2022 NCAA Pickem

nhs67

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

how does the draft work? I see you said "show up" above. Is it a live draft? If so, when? I am definitely interested, but don't want to commit then fade due to a conflict.

We did it via a thread on the old board (maybe it was PM, I don't totally remember), I would imagine we would start one on the Fantasy Wrestling board here.  I think it took us like 1.5 hours total.  Honestly, it went pretty smoothly.

As Vak mentioned, we conducted the draft using a 'snake' selection order.  I created a Spreadsheet using Google Docs, where we made selections real-time by cutting and pasting our selections from the tournament field into our respective slots.  Everyone selects someone for each weight class, plus a Wildcard selection.  All eleven count toward the final score.  (as a side note, ShakaAloha picked both finalists at 197 last year - as Dean was his pick & Warner was his Wildcard)

Zak prompted folks when it was their turn to pick.  People then made picks in one of three different ways:

1. Using the "chat" aspect of the Google Doc to make a selection & then I moved the wrestler to the corresponding slot on the selection board.
  2. We had an active thread on TheMat forum where people made picks & I populated the selection board.  This was the slower way to process picks, as we each had to constantly refresh the forum thread.
  3. Folks who were more comfortable with Copy-Paste on a spreadsheet made selections themselves.

It was really easy to follow if you use two monitors: one for the Google Docs & one for the forum thread.  If you don't have two, I'd recommend following action in the Google Doc.  I created Gmail accounts for everyone to turn it around quicker, but I can give access if you forward your email to me following registration (payment) with Zak.

Following each session, I downloaded tourney scoring by individual wrestler from TrackWrestling and published updates (usually within an hour of session end time).

Here's a snapshot of last year's draft board:

image.thumb.png.6acb081d96b7f25f303ea9d48e2a0cf8.png

Edited by lu_alum
  • Fire 1

10 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Sneaky...

I had to recruit my wife to help me...

That would be my option ... let me think about that ... ask my wife to venmo money for a wrestling pickem contest 🤔 ... she'd prob just tell me "here's $50 cash go take Wkn's wife out to dinner." 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Here's who I have participating so far:

1. @VakAttack
  2. @nhs67
  3. @MizzouFan01
  4. @lu_alum
  5. @Idaho
  6. @MPhillips

I believe we have one direct request to join from @Wrestleknownothing, if he confirms, I'll add him to the list of participants.

We have a couple of guys chiming in, but I'm not sure if they want to join, so i'll need them to confirm:

1. @Offthemat
  2. @bnwtwg

Finally, we need to see if some of last year's participants who haven't chimed in want to play:

1. ShakaAloha (Last year's champ, I don't believe he migrated here, but if he sees this, join in!)
  2. @flyingcement
  3. @Jerry Callo

I think we actually ended up with 9 participants last year after starting with 10, Hank disappeared on us (and I haven't heard anything from him since, hope he's ok).  Let me know!

Interested.  Does it cost?

1 hour ago, lu_alum said:

As Vak mentioned, we conducted the draft using a 'snake' selection order.  I created a Spreadsheet using Google Docs, where we made selections real-time by cutting and pasting our selections from the tournament field into our respective slots.  Everyone selects someone for each weight class, plus a Wildcard selection.  All eleven count toward the final score.  (as a side note, ShakaAloha picked both finalists at 197 last year - as Dean was his pick & Warner was his Wildcard)

Zak prompted folks when it was their turn to pick.  People then made picks in one of three different ways:

1. Using the "chat" aspect of the Google Doc to make a selection & then I moved the wrestler to the corresponding slot on the selection board.
  2. We had an active thread on TheMat forum where people made picks & I populated the selection board.  This was the slower way to process picks, as we each had to constantly refresh the forum thread.
  3. Folks who were more comfortable with Copy-Paste on a spreadsheet made selections themselves.

It was really easy to follow if you use two monitors: one for the Google Docs & one for the forum thread.  If you don't have two, I'd recommend following action in the Google Doc.  I created Gmail accounts for everyone to turn it around quicker, but I can give access if you forward your email to me following registration (payment) with Zak.

Following each session, I downloaded tourney scoring by individual wrestler from TrackWrestling and published updates (usually within an hour of session end time).

Here's a snapshot of last year's draft board:

image.thumb.png.6acb081d96b7f25f303ea9d48e2a0cf8.png

To have tied for most champs in Lee and Deakin, and I wasn’t even top 3. 😢 all about lineup depth, the PSU way of champs only didn’t seem to work 😂 

I remember why I didn't participate last year - this is always a crunch time of year for me and the time cost especially after work is just too much. If I can send a queue of picks and hop into the google sheet from my mobile as time allows then count me in, otherwise I'm jealous and will eventually join when life slows down.

i am an idiot on the internet

3 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

How quaint that you think $50 will get the job done.

Don't kid yourself WKN, ionel is smooth. You've seen his post'. She'll never be able to figure out why Applebee's just isn't the same with you.  That cat is as cool as the other side of the pillow.

6 hours ago, lu_alum said:

As Vak mentioned, we conducted the draft using a 'snake' selection order.

I had to Google that, but pretended like I knew what it was.

Of course it took me 36hrs to figure out Venmo, so I figure they were on to me.

Edited by MPhillips

11 hours ago, MPhillips said:

I had to Google that, but pretended like I knew what it was.

Of course it took me 36hrs to figure out Venmo, so I figure they were on to me.

Me as well.  I just followed Vak's lead during the draft last year. 

I also didn't understand the wildcard during the draft.  I thought the WC would replace your lowest scoring guy.  Didn't realize that all eleven (ten weights + WC) would count toward my total score.