Olympic Wrestling ... Day 6

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

they're very different circumstances. in 2016, taylor had lost the position to cox so he had a reason to be mad at cox's performance. whereas your made up beef between taylor and zain doesn't make any sense here

anyhow, I agree I would've wanted to see more action from zain, but to say that he didn't try is way off base. amouzad's an excellent wrestler show just shut zain down.

Taylor didn't have any valid reason to behave the way he did. Being angry is one thing, the comments were absolute Busch league stuff though.

• Bob 2

3 hours ago, nhs67 said:

I could smell the cigarettes on Musukaev on his walkout from across the Atlantic.

GUEST_789e3097-78e6-4d54-bc42-29d72e14df

... I guess that box of TicTacs didn't do the job, eh? 😏

D3

• Haha 2

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2 hours ago, Crotalus said:
2 hours ago, Gus said:
Andrew needs to get to a legit RTC and start putting in the work to be our rep. His style transitions really well to freestyle.

Agreed. I'm over the Zain/Yianni/N. Lee era. Hopefully, Alirez can do what they couldn't and actually improve as a freestyle wrestler.

He also needs to be able to win WTT/OTT - Something he has yet to be able to do.

Also, Mendez is younger, just outplaced him at OTT, then beat him 4-1 while looking considerably smaller at BTS.

I don't think Alirez is going to be our guy 

Edited by nhs67
  • Bob 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

22 minutes ago, Perry said:

Taylor didn't have any valid reason to behave the way he did. Being angry is one thing, the comments were absolute Busch league stuff though.

To be fair, DT expected the match to take place on an actual wrestling mat and not a slip'n'slide doused in original Dawn® ULTRA.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

To be fair, DT expected the match to take place on an actual wrestling mat and not a slip'n'slide doused in original Dawn® ULTRA.

Taylor had plenty of summers watching others on senior teams. Maybe he should have had more Fun and practiced on the slip n slide more often

• Bob 1
  • Haha 1

i am an idiot on the internet

39 minutes ago, Scouts Honor said:

the mat wasn't slippery for cox? 

i heard it

18 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

I believe Cox was the slippery mat

An ACME siren whistle effect would distinctly describe HOW slippery that mat w/ a Niagara Falls sweat show on Cox's body was like in that match...  if you have one handy, try it.😜

You'll see what I mean. 😏

D3

Edited by D3 for LU

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I know we always played the what if game - at 65kg especially - but the problem I think with Yianni getting out of the US could be his training mindset. 

He more than any of our guys wrestles in the manner that we've been seeing at the Olympics. He's got that soft touch tie up with quick burst and timing on the drop singles that we're seeing and can find ways to get in. (often times while getting in scoring opportunities he also is giving up points too much) However, when it comes to domestic competition- it seems like he's trained to wrestle all the guys he'll see overseas and he finds himself at our trials and domestic events in hybrid folk/freestyle matches that looks like is catching him off guard or unprepared for...

My intent is not to make excuses for Yianni and I was so pulling for Zain to do big things here but it just seems like Yianni always has a shot in some of these matches. I believe his second match with the Iranian he lost on a 4-4 criteria and he's beaten Tevanyan and Musakaev so he's seemingly right there but just needs a little push over the hill assuming he can get by domestic competition...

Edited by Doublehalf

3 minutes ago, Doublehalf said:

I know we always played the what if game - at 65kg especially - but the problem I think with Yianni getting out of the US could be his training mindset. 

He more than any of our guys wrestles in the manner that we've been seeing at the Olympics. He's got that soft touch tie up with quick burst and timing on the drop singles that we're seeing and can find ways to get in. (often times while getting in scoring opportunities he also is giving up points too much) However, when it comes to domestic competition- it seems like he's trained to wrestle all the guys he'll see overseas and he finds himself at our trials and domestic events in hybrid folk/freestyle matches that looks like is catching him off guard or unprepared for...

My intent is not to make excuses for Yianni and I was so pulling for Zain to do big things here but it just seems like Yianni always has a shot in some of these matches. I believe his second match with the Iranian he lost on a 4-4 criteria and he's beaten Tevanyan and Musakaev so he's seemingly right there but just needs a little push over the hill assuming he can get by domestic competition...

A lot of this is true, but Yianni has also lost to Tevanyan and I’ve not seen him against 2023 Muskaev. 

Yianni also seems to have a weight issue and that won’t get better by 2028. He may be eliminated by not having an ideal Olympic weight, unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

Tbh I'm not even sure Taylor didn't intentionally injure cox with his single finish to start that second period. Not j'dens fault taylor kept giving up points to a one legged opponent.

• Bob 3

2 hours ago, D3 for LU said:

GUEST_789e3097-78e6-4d54-bc42-29d72e14df

... I guess that box of TicTacs didn't do the job, eh? 😏

D3

You win the award for a mindset second to none. Great imagination- but nothing beats the zoot allure reference you posted yesterday.