Thoughts on improving freestyle

jammen

Do away with leg laces and trapped arm guts.  They're match-ending and boring.

Exposure points are only awarded if control is shown.

Instead of standing them up after 10 seconds give the top man a minute or two to do his stuff.  If the bottom wrestler gets away reward him with points.

There's more improvements but these are a good start.

• Haha 1

A point if you go the whole period without getting scored on.

If neither scores in a period, bring back the ball grab and use it to see who gets the point.

We need to reward inactivity.

• Haha 1

Grounding is the only thing that needs to get ironed out. About as frequently do I see the better guy get laced to a tech at a high level as I see someone get caught and stuck in folk.

I think with grounding an easy fix would be first time is an attention second is caution and 1 although I personally think grounding is a big part of the style and it's kind of interesting to watch guys who have mastered it, but I know it can be annoying to watch.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

On 9/14/2024 at 1:49 PM, jammen said:

Do away with leg laces and trapped arm guts.  They're match-ending and boring.

Exposure points are only awarded if control is shown.

People are mocking you on this thread for this comment. To spell it out: freestyle is different from folk style. Getting caught in a trap-arm gut wrench in freestyle is the same as getting cradled with an arm trapped in folk. Either you did something stupid or your opponent set you up perfectly. Either way, it's a death sentence and you earned it, knowing ahead of time that it's lights out if you get caught there. 

I will say that someone's comment about possibly limiting leg laces to 2 or 3 turns isn't something I love (again, if you're not a freestyler, see my first paragraph to understand)--but it's something I could stomach. Most of the time, a multiple-time leg lace is earned. However there are cases where leg laces are awkward and the only way not to get injured is to give up the 4 turns. A wrestling match shouldn't be decided based on the equivalent of being forced to tap out. It should be the move itself that causes the scoring, not the necessity of avoiding injury. Still, 95% of leg laces are earned or naively given up and deserved by both participants.

• Bob 1

On 9/15/2024 at 12:22 AM, CropDuster507 said:

If your feet hit the zone, prior to grounding, caution +1 for the other wrestler. You're fleeing.

something at least.

i saw 3 times where guys would ground. then the attacker, would spin around... and got called for a step out.

what garbage.

then in JB v marstellar, marstellar did this several times... and JB was going to spin around and stopped.. b/c he knew he was going to give up a point if he stepped out.

then after I got home from WTT, i talked to a buddy and he said that they had been rewarding the guy who  was spinning around... and not calling the stepout at the olympics.

I had not seen this.

anyone else see this at the olympics and the difference at WTT?

maybe its like LBJ would say, US refs don't know whats going on...

21 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

something at least.

i saw 3 times where guys would ground. then the attacker, would spin around... and got called for a step out.

what garbage.

then in JB v marstellar, marstellar did this several times... and JB was going to spin around and stopped.. b/c he knew he was going to give up a point if he stepped out.

then after I got home from WTT, i talked to a buddy and he said that they had been rewarding the guy who  was spinning around... and not calling the stepout at the olympics.

I had not seen this.

anyone else see this at the olympics and the difference at WTT?

maybe its like LBJ would say, US refs don't know whats going on...

Perhaps.  Also, interpretations change.

2 hours ago, lisa morales said:

Limit the amount of ref whistle blows to less than 100 per bout.  And maybe let wrestlers actually engage for more than 10 seconds of mat wrestling. 

Freestyle is a misnomer.  It should be called takedown wrestling and reviews.

Maybe "freestyle" actually refers to the refs - they get to freestyle and interact with the match however they want lol

Here's another angle on improving MFS.

Align the NCAA weights with the UWW weights.

Our MFS team will be better because they will be used to wrestling the weights they wrestle.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I agree with the grounding rule.   You step out, 1 point whether on the ground or not.  If you are on the ground and the other spins around to get a takedown, he gets the takedown.   Being on the ground is not an offensive move. 

mspart