Um...is Trent Hidlay possibly our rep at 86kg?

Just now, Truzzcat said:

3 highland cows that I don't think are used for milk and definitely are not for beef they wear bows.

Yeah that's all I ever saw.  To be a "working farm" wouldn't one of them cows need to be a bull?  🤔

3 minutes ago, ionel said:

Yeah that's all I ever saw.  To be a "working farm" wouldn't one of them cows need to be a bull?  🤔

Maybe one of them identifies as a bull.   Then it is a working farm.   See, that was easy. 

mspart

• Haha 3
  • Clown 1
  • Ionel 1

Back to the topic, Why couldn't David Taylor compete in the Olympics.   He is the #2 guy.   He could have Big John take care of bizness  until he gets back.   Perhaps he just doesn't have the hunger for it like he once did.    That seemed to come out in the trials.   But I think he could still do it if it came to it.   But perhaps it is not feasible to do both.   Probably not.   He's got to go recruiting etc.   I'd hate that part of the job. 

mspart

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Not necessarily, the cattle rearing process is impressively segmented, cattle could be at new placed once ever 6-12 months depending on what they are being raised for.  

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Not necessarily, the cattle rearing process is impressively segmented, cattle could be at new placed once ever 6-12 months depending on what they are being raised for.  

I am familiar with working cattle operations, we had dairy, feader calves and cow calf(not all same time).  But if he ain't milking em or eating em and there ain't no bulls then ...

Also 3 is hardly a "working" operation, no need to sell em, bring them to Oklahoma. 

Edited by ionel
  • Bob 2

53 minutes ago, ionel said:

I am familiar with working cattle operations, we had dairy, feader calves and cow calf(not all same time).  But if he ain't milking em or eating em and there ain't no bulls then ...

Also 3 is hardly a "working" operation, no need to sell em, bring them to Oklahoma. 

This is true, his cows are a lot more like hoofed dogs.

• Bob 2

12 hours ago, maligned said:

On the 5% chance that the sketchy reporting of Brooks' adderall situation is reliable AND the situation can't get resolved--is Trent Hidlay our guy at the Olympics at 86kg?!?

DT just took one of the biggest D1 jobs in the middle of transfer season. There's no way he's coming back to compete.

Valencia injury defaulted the Challenge tourney True 2nd match with Hidlay, and so Hidlay took the 3rd spot in the US National Team pecking order.

Are we locked into Hidlay as next-in-line if Brooks' situation results in a suspension??

That would be pretty wild if it were to happen, but would also be a great lesson for guys who default out of WTT/OTT when they're out of the championship side. Finish the tournament, you never know what might happen.

• Bob 3

14 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

I think most people would do just about anything for a shot at a gold medal. When you look at the landscape it would be about 2.5 months of training and he's mentioned before that his wife really holds things down for him. I think that he would try and make it work. I do not think he would be training at NLWC though I would imagine Dake maybe splits time with him as well as Varner and he brings some guys in if this were to happen. Perhaps I'm looking at it with rose tinted glasses though because I believe David could still win gold and for Trent it would be an uphill battle for bronze.

Dustin plott, Christian Carroll and chris perry would not be bad partners as well.

I believe he'd still train at the NLWC.

You don't just lose those lifelong friendships and bonds because you decide to take one of the top 3, 4 jobs in the sport. If Cael and the kids/young men at the NLWC are who we think they are, they'd 100% be in DT's corner, they'd want him there and to be in his corner. 

• Bob 2
  • Fire 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, scourge165 said:

I believe he'd still train at the NLWC.

You don't just lose those lifelong friendships and bonds because you decide to take one of the top 3, 4 jobs in the sport. If Cael and the kids/young men at the NLWC are who we think they are, they'd 100% be in DT's corner, they'd want him there and to be in his corner. 

Well Starocci is a punk because he tries to play heel.  He isn't good at it, though.

Everything I have heard and spoke to people about (in person, mind you at B1Gs and afterwords via Twatter or whatnot) was that he was just upset because he just wanted to wrestle and that he is actually one of the nicest guys on the planet.  This is also speaking to some of his competitors that he 'seems' to beef with.

I dropped the (l) in Starocci for a reason.

Edit: What I mean by this is that even though Starocci is whinging now, I think it is more because he is upset DT is leaving, not how he is leaving.  If DT is 'next man up' the entire family there will run it back one more time before he rides off in to the sunset.

Edited by nhs67
  • Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I don't think it's so much there will be bad blood I just don't see how David could be in state college for 3 more months. you can start recruiting rising Juniors June 15th and I'm sure he wants to get in the room with the guys to mend any potential hard feelings. It would be hard as an athlete to have full confidence in a guy who got named your head coach in May and did not show up full time until almost September.

• Bob 1

21 hours ago, KennyEBHS said:

The NFL considers it a PED and suspends a player for four games.

It 100% is a PED and a perscrption shouldnt mean shit. It wouldnt for medical marijuana. And it shouldnt for something that will actually help in a sport.

5 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Well Starocci is a punk because he tries to play heel.  He isn't good at it, though.

Everything I have heard and spoke to people about (in person, mind you at B1Gs and afterwords via Twatter or whatnot) was that he was just upset because he just wanted to wrestle and that he is actually one of the nicest guys on the planet.  This is also speaking to some of his competitors that he 'seems' to beef with.

I dropped the (l) in Starocci for a reason.

