Gable Steveson

9 hours ago, BAC said:

This whole thing has been a train wreck. Bad decisions at every turn.

— Gable’s original decision to go WWE was insane; on a part with LeBron dropping out of the NBA after one year be a mime. I’m all for pursuing dreams, but at least make it a real dream, not what you wanted when you were 7. Gable had a chance to be a US legend, a household name at the level of the “other” Gable, synonymous with US wrestling. And alt that level of fame, the dollars follow.

— Why did Gable do WTTs last year, then drop out? What possible good was going to come of that? All it does is sap the confidence of the back-up who goes. Was that Gable’s call or the WWE’s? Garbage call either way. Either don’t do it, or do it and come away with the mutual benefit of a world title, and the WWE can introduce him as the “reigning world freestyle champ.”

— This times 1000 for the 2024 Olympics. Both Gable and WWE knew months ago, at least since his disastrous debut against Corbin in 7/23, that Gable wasn’t exactly knocking it out of the park. Gable got booed, his gold medal faded from memory. The logical play would be for WWE to insist, or Gable to request, or both, for Gable to go out for OTTs in April. He would be the favorite for another gold, and if he won it… holy cow, he could hit the ground RUNNING at the WWE!  Within a couple weeks he could be all over the every WWR event, parlaying the media hype into new fans and new dollars for the WWE, enriching both. 

— Instead of the above happening, either Gable asking to go or the WWE pushing him, they did NOTHING, Gable never saw any more WWE events, never trained freestyle or signed up for OTTs, and the WWE cuts him a 2 weeks after. Essentially the WWE destroyed their investment and then salted the earth, making sure Gable’s future prospects are toast too.

— The next thing to be bungled? Gable’s last year of NCAA eligibility of course. I’m sure the talk of 1.25M for Carter is BS, but you have to think Gable could make top NIL dollar for a return before his eligibility expires. But fear not, the genius handlers that Gable looks to will screw that one up too, and I would put the odds of him ever being on another world freestyle team at sub 5%.

It was all going according to plan. The unexpected curveball was that Gable sucked at connecting with the fake wrestling fans. Sad because he seemed to connect very well with real wrestling fans.  Humbled by Cassar only to become the best in the world.  Hard not to respect. But WWE fans are a different breed. Many have no idea what real wreaking looks like and could care less that you beat Petriashvili. Gave it a shot, time to shift gears and make another run at the real deal. 

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ionel said:

I said where can you get a 5% real rate of return which means with 3.5% inflation a 8.5% nominal return and if it isn't risk free (or near) then there are no guarantees you can get 8.5%. 

Yeah, you're just full of shit and I don't understand what you're driving at here. 

1-You did NOT say "risk free," until after;

image.thumb.png.66b986bd43069e2c38d117e7aa98a9dd.png

"Real rate of 5%? Where do you get that today?"

Where does that say, "where do you a real rate of 5% with zero risk guaranteed?" And I suspected you didn't because it's a stupid question.

2-Inflation has averaged
1990-1999-3.08%
2000-2009-2.54%
2010-2019-1.78

Over the last 120 YEARS with massive inflation in the past and without properly addressing it, the average(primarily driven by two decades) is 3%.

I don't get why you want to play these stupid games. I've given you the average rate of return and for ANY 35 year period, it's AT LEAST 10%. That's a VERY conservative average. But then it had to be about "no risk." THERE IS NO SUCH THING.

So I guess don't invest, don't do the shit that normal people do so they can grow their money. Buy gold, bury it under your house and...that's literally the ONLY way you can invest financially with "zero risk." There is no other way.

Using common sense, you can invest in the market and if you're in for 35 years, you're going to grow at ~10%.

I've covered this and you insist on either playing dumb or...I can't tell, maybe it's being just willfully obtuse. 

But if YOU can't grow your money at 5% a year, accounting for inflation, I'd absolutely hire a financial advisor and fire whoever you have right now(and it sounds like you'd be firing yourself). 

image.png

Edited by scourge165

I think it's easy to lose sight of the fact that Gable is only in his early 20's.  We've all made some pretty bad mistakes in that age range, dedicated ourselves to things that have not panned out, etc.  To think that he colossally f'd up though is laughable.  He is still more than capable of making more world and Olympic runs.  If he chooses to return to freestyle full time, I do not see why he would not be the colossal favorite to be our rep.  

I used to hate on Gable as I think most did during his freshman/early sophomore season.  Now I am just hoping that this stint is looked back on as a footnote in a long & promising career.

I think its possible we have not even seen the best version of gable. Not being on the mat all the time it will probably be refreshing for him to get back he also likely feels like he needs to prove something which I doubt was there as much post olympics. Physically he is also a grown ass man now last time I saw him he was looking HUGE.

On 5/4/2024 at 3:49 PM, Wrestleknownothing said:

I look forward to hearing how he got here. By here I mean someone who doesn't matter.

From the first big NIL/employment contract, to a slow slide toward irrelevance, to a series of flirtations with returning to the place he has relevance, to a weird backtrack, to a fast slide to finally arrive at irrelevance just in time to miss out by mere weeks a chance to matter again.

I would love to here his version of conversations had with WWE bosses and the decisions made. Knowing what both parties know now I have to believe neither would have chosen that contract followed by a waste of so many prime years.

No third NCAA title, no World title, no second Olympic title, no WWE success either. At what price?

Part of the issue might be that he was a "Vince MacMahon guy."  From what some "smart marks" have told me, Vince was giving him a ton of chances and really wanted him to succeed.

Vince has had a tumultuous year at WWE, and now is history.  Gable's other Rabbi, Lesnar is also persona non grata in WWE.

