Transfer Portal

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I previously said in response to someone, that I do not see Alirez going to Oklahoma State as that would not be money well spent. It would not get them to a title in his one year of remaining eligibility. But after listening to Taylor's press conference, I can now see it happening.

Taylor emphasized the need to build the RTC right away. His reasoning is that you need to show recruits and possible transfers that there is a path to success beyond college, if they have those aspirations. Of course, anyone who is an NCAA title contender right off the bat has those aspirations.

Against that backdrop, bringing Alirez in for a year makes perfect sense if it is a glide path to building the RTC. I think we all agree that Alirez will be a real threat at 65kg for years to come, so viewing him as an RTC building block rather than just a college building block means you probably make the NIL down payment on him this year to secure him for the RTC next year, and beyond.

For this same reason I think Iowa should be throwing everything at Alirez. They have a true contender in Spencer in the HWC and now they need to start building out that roster with more capable threats to make the US national team. Alirez would be a huge get for the Hawkeyes/HWC. 

• Bob 2

13 minutes ago, Gus said:

For this same reason I think Iowa should be throwing everything at Alirez. They have a true contender in Spencer in the HWC and now they need to start building out that roster with more capable threats to make the US national team. Alirez would be a huge get for the Hawkeyes/HWC. 

$1.25 million enough?

2 minutes ago, Gus said:

Good point. But can Iowa change their stripes? Gilman once said he left because the HWC was a job program (I know, I know, there are competing theories here).

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Good point. But can Iowa change their stripes? Gilman once said he left because the HWC was a job program (I know, I know, there are competing theories here).

Hopefully they can change their ways and adapt. I am not especially optimistic that will happen though. It would be great to see 3-5 programs really competing for the top spot in college wrestling. 

32 minutes ago, Gus said:

Hopefully they can change their ways and adapt. I am not especially optimistic that will happen though. It would be great to see 3-5 programs really competing for the top spot in college wrestling. 

Tom Brands emphasized the need to have the HWC operations lead, Chad Beatty, in Turkiye when Spencer was competing. I take that as a sign that the Hawks are taking the HWC more seriously now. Would love to have Alirez on board but It would take me some adjustment to see him and Woods on the same team.

There will be a riot If Alirez goes from champion to 4th place in the Iowa room.

8 minutes ago, Mr. PeanutButter said:

Tom Brands emphasized the need to have the HWC operations lead, Chad Beatty, in Turkiye when Spencer was competing. I take that as a sign that the Hawks are taking the HWC more seriously now. Would love to have Alirez on board but It would take me some adjustment to see him and Woods on the same team.

There will be a riot If Alirez goes from champion to 4th place in the Iowa room.

I can see the difficulty in that situation, but I do think Woods and Alirez respect one another.

Is Woods going to continue to compete in wrestling, or is he going to put his Stanford degree to good use in cage fighting?

1 hour ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

I can see the difficulty in that situation, but I do think Woods and Alirez respect one another.

Is Woods going to continue to compete in wrestling, or is he going to put his Stanford degree to good use in cage fighting?

In an interview at the conclusion of NCAAs (I believe it is posted by USA wrestling) he said that we'll be seeing him in wrestling, still. Paraphrasing.

5 minutes ago, Camel Wrestling Fan said:

If the portal closed on May 2nd how did Belton enter the portal May 7th?

The paperwork only needs to be submitted to his school by the 2nd, I believe.

If it takes his school 3 or 4 days (or 5) to process it, then it's not on the athlete.

Also, I think he technically entered last year.  Not sure if that rolls over or not.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

12 minutes ago, Indiana-Hawk-Wrestling-Fan said:

Do we have any updates on the big transfers that aren’t Alirez and Hendrickson?  And what schools they are favoring?

Chris Cannon 

Cam Amine 

Terrell Barraclough

Kyle Parco 

Also curious where Ethan Stiles will land since he was a big recruit outside of HS. 

What I've heard so far

Cannon - Iowa

Amine - Virginia Tech 

Barraclough possibly to ASU (he was accepted there already as well as BYU and PSU for grad school)

Parco: Iowa or back to ASU

16 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Two things can be true:  HWC is a bit of a jobs program, but that's not why Gilman left. 

7 hours ago, BlueWolverine said:

I believe Cannon is going back to Northwestern.

That would be pretty damn cool.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already but I cannot find anything. Is there a second portal window for wrestlers now in the fall that would allow them to compete at a different school second semester?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Sorry if this has been asked and answered already but I cannot find anything. Is there a second portal window for wrestlers now in the fall that would allow them to compete at a different school second semester?

Not that I am aware of.

It appears that for Fall and Spring sports there are two transfer windows. One is 30 days and the other is 15 days. For winter sports there is a single 45 day transfer window.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/DIUG_Windows.pdf

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Not that I am aware of.
It appears that for Fall and Spring sports there are two transfer windows. One is 30 days and the other is 15 days. For winter sports there is a single 45 day transfer window.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/DIUG_Windows.pdf

Okay, for curiosity sake then, since Grad transfers are still tied to the same window, what does that mean for someone like Gable Steveson?