Tom Brands hasn’t seen anyone better than Lee

Eagle26

Interview is on Flo. He says he is considering his heroes from when he was young, the current crop of our senior guys winning world/Olympic titles, and even the Russian all time greats. He says it isn’t an overstatement, but what are your thoughts? I feel like we still haven’t gotten to see the best version of Spencer Lee yet (or maybe we are just starting to see it). I mean the guy just came off of double knee surgery and is pinning the 2nd and 3rd ranked wrestlers in the country! So maybe it isn’t too much of a stretch, or is Brands just hyping his guy?

3 minutes ago, Eagle26 said:

Interview is on Flo. He says he is considering his heroes from when he was young, the current crop of our senior guys winning world/Olympic titles, and even the Russian all time greats. He says it isn’t an overstatement, but what are your thoughts? I feel like we still haven’t gotten to see the best version of Spencer Lee yet (or maybe we are just starting to see it). I mean the guy just came off of double knee surgery and is pinning the 2nd and 3rd ranked wrestlers in the country! So maybe it isn’t too much of a stretch, or is Brands just hyping his guy?

I am a believer.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Brands is not the type to overhype his guys. I think he sincerely means what he was saying. 

Brands lost me when swept in freestyle, saying he was better than Fadzaev and Belaglazov.  In folk, Lee will be in the all-time-greats conversation, probably top 5, but in freestyle he's yet to make a senior world team, let alone win 8 World/Olympic golds like those other 2.  

• Fire 5

9 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Best he’s seen as a coach? Seems like a pretty easy call having a 3x er. Who would he say comes next?

2 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

He says he is considering his heroes from when he was young, the current crop of our senior guys winning world/Olympic titles, and even the Russian all time greats.

36 minutes ago, BAC said:

Brands lost me when swept in freestyle, saying he was better than Fadzaev and Belaglazov.  In folk, Lee will be in the all-time-greats conversation, probably top 5, but in freestyle he's yet to make a senior world team, let alone win 8 World/Olympic golds like those other 2.  

He's obviously not talking about accolades, and more about wrestling skill and pure talent. It's his opinion but I can assure you he's not saying it in jest.

I just hope we actually get a few years of watching a fully healthy Spencer Lee wrestle freestyle.

I'll bite.  He's a 6th year senior dominating against a weak weight class.  The comment about comparing him to the greatest Russians is laughable.  With the current crop of Russians I believe Sadulaev won the world championships at 17 and followed it up with an olympic gold at 18.  

Edited by PortaJohn
  • Fire 3

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

31 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I'll bite.  He's a 6th year senior dominating against a weak weight class.  The comment about comparing him to the greatest Russians is laughable.  With the current crop of Russians I believe Sadulaev won the world championships at 17 and followed it up with an olympic gold at 18.  

to be fair, sadulaeuv had that russian BC so the ages you list are akin to asking a father what his favorite kid walks around at...

but...

the sentiment i agree with...

• Fire 1

4 minutes ago, LJB said:

i fear Lee is going to go down as one of the biggest what ifs in american wrestling...

he chose the shit style...

that is on him...

What if........he hadn't destroyed his knees trying to win titles for Brands.  Russians and Iranians won't hesitate to attack those hard, and if he can't make it through college without all of those injuries there's no way he'll make it long in international.

42 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

Sad is the best wrestler on the planet and maybe the best ever.  But he was like 22 when he won juniors.  Not to mention the state sponsored mandated doping.

3 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

What if........he hadn't destroyed his knees trying to win titles for Brands.  Russians and Iranians won't hesitate to attack those hard, and if he can't make it through college without all of those injuries there's no way he'll make it long in international.

that is on him...

he chose to wrestle for the NCAA...

one of the scummiest organizations ever...

he could have done something different...

don't blame anyone other than the one who ultimately makes that decision...

9 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Sad is the best wrestler on the planet and maybe the best ever.  But he was like 22 when he won juniors.  Not to mention the state sponsored mandated doping.

He won Men's worlds in 2014 for the first time not Juniors.  If you go by his Facebook page birthdate, October 1994, he was 19 years old when he won it  

• Haha 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

1 minute ago, PortaJohn said:

He won Men's worlds in 2014 for the first time not Juniors.  If you go by his Facebook page birthdate, October 1994, he was 19 years old when he won it  

you clearly missed the BC post on the googlewebs years ago that clearly showed he was 3 years older than what some of us thought at the time...

• Fire 1