank account and will to live)...and instead it was like a Vespa(I assume they don't take much gas). 

I think once he gets the later fixed, we'll see him at his best. IF that's good enough or not...I don't know. Doubt he'll be there given the limited mat time since the NCAAs.

Or, maybe he needs another cleanup. Lots of scar tissue accumulates after 3 tears, so...I'm just guessing. And I'm hoping I'm right as it'd mean he's at least healthy, even if not at 100%.

Spencer worked very hard to hide it - and did a really good job at it. But he wasn't walking around much better than my grandma does (but she's a tough old bird.) His knees aren't yet OK, and his legs aren't anywhere near where they would be if his knees were good.

He's still in recovery mode. Which isn't to say he won't recover and be fine. It's just that he isn't anywhere near 100% yet.

Edited by GreatWhiteNorth

One ACL takes almost two years to get back to where you were before. Two ACLs simultaneously is darn near unchartered waters for high-level athletes. That makes the US Open a trap game for Lee no matter the outcome at this point.

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

One ACL takes almost two years to get back to where you were before. Two ACLs simultaneously is darn near unchartered waters for high-level athletes. That makes the US Open a trap game for Lee no matter the outcome at this point.

Yianni was competing about seven or eight months after his ACL surgery freshman year, and of course went undefeated that year.

9 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Is it certain both surgeries were performed last year?

I believe he had a surgery after his senior year of HS to fix the tear he had throughout that season. Then had both knees done at the same time last year. That in and of itself sounds brutal. 

• Fire 1

10 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

Yianni was competing about seven or eight months after his ACL surgery freshman year, and of course went undefeated that year.

Everyone can compete. My point was that a competitor is not back to fully optimal for about 22 months. Yianni and Spencer Lee are elite freaks and even they need to rehab.

Edited by bnwtwg
Grammar is hard

12 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

Everyone can compete. My point was that a competitor is not back to fully optimal for about 22 months. Yianni and Spencer Lee are elite freaks and even they need to rehab.

Yianni beat Eierman nine months after his injury (~8 months after surgery).

2 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

No one gives a shit. Yianni's recovery doesn't have any impact on Lee's recovery. I feel like you post this nonsense every time someone brings up Lee's knees. Yianni has had one ACL repair. Lee has had three. They are both fantastic wrestlers, and what they have been able to accomplish despite serious injuries is incredible. But you can't hold up what Yianni did after his surgery as a standard for what should be expected of Lee after a double ACL repair, or for anyone else for that matter. 

Also, Lee won his first title less than a year after ACL surgery, beating Tomasello and Suriano along the way. He also won his third title with at least one recently torn ACL. 

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, Crotalus said:

No one gives a shit. Yianni's recovery doesn't have any impact on Lee's recovery. I feel like you post this nonsense every time someone brings up Lee's knees. Yianni has had one ACL repair. Lee has had three. They are both fantastic wrestlers, and what they have been able to accomplish despite serious injuries is incredible. But you can't hold up what Yianni did after his surgery as a standard for what should be expected of Lee after a double ACL repair, or for anyone else for that matter. 

Also, Lee won his first title less than a year after ACL surgery, beating Tomasello and Suriano along the way. He also won his third title with at least one recently torn ACL. 

Did you happen to read what I responded to?  Let me remind you:

"One ACL takes almost two years to get back to where you were before."

I didn't say anything about Lee or his knees.

• Fire 1

19 hours ago, BigRedFan said:

It’s well known that Spencer Lee was also beating Eierman so I guess this is a moot point?