Gable Steveson returning to wrestling

Jimmy Cinnabon

13 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Anybody have insights into what happened here? Did WWE decide to focus on Logan Paul types instead? Obviously this is great news for the sport and team USA.  As a fan, I'm very happy to see this. 

Obviously I have no inside info ….

Gable does not seem to have the flamboyant personality for the wwe…. Nor the body type.  Maybe they moved on or he realized if he stayed with it he would be a mid level nobody.   

14 hours ago, AgaveMaria said:

He won't win another Olympic Gold. Too much time with the pro slobs to think he can come back and to top form.

Meh, I'm sure you were also saying before the last Olympics that Gable had no chance of beating Akgul or Petriashvili given his limited experience on the senior level. We saw how that turned out.

PNWfan

42 minutes ago, Caveira said:

Obviously I have no inside info ….

Gable does not seem to have the flamboyant personality for the wwe…. Nor the body type.  Maybe they moved on or he realized if he stayed with it he would be a mid level nobody.   

Didn't you get the impression that he was working on some of the tips and tricks he got in WWE media training during that interview? I sure did. And it seemed like it was kind of half-hearted, or maybe just too much against type to appear natural. Contrast it to when Chael Sonnen is on FRL and playing up his persona.

P.S. when you lead with Obviously I have no inside info...I absolutely feel like you have inside info. 

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

3 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

19 - 3rd

20 - N/A

21 - covid shirt 1st

22 - 1st

23 - redshirt?

The only motivation he could muster in the mirror for last season is that he hates Parris. Do you really think he would come back to beat up on Kerk and Cass and Schultz for the 500th time since grade school?

Huh????????

18 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

P.S. when you lead with Obviously I have no inside info...I absolutely feel like you have inside info. 

When you lead with wrestle know nothing me thinks you might know a thing or two.  😉

24 minutes ago, Fadzaev2 said:

Huh????????

It was Steveson’s eligibility clock. Someone brought up that he could come back to NCAA and the only way he could do that is by applying a redshirt to last year. Not a compliance officer but I believe that means he would need to be enrolled at least part-time one semester last year. *I am not a compliance officer*

i am an idiot on the internet

41 minutes ago, PNWfan said:

Meh, I'm sure you were also saying before the last Olympics that Gable had no chance of beating Akgul or Petriashvili given his limited experience on the senior level. We saw how that turned out.

" Who is Gable going to work out that can replicate Taha or Geno?  There is no one in the US who can wrestle like those two.  Gable is in for a rude awakening if he meets up with either of those two!"

Those people had it backwards!

47 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

It was Steveson’s eligibility clock. Someone brought up that he could come back to NCAA and the only way he could do that is by applying a redshirt to last year. Not a compliance officer but I believe that means he would need to be enrolled at least part-time one semester last year. *I am not a compliance officer*

At least before the covid rule changes, a year away from school is treated as the same as a red-shirt. Assuming the five calendar years to complete four eligibility years still applies with a plus one for both numbers (6 to complete 5), then this would be Steveson's last chance to compete in the NCAA, I believe.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing
  • Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I'm not sure what body type is the "wwe type."

I think there are two options for success. One is to create a persona that catches on with their dumb audience. The other is to be absolutely massive like Lesnar or some others, which is in itself a persona.

Gable doesn’t have either of those. What he does have is being an elite athlete and incredible wrestler, which doesn’t matter for WWE and seems to matter less than ever for UFC. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Fire 1

41 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

I think there are two options for success. One is to create a persona that catches on with their dumb audience. The other is to be absolutely massive like Lesnar or some others, which is in itself a persona.

Gable doesn’t have either of those. What he does have is being an elite athlete and incredible wrestler, which doesn’t matter for WWE and seems to matter less than ever for UFC. 

Ya this sums it up.   

25 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

I guess we'll see at the Open.

...and Gable absolutely has another year of college wrestling, if he chooses to use it.

I can see the humor radar is still frozen in Minnesota. 

Seriously, I will be interested to see how 125KG shakes out. It has a nice mix of veterans and recent college guys. Gable, time off or not, is the favorite. 

32 minutes ago, mspart said:

How often has this happened where an athlete leaves the university with eligibility left and then comes back a year or more later to use it up?

mspart

I'm not in NCAA compliance, but I do know several people who are.

The general rule is that you have five years to complete four seasons. Wrestling, with Olympic Redshirts, has an exception to that timeline, but the clock starts once you enroll full-time at any school.

COVID adds another wrinkle, but as long as the scenario you described is completed in five years, an athlete would be eligible to participate in non-consecutive seasons - but missing more than one would mean an athlete wouldn't be able to complete their entire, four-season eligibility.

If the timeline posted above is correct for Gable, I think he's exhausted his collegiate eligibility because 2023 would have been the 5th competition year (granted for COVID) and he did not take an ORS or any RS for that matter.  I suppose there could be some sort of appeal process that I'm unaware of, but I think his NCAA clock has expired. 

Edited by TylerDurden

10 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

I'm not in NCAA compliance, but I do know several people who are.

The general rule is that you have five years to complete four seasons. Wrestling, with Olympic Redshirts, has an exception to that timeline, but the clock starts once you enroll full-time at any school.

COVID adds another wrinkle, but as long as the scenario you described is completed in five years, an athlete would be eligible to participate in non-consecutive seasons. 

If the timeline posted above is correct for Gable, I think he's exhausted his collegiate eligibility because 2023 would have been the 5th competition year (granted for COVID) and he did not take an ORS or any RS for that matter.  I suppose their could be some sort of appeal process that I'm unaware of, but I think his NCAA clock has expired. 

The covid year doesn't count as part of the eligibility clock.  So, everyone who was in school then has a 6 year clock instead of the normal 5.

Some, like Taylor Lamont just completed their 7th year because of an additional medical shirt.

Edited by MNRodent
  • Fire 2

Gable says in this interview that he has another year of eligibility

He is a little boring TBH.  NTTAWWT, it's not easy to have the charisma that is typically needed for success in the WWE

Edited by 1032004

9 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

I don't understand why he would hate Parris??