Thomas Gilman

7 minutes ago, Lunaticfringe said:

It’s funny how much guys mature when they get the hell away from the Brands. Excellent examples are Brent Metcalf and Thomas Gilman.

Brent Metcalf has so much perspective, it's so refreshing to hear from an elite wrestling coach "yeah, I was really disappointed, but it's wrestling it's not the end of the world, you get over it and you move on."

SO refreshing.  I really enjoy that thinking around the sport is evolving to actually treat it like a sport and not an all-consuming "love it and hate it at the same time" prison.

• Bob 1
  • Fire 1

I'm flat out trolling with no regard for feelings when I ask in earnest: is Gilman crying because his mom snapped her glasses in half or did she do that when he lost the wrestle off before the last Olympic quad?

• Poopy 1

i am an idiot on the internet

Was it just me or did his interview prior to wrestling Spencer seem like he was resigned to the fact that he wasn't going to win?  He said something along the lines of, "Regardless of the outcome, I'm just glad fans will get to see it."  Just seemed like a guy that knew in his gut that he had his work cut out for him and was a longshot to win 2/3 from Lee.

Unfortunately he lost me again with his entrance, which consisted of sprinting past dozens of people and ignoring the instructions every other competitor in the tournament was able to respect.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

39 minutes ago, Wildcat92 said:

Was it just me or did his interview prior to wrestling Spencer seem like he was resigned to the fact that he wasn't going to win?  He said something along the lines of, "Regardless of the outcome, I'm just glad fans will get to see it."  Just seemed like a guy that knew in his gut that he had his work cut out for him and was a longshot to win 2/3 from Lee.

He did have his reasons for leaving Iowa City...

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, Wildcat92 said:

I am not sure, but I think you know when you are outclassed. When you feel the opponent's strength and motor.

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, JeanGuy said:

I am not sure, but I think you know when you are outclassed. When you feel the opponent's strength and motor.

He knew from when he was back at Iowa, unfortunately.

He said as much himself.

• Bob 2

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 4/20/2024 at 12:33 PM, headshuck said:

I never dreamed he’d become one of my favorite wrestlers after his debut at Iowa. I wonder if there’s an amazing woman playing a role.

Well, he's married to Mike Evans's sister...

I don't know that he was resigned to his fate, if you will, as much as the Penn State influence of wrestling not being your identity plays a role. He talks about gee-oh-dee a lot now, which is part of the PSU/NLWC play book. My guess is that he gave it his all, but sees the bigger picture of life. 

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, Tom formerly Tofurky said:

I don't know that he was resigned to his fate, if you will, as much as the Penn State influence of wrestling not being your identity plays a role. He talks about gee-oh-dee a lot now, which is part of the PSU/NLWC play book. My guess is that he gave it his all, but sees the bigger picture of life. 

Could be that he's found some inner peace, but it could also be that he was just distracted with other priorities. Gilman said in an interview (before the finals) that he wasn't even sure if he was going to compete in this cycle's Olympic trials, and mentioned struggling with some domestic adversity over the past several months. Not making excuses for him, but sometimes life happens, esp at that age. He's also not the type of person to randomly bring up stuff like that, so it must've been pretty serious. Whatever it was, I hope he & his family are okay.

• Bob 2

On 4/20/2024 at 3:33 PM, headshuck said:

I never dreamed he’d become one of my favorite wrestlers after his debut at Iowa. I wonder if there’s an amazing woman playing a role.

I always liked his wrestling style, constant shooting and going full speed, so I was able to ignore the off the mat stuff. Good to hear that he has matured and now seems like a decent person. Hopefully he has a future in the sport as a coach and mentor

On 4/22/2024 at 1:26 PM, Hammerlock3 said:

Unfortunately he lost me again with his entrance, which consisted of sprinting past dozens of people and ignoring the instructions every other competitor in the tournament was able to respect.

At OTT? I mean, he does that at every event. But I don't find fault with him for that. Who were the people he was sprinting past, and why would that matter? 

22 minutes ago, Tony Rotundo said:

At OTT? I mean, he does that at every event. But I don't find fault with him for that. Who were the people he was sprinting past, and why would that matter? 

Hey was running past the other athletes, thier coaches and trainers etc. It was off putting because there was an organized procession of people before every match, they had everyone walk out in an organized fashion about a minute before their match, a little silly, but they were adding a bit of ceremony to add some gravity to the event. Anyway, gilman just ran pass everyone and did his own thing and I thought it was a bit obnoxious.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."