New Ads

Guys, we just changed ad service. 

we didn't 'turn up' frequency of ad placement or anything.

i can understand your hatred of too many ads, but i promise you it's not on purpose. i want everyone to enjoy coming to the site.

it's an entirely new service, so there's bound to be some tweaks. give @BobDole a moment to fine tune it.

and continue to let us know here, what you're seeing (apparently we're all seeing different things).

thank you.

• Bob 2

TBD

Just now, Husker_Du said:

Guys, we just changed ad service. 

we didn't 'turn up' frequency of ad placement or anything.

i can understand your hatred of too many ads, but i promise you it's not on purpose. i want everyone to enjoy coming to the site.

it's an entirely new service, so there's bound to be some tweaks. give @BobDole a moment to fine tune it.

and continue to let us know here, what you're seeing (apparently we're all seeing different things).

thank you.

Thank you for the transparency, Brain.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Thanks for listening @Husker_Du.

Ads seem to kind of overwhelm the new mobile browser setup, at least for Safari.  I have had a pages reload themselves on me a few times while typing out posts.

The frequency of them in scrolling setups is also between doubled and tripled, and some encroach on the columns of the web page in a pulsing fashion.  At times it’s a lot of moving parts for the eyes to take in.

21 hours ago, alex1fly said:

Brave Browser on my PC doesn't have any annoying ads. So for me it seems that the problem is on the mobile browser. 

6 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Same experience as me

Brave Beta is the AOS version.

6 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Brave Beta is the AOS version.

As a FYI, I did download Brave Beta just to test it out and I have had zero issues with it.

I don't want to advocate using it, because I understand the need for advertisements.

That said, I have used it for less than 48 hours (I logged in at 7:25 PM two days ago, so ~43 hours).  These numbers do startle me, however I am unsure how 'bad' they actually are.

For clarification:  I have only visited these forums with this browser, so the numbers are exclusive to this site.

Screenshot_20240831_143155_Brave - Beta.jpg

• Bob 1
  • Brain 1

On 8/31/2024 at 1:37 PM, nhs67 said:

As a FYI, I did download Brave Beta just to test it out and I have had zero issues with it.

I don't want to advocate using it, because I understand the need for advertisements.

That said, I have used it for less than 48 hours (I logged in at 7:25 PM two days ago, so ~43 hours).  These numbers do startle me, however I am unsure how 'bad' they actually are.

For clarification:  I have only visited these forums with this browser, so the numbers are exclusive to this site.

If you're viewing on an employer-provided device then there is a strong likelihood that you cannot download the .exe required to install Brave, and you are are likely also limited to the browser(s) of choice as provided by your IT enterprise team (probably just Chrome and Edge, maaaaybe Firefox). Many extensions such as uBlock or AdBlock are also unable to be installed.

i am an idiot on the internet

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

If you're viewing on an employer-provided device then there is a strong likelihood that you cannot download the .exe required to install Brave, and you are are likely also limited to the browser(s) of choice as provided by your IT enterprise team (probably just Chrome and Edge, maaaaybe Firefox). Many extensions such as uBlock or AdBlock are also unable to be installed.

I mean... sure.  I understand the 'legal' logistics to it.  It works, though.

Love when the pop ups stake on each other and you have to be hyper careful to click the x button to close ad to be able to interact with site.  Happened just now with annoying tapatalk float up and an add.

Better part was that the ad was a moment delayed so when I when to click on continue (not get tapatalk app), the ad slide under my finger so I hit the ad instead.  

Not gonna lie, kinda sucks.

On 9/4/2024 at 10:04 PM, flyingcement said:

If you switch to the Brave browser, this thread disappears entirely

If I went back to my Motorola flip phone bet it would disappear also.  

(on desktop)

there's one video ad bottom right. you can click it and it goes away (for as long as you're on that page).

there's also a bottom banner ad that's permanent. 

THAT's IT. and that's the way it's staying.

if anyone is experiencing something different i'm all ears. 

TBD

19 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

(on desktop)

there's one video ad bottom right. you can click it and it goes away (for as long as you're on that page).

there's also a bottom banner ad that's permanent. 

THAT's IT. and that's the way it's staying.

if anyone is experiencing something different i'm all ears. 

Once the brain - and now he's all ears.  How the mighty have fallen.

• Haha 1

Willie,

I truly appreciate what you guys do to run the forum.  I aslo understand the bills need to be paid with some advertising.

That said, the experience on phones is not very good with the new ads.  There has to be a better way to do it than what is in place right now.  There is too much screen coverage and blocking of elements and controls.

Desktop is OK.

Thanks again for what you guys do.

-Phil

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is getting worse, more and more of this rap around border pop up, no screen function when its there.  I always have two ads in bottom right and when get a forum notice of new reply a pop up overlays it so can't hit view.  This is on both phone and tablet.  Away from home now but when return going to check our ad blockers options.  

10 minutes ago, ionel said:

Mine is getting worse, more and more of this rap around border pop up, no screen function when its there.  I always have two ads in bottom right and when get a forum notice of new reply a pop up overlays it so can't hit view.  This is on both phone and tablet.  Away from home now but when return going to check our ad blockers options.  

I installed Brave browser on my phone just to cruise this site. No ads. Been about a week. This is a great site but in this day you can’t subject regular users to so many invasive ads and expect them to not find a workaround. For me the ad count ranged from 30-60 ads *that made the site hard to use* for a 10 minute browse. Anyways I hope they’re getting the revenue they need without driving off new users. 

7 minutes ago, alex1fly said:

I installed Brave browser on my phone just to cruise this site. No ads. Been about a week. This is a great site but in this day you can’t subject regular users to so many invasive ads and expect them to not find a workaround. For me the ad count ranged from 30-60 ads *that made the site hard to use* for a 10 minute browse. Anyways I hope they’re getting the revenue they need without driving off new users. 

I don't want a different browser just for this site, using same browser across three platforms.  Its crazy that these ads take away functions from the forum.  I'd look for a new ad approach.  It is very frustrating.  

• Fire 2