Taylor's Assistants at OKST

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I’ve wrestled some wolverine mfers who felt like they were made of wood.

I have watched gabe dean’s eyes after he got absolutely rag dolled by kyle dake.  There are levels to human beings. A man who had 40 lbs on dake, and a man who finished 3-1-1-2 at ncaa’s.  

People tell the same stories about John Smith from the 2000’s in the OSU room.

I think Mike Mal said it best.  “Eric Guerrero would ragdoll me, just embarrass me, I can’t move him a foot, and then he would go with John, and he would look like he’d never wrestled a day in his life.”

So yes, I believe those stories.  Our ego’s don’t want us to believe those stories.  Video evidence is helping keep our egos in check. 

I actually deleted my post. What I stated was true, but I decided I didn't want to deal with the hassle from Gable-worshippers! 

You are probably right about ego not wanting us to believe those stories. That said Gabe wrestled 184 and Dake was 165 his last year. 19 pounds is significant, but that's a long road to hoe from Dan Gable weighing 150 pounds and supposedly tossing about 190 pounders or HWTs in practice.  Now I could believe Gable maybe getting takedowns on bigger guys, but "ragdolling"? No way. 

Edited by NM1965
  • Bob 1

24 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I have watched gabe dean’s eyes after he got absolutely rag dolled by kyle dake.  There are levels to human beings. A man who had 40 lbs on dake, and a man who finished 3-1-1-2 at ncaa’s.  

I think Mike Mal said it best.  “Eric Guerrero would ragdoll me, just embarrass me, I can’t move him a foot, and then he would go with John, and he would look like he’d never wrestled a day in his life.”

So yes, I believe those stories.  Our ego’s don’t want us to believe those stories.  Video evidence is helping keep our egos in check. 

Oh, what wolverines are you referring to? 

Posted (edited)

This will be interesting.

As others said, I imagine Kennedy will be one, which is also interesting as it opens up a job at PSU.

Dake certainly seems like an option as well, but if he stays in State College and plans to go another cycle, what about Nolf?

Edited by 1032004

14 minutes ago, ionel said:

Yes ... Dake wins all fantasy coaching matches above 42 degrees.

LMFAO...wow. I said I didn't think Dake would be a great face of the program...he just feels a little too...Aaron Rodgers-ey to me(ignore the political stuff, I'm talking about the other stuff)...but just the weird about some stuff. 

But, hard to argue with either...when it comes to their respective success in their sport. Though, Rodgers did say he thought psychedelic shrooms strengthened tendon, and he got a little lax on his intake before last NFL season.

*Again, NOT vaccine or politically related!!! I want that to be clear. Not a hill I'm even climbing, much less fighting on!

• Bob 1

Gilman, Kennedy, Cox.

He needs an upper weight and their might not be a better one in the country right now, as far as optics goes, than Cox.  Bury the hatchet and make the phone call today, DT.

Gilman and Kennedy almost seem like formalities need to simply be made at this point.  Cox is the final piece.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Smith allegedly was arguing for Scott late in the game.

Ugghhh. This might be a fkn disaster: we got two powerful ego-maniacs (JWS and DT) at odds from the jump. 

Edited by jackwebster

10 hours ago, Doublehalf said:

Let it begin!

who do we have for assistants??

I have a feeling Mark McKnight goes out there with him for some reason. Dake I'm not sure about especially with what his family is going through right now... maybe after the Olympics and things settle down he could be a guy that heads out there... Does he keep Perry? Does Coleman want any part in it?

Someone has to run M2.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

This reminds me of Roy Batty's "tears in the rain" monologue in Blade Runner.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion... I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain... Time to die."

Rutger Hauer GIFs | Tenor

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Bob 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Doublehalf said:

Let it begin!

who do we have for assistants??

I have a feeling Mark McKnight goes out there with him for some reason. Dake I'm not sure about especially with what his family is going through right now... maybe after the Olympics and things settle down he could be a guy that heads out there... Does he keep Perry? Does Coleman want any part in it?

Perry will stay

• Haha 1

The best move would be to keep Coleman Scott on staff.  He actually has experience running a program, and would be a tremendous asset to Taylor.  

Taylor understands the wrestling side of it, but will need someone who can actually navigate the administrative side of things.  Scott might be the best guy for this job.  He's got experience, he knows the kids, and he's a Cowboy.

Unfortunately, there might be an air of weirdness that would prevent this.

• Bob 1

16 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

The best move would be to keep Coleman Scott on staff.  He actually has experience running a program, and would be a tremendous asset to Taylor.  

Taylor understands the wrestling side of it, but will need someone who can actually navigate the administrative side of things.  Scott might be the best guy for this job.  He's got experience, he knows the kids, and he's a Cowboy.

Unfortunately, there might be an air of weirdness that would prevent this.

Weirdness ? Coleman Scott is probably burning every piece of Oklahoma state clothing that he owns right now . He sold his house left a pretty good head coaching position and moved his family across the country with promises he was the next head coach , now one way or the other he’s out of a job , how many years will he have to wait til another job even on the UNC level presents itself? 

• Bob 2
  • Brain 2

12 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I know a lot of guys absolutely love Mike Macch and practically fight over him to be their training partner.  Would he ever fit into something like this?

He was in the corner for a couple of HS kids at U20s recently. Seems to be a well-liked guy.

Just now, Antitroll2828 said:

Weirdness ? Coleman Scott is probably burning every piece of Oklahoma state clothing that he owns right now . He sold his house left a pretty good head coaching position and moved his family across the country with promises he was the next head coach , now one way or the other he’s out of a job , how many years will he have to wait til another job even on the UNC level presents itself? 

Exactly.

• Bob 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

moved his family across the country with promises he was the next head coach

I don't believe this to be true, yet admittedly am guessing.  I think it's more likely is that John said he'd vouch for him and being there a year would give him a big leg up.  It's hard to believe the AD promised him a head coaching job a year from now and it wasn't Smith's to promise. 

I'm not even sure legally the AD could promise Scott a future HC job with all the red tape involved in public university hiring...

I too feel for Scott, but it seems more likely he took a calculated gamble and lost. 

Edited by Gantry
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I know a lot of guys absolutely love Mike Macch and practically fight over him to be their training partner.  Would he ever fit into something like this?

And a few PSU people I know say he is the nicest man in the world. My sense is he is universally liked and respected.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge