Columbia HC Tanelli resigns

Who is a good fit for Columbia, now? 

Ward - Army, similar recruiting standards, lower budget I would imagine at CU

Kolat - Navy, see above, might be in his perfect spot now

Pearsall - young guy, might be a good fit for Manhattan-area, Ivy League experience, might help Penn save face if he gets his own HC job within the conference

Bedelyon - Rider, might be holding out for RU job down the line

Antonelli - Blair, might be a good opportunity to get back into college coaching

Tirapelle - HC experience in the Ivy's, has coached almost exclusively, at schools with similar recruiting pools/standards

Papadatos - Hofstra, commute changes a bit but could be an interesting challenge

Russell - Cornell, could be a good first gig for a young coach

Borshoff - Binghamton, this is second least likely I think, but who knows. 

28 minutes ago, ThreePointTakedown said:

Who is a good fit for Columbia, now? 

Ward - Army, similar recruiting standards, lower budget I would imagine at CU

Kolat - Navy, see above, might be in his perfect spot now

Pearsall - young guy, might be a good fit for Manhattan-area, Ivy League experience, might help Penn save face if he gets his own HC job within the conference

Bedelyon - Rider, might be holding out for RU job down the line

Antonelli - Blair, might be a good opportunity to get back into college coaching

Tirapelle - HC experience in the Ivy's, has coached almost exclusively, at schools with similar recruiting pools/standards

Papadatos - Hofstra, commute changes a bit but could be an interesting challenge

Russell - Cornell, could be a good first gig for a young coach

Borshoff - Binghamton, this is second least likely I think, but who knows. 

I don't see Ward or Kolat leaving. Columbia seems like a step down from where they're at right now. 

Pearsall, Bedelyon, Antonelli, Tirapelle, Papadatos, I could all see. Pearsall probably most so. But I like that group.

Russell just got promoted to AHC at Cornell. Doubt he'd leave after just accepting that. 

I don't see Borshoff leaving either. 

Another person I could see would be Scott Green - AHC at West Point. 

Probably going to be tough to find someone for the job , the school just canceled in person learning for the rest of the year because of safety issues bc of the non stop protests on campus and you definitely aren’t going to be able to recruit any Jewish wrestlers there 

• Brain 1

3 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Probably going to be tough to find someone for the job , the school just canceled in person learning for the rest of the year because of safety issues bc of the non stop protests on campus and you definitely aren’t going to be able to recruit any Jewish wrestlers there 

Aren't the Finesilvers finally out of college eligibility?

• Haha 2

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

With the limited amount of d1 Hc jobs, someone will want to take it on. 

Eventually the madness on their campus will stop. 

• Bob 1

This won’t be an issue. It’s in the Ivy League and the closest university in the country to Zabar’s. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Haha 1

I would think that being the AHC at V-Tech would be a step up.  I'm not sure, but I doubt the pay at Columbia for a Head Coach would be great.  V-Tech is a program that has some pretty good backing and money and I think Robie probably just went out and brought someone in that he thinks will help the program.  I do not see Robie going anywhere for a while.  Plus the cost of living in Blackburg compared to NYC has to make up for a pretty good chunk of money.  Blackburg is a great College town also.  

I hope Columbia finds a good replacement, but I don't think it will be easy.  

• Bob 1

On 4/24/2024 at 8:23 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

The shine is pretty aggressively coming off of “elite” institutions because it is becoming so apparent what the student experience on these campuses will be.

Ultimately the relationships you build at a school like that are the most valuable thing they offer, and there is a rapidly growing distance between alums, students, “administration”, it’s all getting pulled in rapid directions, but one of the key hallmarks is that students emerge from a school like that with a highly capable and (relatively) WELL BALANCED approach to the world, at least to the degree of being functional within institutions.

It is a story old as time that complacency leads to “creep” of undesirable and unexpected ills.  We are finding out now that this has already been happening for a LONG time.  As with many ailments, once something starts hurting or visibly looking bad, it has been building for a long time.

21 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

The shine is pretty aggressively coming off of “elite” institutions because it is becoming so apparent what the student experience on these campuses will be.

Ultimately the relationships you build at a school like that are the most valuable thing they offer, and there is a rapidly growing distance between alums, students, “administration”, it’s all getting pulled in rapid directions, but one of the key hallmarks is that students emerge from a school like that with a highly capable and (relatively) WELL BALANCED approach to the world, at least to the degree of being functional within institutions.

It is a story old as time that complacency leads to “creep” of undesirable and unexpected ills.  We are finding out now that this has already been happening for a LONG time.  As with many ailments, once something starts hurting or visibly looking bad, it has been building for a long time.

There won't be a drop in applications for the Ivies. You are talking about a couple hundred people at most out of 36,000 students at Columbia. Most students there aren't protesting and are focusing on computer science, economics, or they're premed/prelaw. And with their free time, they're getting drunk. People who get their idea about what these colleges are like from the news want to hear a certain perspective. 

Do you really think there will be any less interest in a college that is one of the top 10-20 in the country, has incredible financial aid, and is located in NYC? All because there were protests that will have been forgotten about in the news cycle by the time application season comes along? By the time college applications start-up, the news will have some other "crisis" to focus on. 

The coaching job at Columbia is just as good as it was a month ago, which isn't really that great of a job. 

Edited by billyhoyle
  • Bob 3

On 4/24/2024 at 8:23 AM, Antitroll2828 said:

'the rest of the year' was 5 days and they didn't cancel in-person learning, they added a remote option.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2024/apr/25/social-media/columbia-not-all-remote-offers-students-hybrid-lea/

59 minutes ago, billyhoyle said:

There won't be a drop in applications for the Ivies. You are talking about a couple hundred people at most out of 36,000 students at Columbia. Most students there aren't protesting and are focusing on computer science, economics, or they're premed/prelaw. And with their free time, they're getting drunk. People who get their idea about what these colleges are like from the news want to hear a certain perspective. 

