Collegiate Duals: First Place

Wrestleknownothing

Brooks had so much grace in the way he behaved after the upset loss.  Did not storm away like a frustrated child.  He gave congratulations to his opponent, shook his hand and walked off the mat with all composure and no attitude. Similar to the story told about how Yianni acted after losing to Gomez.  Brooks is a high character guy and is my favorite Nittany Lion

• Fire 2

5 hours ago, flyingcement said:

Brooks had so much grace in the way he behaved after the upset loss.  Did not storm away like a frustrated child.  He gave congratulations to his opponent, shook his hand and walked off the mat with all composure and no attitude. Similar to the story told about how Yianni acted after losing to Gomez.  Brooks is a high character guy and is my favorite Nittany Lion

Brooks definitely seems like a wonderful young man.  

But he was stuck.

• Fire 2

22 minutes ago, RYou said:

When was the last time you saw 7 of 10 DI bouts end with a pinfall? (Penn State 50-3 over Central Michigan)

That is not great for CMU.  While this current crew of PSU studs is definitely outstanding, they are not known as pinners.  They really are not even the prolific bonus point machines that the Lions produced in the past.  

8 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

Live by the edge, die by the edge. @nhs67 how's that underhook doing? 😉

Pretty good.  He is 1-1 against PK on the season and is still the best guy to beat Brooks at NCAAs.

Let's not forget how the match was up to that score.

Also, why tag me?  I am not a Wolfpack guy.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

33 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Pretty good.  He is 1-1 against PK on the season and is still the best guy to beat Brooks at NCAAs.

Let's not forget how the match was up to that score.

Also, why tag me?  I am not a Wolfpack guy.

Because you’re a staunch Hidlay believer so I wanted to rib you. Also because I had lots of wine and was feeling quite merry (not so much this morning)

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

i am an idiot on the internet

I am missing something though,  having only seen Hidlay rassle once (last season). What's so noted about his underhook, or anyone's for that matter?

It's not like you often hear someone say,  "Yeah, his opponent has a great low single,  but,  man,  his undertook is WICKED!"

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

13 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

I am missing something though,  having only seen Hidlay rassle once (last season). What's so noted about his underhook, or anyone's for that matter?

It's not like you often hear someone say,  "Yeah, his opponent has a great low single,  but,  man,  his undertook is WICKED!"

Hidlay controls his opponents with his underhooks as well as any single wrestler does with any single tie up in NCAA wrestling right now. He uses it to control position in his matches and scores off of it. Reminiscent to how the Iranians use the underhook. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Gus said:

Hidlay controls his opponents with his underhooks as well as any single wrestler does with any single tie up in NCAA wrestling right now. He uses it to control position in his matches and scores off of it. Reminiscent to how the Iranians use the underhook. 

As do most,  minus the supposed scoring that he does off of it.

Granted I never used an underhook in my life,  but I believe that it is primarily used to move your opponent and control position. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

I would hate to have to try to come from behind to beat Hidlay. He will hang out on the edge in neutral to take away legit chances for you to score. He can also use that under hook to take time off the clock. From top I have seen him push guys straight out when he feels an escape coming on. Poetic justice that Keckeisen dragged him back inside the line to hit that suicide cradle. 

13 minutes ago, Pinnacle said:

I would hate to have to try to come from behind to beat Hidlay. He will hang out on the edge in neutral to take away legit chances for you to score. He can also use that under hook to take time off the clock. From top I have seen him push guys straight out when he feels an escape coming on. Poetic justice that Keckeisen dragged him back inside the line to hit that suicide cradle. 

See: both matches with Aaron Brooks.

Hidlay backs straight out of bounds, over and over and over again. It's infuriating. He literally refuses to wrestle and is not hit for stalling. In the NCAA championship in 2021, he spent more than a minute in the first period alone with at least one, if not both, of his feet on or over the line. 

Edited by Le duke

If wrestling on the edge is so problematic then maybe people should start lobbying to see it removed. 

I've heard SO MUCH griping about it over the years,  and maybe I'm wrong,  but there is strategy for some to rassle on the edge.  Some use it to counter from,  for instance.  Yes,  it may not appease the audience to watch it, but they don't have to satisfy the audience,  they have to win. 

As long as it's within the bounds of the rules,  a W at the end of seven tough minutes is all that matters. 

4 hours ago, Ban Basketball said:

idk it worked pretty well for Imar to the tune of 4 NCAA finals appearances and 2 titles, not to mention pushing JB to the limit at Final X

Edited by bnwtwg

i am an idiot on the internet

2 hours ago, Formally140 said:

Maybe you just sucked at Underhooks

Maybe,  but maybe,  JUST MAYBE,  I liked to rassle from the outside and didn't like ties.

Never heard of that,  eh?

7 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

idk it worked pretty well for Imar to the tune of 4 NCAA finals appearances and 2 titles, not to mention pushing JB to the limit at Final X

Did the underhook ALONE win for him?

That was all that I was asking.  Not having seen Hidlay rassle much and someone talking about his awesome underhook, I was just trying to figure out how that was a go-to move to score. 

Set up? Sure,  I get that. 

8 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

"what's so good about underhooks?" is a hilarious take lol

he literally planted your boy with it for 6 like two weeks ago

Where did I say the exact words that you are quoting me on,  sir?

Edited by Ban Basketball

7 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

Did the underhook ALONE win for him?

That was all that I was asking.  Not having seen Hidlay rassle much and someone talking about his awesome underhook, I was just trying to figure out how that was a go-to move to score. 

Set up? Sure,  I get that. 

The underhook is his set up to score. He is not scoring from just going out and throwing an underhook lol. Underhooks set up hrow big singles, inside steps, push-push-pull snaps, etc.