Not sure who made the call, but Steveson's (presumably) two biggest backers are gone, and that may have made it easier to cut ties.

25 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

Part of the issue might be that he was a "Vince MacMahon guy."  From what some "smart marks" have told me, Vince was giving him a ton of chances and really wanted him to succeed.

Vince has had a tumultuous year at WWE, and now is history.  Gable's other Rabbi, Lesnar is also persona non grata in WWE.

Not sure who made the call, but Steveson's (presumably) two biggest backers are gone, and that may have made it easier to cut ties.

good point

• Bob 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

4 hours ago, scourge165 said:

Yeah, you're just full of shit and I don't understand what you're driving at here.

Good for you to keep trying, but he obviously doesn't know or want to know what he is talking about.  It's a lost cause. 

This all started because the conversation was about Gable investing his money.  He signed his WWE deal in Sept. 2021.  The S&P on 10/1/21 was $4,357 and it currently $5,516 or up about 18%. 

You have to try and be ignorant to claim Gable couldn't be well on his way to getting 7-8% return to retire. Most likely he just wanted to point out that inflation is currently higher than it has been historically (maybe politically motivated) and now is double/tripling down on poor investing statements instead of admitting the original claim Dark Energy was very responsible and probably conservative.

• Brain 1

6 hours ago, BloodRound said:

I think it's easy to lose sight of the fact that Gable is only in his early 20's.  We've all made some pretty bad mistakes in that age range

No it isn't. Folks who do this are either perfect or assholes...:classic_cool:

• Bob 1

17 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

It was all going according to plan. The unexpected curveball was that Gable sucked at connecting with the fake wrestling fans. Sad because he seemed to connect very well with real wrestling fans.  Humbled by Cassar only to become the best in the world.  Hard not to respect. But WWE fans are a different breed. Many have no idea what real wreaking looks like and could care less that you beat Petriashvili. Gave it a shot, time to shift gears and make another run at the real deal. 

At what point was it going according to plan? I agree that WWE fans have zero interest in actual wrestling, but that has been obvious forever. 

6 hours ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

If he was a Vince McMahon guy, why was he disappeared while Vince was still running things? I think the allegations against McMahon contributed to Steveson having zero chance at all (given the accusations that have followed Gable), but I don't think at any point was Gable ever in a strong position for success at WWE.  

• Bob 1

22 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

I was curious as to why they hated Gable, and it came down to two things: 

1. He apparently sucked behind the mic and

2. His previous SA allegations

Almost every fake wrestling post I've seen is bringing up #2 and are glad he's gone because of it. They believe WWE is distancing themselves from anyone with a history like that due to the allegations against Vince, not to mention everyone believes he got off due to a legal loophole. This was news to me...

I was curious as to why they hated Gable, and it came down to two things: 
1. He apparently sucked behind the mic and
2. His previous SA allegations
Almost every fake wrestling post I've seen is bringing up #2 and are glad he's gone because of it. They believe WWE is distancing themselves from anyone with a history like that due to the allegations against Vince, not to mention everyone believes he got off due to a legal loophole. This was news to me...

As moronic as we as a fanbase can be with some of the things we say on social, nothing holds a candle to wwe stans. It’s just the same thing that’s been repeated over and over. I’ve seen legit people try to explain the laws etc in Mn to them and it ends up how you might expect. They’re the same type of people who don’t believe anything after the first google search result. The smart fans in that demographic don’t engage.
  • Bob 1
  • Fire 1

Insert catchy tagline here. 

15 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

At what point was it going according to plan? I agree that WWE fans have zero interest in actual wrestling, but that has been obvious forever. 

If he was a Vince McMahon guy, why was he disappeared while Vince was still running things? I think the allegations against McMahon contributed to Steveson having zero chance at all (given the accusations that have followed Gable), but I don't think at any point was Gable ever in a strong position for success at WWE.  

The theory was that Vince was giving him more time to develop than others might have.  Vince allegedly really wanted to see things work out so badly, that he gave him more time than he might have given others.  This would make sense as to why they kept him around so long.

If Shawn Michaels and HHH couldn't make it work in NXT it was never going to work.  I bet he struggled on the mic and hes not as intimidating looking as lesnar to give him years to get better at it.  It sucks because I watch WWE and wanted to see what he could do.  Oh well, on to the next thing. I'm guessing he will try MMA if hes wanting to remain in competition. 

9 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Gable is out of eligibility

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure?

2019- Freshman
2020- Sophomore
2021- Free year
2022- Junior
2023- Redshirt
2024- Olympic Redshirt
2025- ???

• Bob 1

Are you sure?
2019- Freshman
2020- Sophomore
2021- Free year
2022- Junior
2023- Redshirt
2024- Olympic Redshirt
2025- ???

I don’t have anything from like, an admin, but a pretty close source.

2 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Are you sure?

2019- Freshman
2020- Sophomore
2021- Free year
2022- Junior
2023- Redshirt
2024- Olympic Redshirt
2025- ???

I do not think he could retroactively Olympic redshirt unless he had put in for it.

Just now, poorwrestler said:

I don’t have anything from like, an admin, but a pretty close source.

I'm not privy to the process to declare an Olympic redshirt with deadlines and such, but if he was teasing a comeback this past season he could come back this coming year.

I'm not privy to the process to declare an Olympic redshirt with deadlines and such, but if he was teasing a comeback this past season he could come back this coming year.

I believe you have to declare an Olympic redshirt sometime prior to the actual trials, and that was never done.

1 minute ago, poorwrestler said:

I believe you have to declare an Olympic redshirt sometime prior to the actual trials, and that was never done.

the office bankrupcy GIF

Maybe he did tho... 

1 minute ago, poorwrestler said:

What about the WWEredshirt?