Has Coleman Scott found a new job yet?

On 6/29/2024 at 9:57 AM, 1032004 said:

Wow, then the Cowboy Screwjob is even worse than I thought.

Head Coach of a successful D-1 program at UNC -> assistant at OK State -> out of the sport completely

12 hours ago, GreatDane67 said:

All we hear about on this forum is how he got screwed. How did his recruits at UNC feel when he left them to be the alleged coach in waiting at OSU?

Coleman took a calculated risk and it did not pan out for him. He will be okay.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Does going from D1 Head Coach to out of the sport completely sound OK?

He went from D1 Associate Head Coach to out of the sport completely.

35 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

He would still be a D1 head coach at UNC if he did not choose to pursue a different position. Again, he will be okay.

29 minutes ago, Gus said:

He would still be a D1 head coach at UNC if he did not choose to pursue a different position. Again, he will be okay.

Do you see him landing another D-1 coaching job?  How about D-2 or D-3?  High school?

13 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Do you see him landing another D-1 coaching job?  How about D-2 or D-3?  High school?

Isn't there only 1 college with those positions where he currently lives?  A high school job probably isn't going to pay the bills.  Maybe he doesn't want to move his family a second time in a year to a 3rd city?

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Apparently Rutgers just reached out to him regarding their vacant assistant head coaching job. He will be high on the list for all vacant D1 jobs. He would be a lock for any D2, D3 and HS coaching jobs.

1 hour ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

His choice - Scott could land a HC or assistant job at a D1 school pretty easily - if he doesn't it will be because he is making that choice, not because he has been banished. 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

21 minutes ago, Gus said:

Apparently Rutgers just reached out to him regarding their vacant assistant head coaching job. He will be high on the list for all vacant D1 jobs. He would be a lock for any D2, D3 and HS coaching jobs.

but live in the jerseys 😯

“I interviewed for a job and didn’t get it. They screwed me” is not the mentality of an Olympic medalist. Or probably any wrestler for that matter. IMO. Betcha his family doesn’t want to move again so soon and there’s no D1 openings nearby. 

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, BloodRound said:

He lived in Oklahoma.  I think he can manage.

No one i know who lives in Oklahoma would move to New Jersey.  

56 minutes ago, ionel said:

No one i know who lives in Oklahoma would move to New Jersey.  

This really only matters if you know Coleman Scott!

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

1 hour ago, alex1fly said:

“I interviewed for a job and didn’t get it. They screwed me” is not the mentality of an Olympic medalist. Or probably any wrestler for that matter. IMO. Betcha his family doesn’t want to move again so soon and there’s no D1 openings nearby. 

Surprising -- the almost complete lack of sympathy toward Coleman Scott.  The view here seems to be "tough cookies, you'll be fine."

1 minute ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Surprising -- the almost complete lack of sympathy toward Coleman Scott.  The view here seems to be "tough cookies, you'll be fine."

What is the reason for sympathy?

It seems like he rolled the dice and lost. He left a head coaching job for the chance at a different head coaching job.

I know some have theorized he was promised the other head coaching job, but others have theorized he was not promised. I am not aware of any claim by Scott that he was promised the job. So absent any promises, he just miscalculated.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

It sucks for Coleman and he seems like a great guy. That being said no program is going to turn down David Taylor, especially when you couple in the financial backing that came with him. The timing is unfortunate for Coleman with the main jobs being filled prior to his departure but there will be openings and are current jobs for him. As mentioned, the assistant spot at Rutgers as well as the developmental job for the cadet and junior guys which is a pretty sought after position. He will bounce back, I'm sure it stings now but when the dust settles it should fuel him to just be an even better coach and show Okie state what they missed out on.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Do know it’s far more complicated than that. Espo left and we were shocked. Then Coleman came in and we were so stoked. The improvement and energy was apparent. He was all in. The athletes seemed jazzed. We started to look like the OSU of old again. Then John retired, which we knew would happen eventually but didn’t know when until the announcement. Then Coleman lost the job to a literal GOAT of American wrestling. So yes, sad for Coleman because we were excited to have him take over. But also excited to have David Taylor come in.  

So if you want to push a narrative that’s fine but recognize that it’s complex for anybody that follows the program even when it’s not making headlines. It’s been a roller coaster and every OSU fan I know is still making sense of it which will probably take several years of actual wrestling.  

Edited by alex1fly

OSU people love Coleman. The fact that it was even a close decision and the division it’s causes within the alumni base tells you all you need to know about how OSU people feel about CS. It’s a terrible deal and he did deserve better. At the same time, I can’t imagine anyone not coming to the same conclusion that Weiberg did when he hired DT. I’d absolutely love for CS to be a part of the program in some way but that’s just not happening at this point. Too many hills for DT to climb foe him to take that risk. He has to assert himself and his new culture. There can’t be two perceived leaders or any kind of clinging to the old. 

• Bob 2

On 6/29/2024 at 8:53 AM, H82Lose said:

A few rumors floating around, he is going to stay in Oklahoma and get into sales. 

On 6/29/2024 at 5:46 PM, AgaveMaria said:

What, selling tornado proof trailers?

He should start a business selling beds. Call it Coleman's Cot.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, alex1fly said:

Do know it’s far more complicated than that. Espo left and we were shocked. Then Coleman came in and we were so stoked. The improvement and energy was apparent. He was all in. The athletes seemed jazzed. We started to look like the OSU of old again. Then John retired, which we knew would happen eventually but didn’t know when until the announcement. Then Coleman lost the job to a literal GOAT of American wrestling. So yes, sad for Coleman because we were excited to have him take over. But also excited to have David Taylor come in.  

So if you want to push a narrative that’s fine but recognize that it’s complex for anybody that follows the program even when it’s not making headlines. It’s been a roller coaster and every OSU fan I know is still making sense of it which will probably take several years of actual wrestling.  

I just want to chime in that as much as we love DT (myself included), he is not the GOAT of American wrestling.