What programs do kids seem to progress and digress in?

H82Lose

I know this topic is kicked around alot with my friends, but I wanted to see what others think. Some of it may be, the kid was overhyped coming in and just really wasn't that good. One I was thinking about the other day was 133 for Iowa. Schriever was a hammer coming out of high school, I watched him several times. What happened to him? Weight cut? Because he looks like a shell of what he was in high school. Ybarra, again, stud in high school, but I haven't seen him but a couple of times. Monday at NC, he really never progressed during his college career. Sometimes, I wonder if kids are just happy to be there? Hey I made it, kind of thing. I am sure there are a bunch more to discuss, but these were off the top of my head. Dom Demas, comes out of nowhere, and then fades off. Fix, is a STUD, but has he got better? That might be a bad example, but threw it out there anyway. Mastrogiovanni 125 Okie State, progress or digress? 

Like most kids that age, college is the first time, for many, that they are free from the shackles of parents oversight/discipline. I would imagine that a certain percentage of high achieving high schoolers, both academically and athletically owe some of their success to the efforts of their parents. Coaches CAN fill that role for a lot of kids, but not all. Lots of life distractions on college campuses and some adapt better than others. Those intangibles can be tough to sniff out during the recruiting process, and coaches place various levels of importance on them. I don’t believe there are any appreciable differences between the top 20 or so programs in their approach to this issue. Some kids will remain focused and get better, a few will lose focus for various reasons and stagnate. DI wrestling is HARD, and hard times don’t build character, they reveal it. 

• Fire 4

44 minutes ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I have seen some interviews with Suriano where he certainly digressed.

????  2022 NCAA Champ, just looked great at the World Cup....thought he would get more than one match.

Edited by Fadzaev2

23 minutes ago, Tigerfan said:

Like most kids that age, college is the first time, for many, that they are free from the shackles of parents oversight/discipline. I would imagine that a certain percentage of high achieving high schoolers, both academically and athletically owe some of their success to the efforts of their parents. Coaches CAN fill that role for a lot of kids, but not all. Lots of life distractions on college campuses and some adapt better than others. Those intangibles can be tough to sniff out during the recruiting process, and coaches place various levels of importance on them. I don’t believe there are any appreciable differences between the top 20 or so programs in their approach to this issue. Some kids will remain focused and get better, a few will lose focus for various reasons and stagnate. DI wrestling is HARD, and hard times don’t build character, they reveal it. 

In high school I was a straight A student. With the freedom to sleep in, skip classes, and drink beer, boy did I regress.

But, I digress...what was the topic?

• Haha 4

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Just now, PortaJohn said:

I thought the consensus on this board is that the only wrestler to ever regress in college is Jacob Cardenas 

He earned a higher preseason NCAAs Folkstyle ranking because of his U23s Freestyoe performance than where he currently sits because of his loss to a much lower ranked Amos so technically he did regress due to his horrible 0-1 record on the season.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

4 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

He earned a higher preseason NCAAs Folkstyle ranking because of his U23s Freestyoe performance than where he currently sits because of his loss to a much lower ranked Amos so technically he did regress due to his horrible 0-1 record on the season.

I'm just teasing.  Having some fun

• Haha 1

I Don't Agree With What I Posted