Edit: What I mean by this is that even though Starocci is whinging now, I think it is more because he is upset DT is leaving, not how he is leaving.  If DT is 'next man up' the entire family there will run it back one more time before he rides off in to the sunset.

I honestly thought that Starocci's comments were about someone else. About guys just taking money(Aliverz for example). I didn't read it as him taking a shot at Taylor. 

Maybe that's naive, I know everyone else did, but I just viewed it as taking the money to Wrestle elsewhere.

There's really no way you can blame DT. If Cael had hinted at hanging it up, I think DT would stay, but...he's not. Also, I thought Sanderson's hirings at PSU was one of the coolest things for the sport at that time, but also REALLY shitty. He elbows out Douglas and then parlays that into the PSU job? And I remember saying right then he's going to build an Iowa like Dynasty(which I remember arguing with my coach about, but I think a LOT of people probably saw that coming given Penn's in-state talent...didn't see THIS type of dominance though). 

Anyway, I agree, they'd rally behind him. You can't blame the man for doing what..you KNOW you'd do in that situation or what your own coach and mentor did. 

• Bob 2

16 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Another question, and really no one wants it to come down to this: Is Trent Hidlay our 2024 NCAA 197 lb champion?

Oh jesus, I hadn’t even thought about that.  Is adderall on the NCAA list? That feels like something PSU would be all over.

4 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

Oh jesus, I hadn’t even thought about that.  Is adderall on the NCAA list? That feels like something PSU would be all over.

I think it is fine with NCAA if you have TUE, however I think it is possible that if you are disciplined by the governing body of your sport then the NCAA disciplines you as well? I suppose things could get very complicated.

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Another question, and really no one wants it to come down to this: Is Trent Hidlay our 2024 NCAA 197 lb champion?

I am going to guess, no.

2 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I think it is fine with NCAA if you have TUE, however I think it is possible that if you are disciplined by the governing body of your sport then the NCAA disciplines you as well? I suppose things could get very complicated.

The NCAA rule says "A student-athlete under a drug-testing suspension from a national or international sports governing body that has adopted the WADA code shall not participate in NCAA intercollegiate competition for the duration of the suspension." And Brooks was not under suspension given that he was allowed to participate in the trials.

Now let's say USAW decides to take away his titles. I would guess any suspension would be from that point forward. A retroactive suspension would not be punitive in USAW's eyes.

There was nothing I saw in the NCAA rules about losing an NCAA title due to losing an international title.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I am going to guess, no.

The NCAA rule says "A student-athlete under a drug-testing suspension from a national or international sports governing body that has adopted the WADA code shall not participate in NCAA intercollegiate competition for the duration of the suspension." And Brooks was not under suspension given that he was allowed to participate in the trials.

Now let's say USAW decides to take away his titles. I would guess any suspension would be from that point forward. A retroactive suspension would not be punitive in USAW's eyes.

There was nothing I saw in the NCAA rules about losing an NCAA title due to losing an international title.

I think Fix's suspension was retroactive, which is one of the reasons I posted.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

8 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I think Fix's suspension was retroactive, which is one of the reasons I posted.

Interesting. Fix was given a provisional suspension while he appealed. After entering a consent agreement with USADA the start date of the provisional suspension became the start date of the formal suspension. So, the question is did Brooks receive a provisional suspension?

Of course, that is on top of the original question, did any of this even happen, or is it an overactive , irresponsible imagination at work?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Interesting. Fix was given a provisional suspension while he appealed. After entering a consent agreement with USADA the start date of the provisional suspension became the start date of the formal suspension. So, the question is did Brooks receive a provisional suspension?

Of course, that is on top of the original question, did any of this even happen, or is it an overactive , irresponsible imagination at work?

Yes it is all very weird.  I hope he is our man in Paris (and wins gold), and I hope nothing funky happens to the NCAA results.  Just something that occurred to me!

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken

5 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Yes it is all very weird.  I hope he is our man in Paris (and wins gold), and I hope nothing funky happens to the NCAA results.  Just something that occurred to me!

Yeah, me too. That is why I looked up the rules the other day. Of course, this is a case where my username has never been more accurate.

• Haha 1

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

Yeah, me too. That is why I looked up the rules the other day. Of course, this is a case where my username has never been more accurate.

NCAA rules knownothing!

I was a very "low man on the totem pole d2 and d3 coach", decades ago and I know way less now than I did then, I'm sure!

I would bet Hidlay would get a wrestleoff with Taylor.

But if it’s Taylor, people saying he’d still train at NLWC are crazy.  He’s got his own RTC now, he would absolutely be repping Cowboy RTC, but maybe he’d roll around with Dake at M2 before he sells it.

• Bob 1

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I would bet Hidlay would get a wrestleoff with Taylor.

But if it’s Taylor, people saying he’d still train at NLWC are crazy.  He’s got his own RTC now, he would absolutely be repping Cowboy RTC, but maybe he’d roll around with Dake at M2 before he sells it.

I don't think Trent would get a wrestle-off.

I'd imagine Taylor is in Stillwater full time within the next week or two.  Probably sooner rather than later.

On 5/7/2024 at 10:32 AM, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Train with NLWC?  Isn't he a competitor now? 

Train with Nickal? Nope!

Brooks?  Highly unlikely!

Question is.  Would psu fans and / or Cstar boo Taylor at the Olympics?