Hodge Finalists announced

Jimmy Cinnabon

9 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Here's how I came to my conclusion. I didn't include the raw numbers because, well, it's not as pretty. 

hodge-stats.jpeg

How about deleting the total wins column since the value is more related to school scheduling which is out the hands of the wrestler.  I doubt it makes much of a difference in the ranking, but lets omit factors a wrestler can't control.

9 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Couldn't agree more. Using the word "considerations" would clear up a lot of confusion.

(But note that the word 'criteria' - strictly speaking - isn't actually used incorrectly. It's confusing because it is used in a different way than it is typically used in the wrestling world. Example - Your 'criteria' for a new truck could = fast, corners well, comfortable, seats 4, heavy duty towing, heavy duty payload, 4x8 bed, heated front seats. That is 'criteria', but it isn't definitive enough to actually select the best truck. To do that, you'd have to put the considerations in a defined order.)

Ah,  but your "considerstions" thus become your criteria for your decision.

24 minutes ago, RYou said:

How about deleting the total wins column since the value is more related to school scheduling which is out the hands of the wrestler.  I doubt it makes much of a difference in the ranking, but lets omit factors a wrestler can't control.

I think that is less true than it used to be. Cael Sanderson said in an interview that he was letting veterans choose when they wresled. And there was talk on here of Yianni skipping an early season tournament because of its proximity to a freestyle event. Those are just two examples, but I suspect it is more common.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

19 hours ago, TylerDurden said:

Over his career, that's probably true. Every win in the semis and final is over another All-American (that's eight without doing anything else).

Guys you beat in the quarters have some work to do on the back side and those who he beat in the first/second rounds have to win a ton to make AA. I may take a look at this and put a list together to see who the other seven were.  

If I recall correctly he defeated some monsters every round his freshman year. Huge upsets announcers were shocked or at least mesmerized he was defeating guys in quarterfinals. 

When you have to determine something between candidates who are close, you pick nits. In an era of ducking matches, I used this metric as a measure for this graphic to show he put it on the line more than anyone else. He wrestled every available match. If everyone had within a reasonable spread, I wouldn’t have used it. In some cases, Parris had almost double as some candidates. That doesn’t imply everyone ducked, but just another data point.

As everyone knows, there are lies, damn lies and statistics.

• Fire 2

Insert catchy tagline here. 

2 hours ago, RYou said:

Then quality of competition goes out the window. So now we can’t factor how many wins, how many pins/bonus, or quality of competition. 

2 hours ago, RYou said:

No way in hell Yianni finishes 5th in Hodge Voting.  At worst he'll be 2nd.

They pigeonholed this award from the onset that pretends to award the clearly most dominating best wrestler.. Kinda like the same people making the team score as it is at season ending tournament and can't figure out why it isn't interesting.

4 hours ago, headshuck said:

Hodge finished his college career with a record of 46-0 and 36 pins. So he must have had 14 his junior year if your stats are correct. Percentage overall was 78%.

Below is his full record from his entry in the Hall of Fame.  In my previous post I included his pin stats from his junior year.  He had 11 not 14.  Hodge had 10 pins as a sophomore, 11 as a junior, but after not winning a Hodge Trophy two straight years he stepped it up and got more than a dozen (15) his senior year.  Sadly he still did not win the Hodge Trophy.  You did have the correct number of falls for his career (10+11+15).

5 hours ago, headshuck said:

Also from NCAA.com:
“In all three of his NCAA finals appearances, he pinned his opponent; twice he pinned his way through the entire tournament”

The NCAA tournament was only 4 to 5 matches back in the old days.  He obviously did not pin at the same rate outside of the tournament.  Or do you expect that the stats from the HOF are incorrect?

DanHodgeRecord.png

14 hours ago, Jason Bryant said:

Here's how I came to my conclusion. I didn't include the raw numbers because, well, it's not as pretty. 

hodge-stats.jpeg

You didn't include raw numbers.  Are the numbers supposed to be rank?  If so, isn't there an error in the falls column?  Parris is 1, Alirez is 2, there is no 3, then you have 2 wrestlers ranked 4 (O'Connor and O'Toole).  Shouldn't O'Toole and O'Connor both be ranked 3 and not 4?

9 hours ago, Le duke said:

I have family near Greeley, in Fort Collins.

It’s the feed lots. Any time the wind shifts to being from an eastern direction, a lot of the Front Range towns get hit with the Greeley scent. Plenty of afternoons in Loveland and Fort Collins have been scented with the Odour d’Greeley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The "dairy air" as we called it... 

• Fire 1