Do you really think there will be any less interest in a college that is one of the top 10-20 in the country, has incredible financial aid, and is located in NYC? All because there were protests that will have been forgotten about in the news cycle by the time application season comes along? By the time college applications start-up, the news will have some other "crisis" to focus on. 

The coaching job at Columbia is just as good as it was a month ago, which isn't really that great of a job. 

Mmm…well, Columbia has quietly been leaning into the China market, along with data manipulation, for a long time.  There are two things that drive away chinese applicants, race issues and riots.  So…yeah that’s not going to go well.

Columbia has good professional schools, but a major part of that is tied to the ability for the school to maintain good relationships with the firms in Manhattan.  Having this sort if crap happen absolutely raises eyebrows at those companies, and not in a good way.

Add that on top of the fact that…that sort of divisionist activism is completely antithetical to  prospective college wrestlers…yeah not good for the wrestling, but it is similarly antithetical to alumni and recruiters.

This sort of thing is much closer to being quite bad for these schools than the schools themselves believe.  NYU shot its own foot off last year…that’s not going away for a long time.  

Columbia HAS been very good for a very long time, but their are a lot of schools that want that prestige instead, and will manage their institutions accordingly to take that place.  

What is old is new.

In 1968 Columbia had widespread and even more radical student protest where students took over university buildings 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Columbia_University_protests

The protests came to a conclusion in the early morning hours of April 30, 1968, when the NYPD violently quashed the demonstrations, with tear gas, and stormed both Hamilton Hall and the Low Library. ... approximately 132 students, 4 faculty members and 12 police officers were injured, while over 700 protesters were arrested Violence continued into the following day with students armed with sticks battling with officers. Frank Gucciardi, a 34-year-old police officer, was permanently disabled when a student jumped onto him from a second story window, breaking his back.

The Wiki article mentions that there was long term effect on the university.

Columbia suffered quite a bit in the aftermath... Applications, endowments, and grants for the university declined significantly in the following years. "It took at least 20 years to fully recover.

Interestingly they don't mention how they have not had one single NCAA wrestling champion since the protest

55 minutes ago, Jim L said:

What is old is new.

In 1968 Columbia had widespread and even more radical student protest where students took over university buildings 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1968_Columbia_University_protests

The protests came to a conclusion in the early morning hours of April 30, 1968, when the NYPD violently quashed the demonstrations, with tear gas, and stormed both Hamilton Hall and the Low Library. ... approximately 132 students, 4 faculty members and 12 police officers were injured, while over 700 protesters were arrested Violence continued into the following day with students armed with sticks battling with officers. Frank Gucciardi, a 34-year-old police officer, was permanently disabled when a student jumped onto him from a second story window, breaking his back.

The Wiki article mentions that there was long term effect on the university.

Columbia suffered quite a bit in the aftermath... Applications, endowments, and grants for the university declined significantly in the following years. "It took at least 20 years to fully recover.

Interestingly they don't mention how they have not had one single NCAA wrestling champion since the protest

Cornell, 1969 (pretty sure they've had one or two NCAA wrestling champions since that protest):

image.png.691aebd3f02dc32b0277a415d6e5a99a.png

6 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

Mmm…well, Columbia has quietly been leaning into the China market, along with data manipulation, for a long time.  There are two things that drive away chinese applicants, race issues and riots.  So…yeah that’s not going to go well.

Columbia has good professional schools, but a major part of that is tied to the ability for the school to maintain good relationships with the firms in Manhattan.  Having this sort if crap happen absolutely raises eyebrows at those companies, and not in a good way.

Add that on top of the fact that…that sort of divisionist activism is completely antithetical to  prospective college wrestlers…yeah not good for the wrestling, but it is similarly antithetical to alumni and recruiters.

This sort of thing is much closer to being quite bad for these schools than the schools themselves believe.  NYU shot its own foot off last year…that’s not going away for a long time.  

Columbia HAS been very good for a very long time, but their are a lot of schools that want that prestige instead, and will manage their institutions accordingly to take that place.  

I guarantee you that the prestige Columbia has isn't going to transfer to Liberty U. All the top students will still want to go there, even if people who cable news don't understand. They also won't be any worse than they currently are at wrestling because of protests.  And they will find another wrestling coach that's as good as who they previously had, because unfortunately there aren't many D1 coaching jobs. 

6 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

I guarantee you that the prestige Columbia has isn't going to transfer to Liberty U. All the top students will still want to go there, even if people who cable news don't understand. They also won't be any worse than they currently are at wrestling because of protests.  And they will find another wrestling coach that's as good as who they previously had, because unfortunately there aren't many D1 coaching jobs. 

I think one piece you are missing is donations. Don’t you think a lot of these mega donors will continue pulling out?

11 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

I agree with the beginning of your post, but it’s not necessarily a sure thing they get a coach that does as good as job as Tanelli was doing 

8 hours ago, BuckyBadger said:

I think one piece you are missing is donations. Don’t you think a lot of these mega donors will continue pulling out?

Not if they keep naming buildings after donors and giving their kids/grandkids admission into the university for donating. 

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

I agree with the beginning of your post, but it’s not necessarily a sure thing they get a coach that does as good as job as Tanelli was doing 

I think they will be able to-there are so few jobs and tons of talent at the assistant coaching level. 

23 hours ago, billyhoyle said:

Why do with think it’s not a great role? Is the pay low? Are they not given great resources?

Columbia should have great alumni support for wrestling, given that they all probably make 50%-1000% more than the average college grad.