Olympic Wrestling ... Day 4

Apparently that question was trending pretty well on Google.
Olympic organizers say the boxes hold an official poster designed by artist Ugo Gattoni. According to Olympics.com, the poster took around four months and over 2,000 hours to complete. All of the artwork was done by hand and each person, place and detail featured on the poster is unique, organizers said.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

22 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

Yeah I didn’t mean that as an insult to Brooks. Just a recalibration of the level that he is on. They are great US wrestlers. Herbert made the semifinals of the Olympics as well (and Russia was there).

I saw his three matches as disappointing because I was comparing him to the guy we sent the past 4 years (who he beat). But others have highlighted that it’s comparable to his prior results. 

Russian are at this Olympics as well. Ramazanov is Russian, for instance. 

38 minutes ago, Gus said:

Herbert is a 2X NCAA champ with a 149-4 career record and a world silver medalist so not exactly a complete dud. He was one controversial call away from an olympic medal also.

This isn't quite right. If you want to say he was one controversial call away from forcing a third period, fine, but he lost the first period in that bout against Sharifov.

I'm also not saying that Herbert wasn't good, he definitely was, and I'm also not going to die on a hill arguing who is better at similar points in their careers even though I think Brooks is better. But Brooks is definitely better than Hrovat in the international medal contender comparisons. So perhaps my issue is more with lumping Hrovat in with the "level" of Brooks and Herbert as opposed to Herbert/Brooks.

In the end, I think it's harsh to write Brooks off after a loss in the Olympic semifinal in his first go. One position cost him a spot in the final. 

• Wrestle 1

12 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

What is in the little but long box they get after the medal? A bracket? A document of verification?

Clapper sticks61taybqFIwL._AC_SX679_.jpg

61EiGeR7sFL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Edited by gromit

I've been watching the Olympics on NBC, USA, and E!.

Do they have the same idiotic commercials and crowd shots constantly on Peacock?  I watch the Olympics to see athletic competitions, not to see Snoop Dog watching athletic competitions or Reba, etc, etc advertising some upcoming NBC series or some idiotic movie.  It's a wonder my TV is not at the bottom of the hill across the road. 

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, TylerDurden said:

Russian are at this Olympics as well. Ramazanov is Russian, for instance. 

This isn't quite right. If you want to say he was one controversial call away from forcing a third period, fine, but he lost the first period in that bout against Sharifov.

I'm also not saying that Herbert wasn't good, he definitely was, and I'm also not going to die on a hill arguing who is better at similar points in their careers even though I think Brooks is better. But Brooks is definitely better than Hrovat in the international medal contender comparisons. So perhaps my issue is more with lumping Hrovat in with the "level" of Brooks and Herbert as opposed to Herbert/Brooks.

In the end, I think it's harsh to write Brooks off after a loss in the Olympic semifinal in his first go. One position cost him a spot in the final. 

I listed Hrovat because he beat a guy that likely would have done better against international competition, and it was the same weight. But also, don’t disrespect hrovat-it’s possible Brooks is closer to him than he is to Taylor. Hrovat was no slouch, just never medaled.

And if you want to argue Russia/Belarus not competing didn’t impact the strength of the weight, fine. But I don’t buy that argument. 

2 hours ago, alliseeisgold said:

I think brooks is getting judged too harshly .....he didn't look bad...it's just his style ...one in which is not likely to win close matches like NCAA against foreigners. Even dake loses close matches to foreigners. 

It's all stylistic. Taylor 100 percent would of dominated this Belarus guy. ...and brooks would fare better vs yazdani then the Belarus will. Just like brooks did vs Taylor

Brooks would of given yazdani a go.

He looked like shit the 2nd period against the Bulgarian.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

And if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

Taylor lost. Brooks lost.

Your Uncle would have beaten the Bulgarian, too.

The guy with the British accent doing track and field event commentary is drunk. He also seems to get drunker from day to day and hour to hour. That's pretty cool.

I know we do lists of Americans wrestling for other countries, but we need a list of Russians wrestling for other countries before all world competitions. Failure to do this should result in a felony conviction. 

Of the remaining wrestlers, I'm looking forward most to Blades and Snyder. The big uns. 

1 hour ago, Eagle26 said:

Would you rather just have USA wrestling just pick whoever they think is best? This is America… I like that we give opportunity to everyone. Congrats to Brooks he earned the right to be there and will probably walk away with a bronze

Democratic Party hand picked Kamala…………

• Brain 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He looked like shit the 2nd period against the Bulgarian.

Careful-It seems as if the consensus is that he wrestled great for who he is given how tough the competition is and the guy who dominated the last two worlds regressed into a shell of his former self. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Bob 1

13 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

just looking back at Ramazanovs past results he lost to kadi at euros at 79kg's 10-3 and to osman nurmagomedov 6-2 this year. He did tech chance though.

The same Osman that Amine just beat in the match of the week, right?

13 minutes ago, Truzzcat said:

just looking back at Ramazanovs past results he lost to kadi at euros at 79kg's 10-3 and to osman nurmagomedov 6-2 this year. He did tech chance though.

He’s also 31.  If he beats Yazdani then I think it’s not just sour grapes to wonder if he may have had some “help”