Transfer Portal

18 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Part of me wonders if Caliendo doesn’t go 157 next year with Franek gone. If he’s able, which wouldn’t shock me, that would be best case scenario for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caliendo is very lean, yet massive... similar to Deakin it seems.  He was lighter than every Iowa 157lber at the beginning of the season for Alphas.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

18 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

I can't see Rocky doing a red shirt.  Did you not watch his last matches at nats.  He is either wrestling hurt or lost some drive/HEW.

He was like 2 different wrestlers at nats.

I don't think he does either.  Just throwing out ideas, really.  They might not even be realistic options.

Trying to get the Mizzou gents in the lineup and keep redshirts intact.

44 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Thoughts in bold.

Facundo and Kennedy are the interesting ones.  Do they leave programs that they seem to love?  

i don’t see Talshahar leaving.  Coming off medical redshirt at a premium school with a so-so record and so-so hit list.  I mean what’s his market?  Where will he go and be the starter that would give 💰 and be a better situation?

Taye to Michigan makes sense though.

• Bob 1

As a wrestling fan, Bailey and Little worry me the most.  I don't see how we can get schools to add wrestling if their guys are going to transfer as soon as they become AAs.   BUT, if you are those two and you are going to get $100K+/year to wrestle for a big school, its a personal decision that a lot people will take.

I hope it doesn't happen but won't be shocked if it does.  

• Bob 4

Could be wrong, but wasn’t Bailey in  particular pretty high on the P4P list? I imagine he had offers from bigger schools to begin with, I’m sure there’s a reason he chose Little Rock

• Bob 1

On 3/23/2024 at 2:35 PM, poorwrestler said:

Can you even transfer out of a service academy? Aren’t there certain commitments that come with attending one of those? Or am I imagining that.

The answer to your first question is yes but as has already been mentioned it is complicated and it depends on how long you have been in the academy.   Since Hendrickson has been in for four years I would think he would be eligible to transfer elsewhere but as has also already been mentioned he is done with college wrestling.  He will likely graduate from the Air Force academy and serve in the Air Force.

25 minutes ago, Thumper said:

The answer to your first question is yes but as has already been mentioned it is complicated and it depends on how long you have been in the academy.   Since Hendrickson has been in for four years I would think he would be eligible to transfer elsewhere but as has also already been mentioned he is done with college wrestling.  He will likely graduate from the Air Force academy and serve in the Air Force.

Yeah...I think when you attend an academy there comes a point, I think year two, or three, where the cadet has to choose if they are going to stay at the academy for the full 4 years and receive the free education, and if so, they have to commit to 4 years (I think) after they graduate to stay in the military....or something similar to that.  My buddies daughter went to the naval academy for soccer and she was close to not going all 4 years because of the commitment after she was done with school, but she ended up staying and is now a captain on a ship.  Oh...and If she didn't agree to stay in the navy after school she would have had to pay back the tuition.

• Bob 2

9 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

I think Hamiti would be tremendous at Cornell

Hamiti (or anyone else) would not be able to compete at any Ivy League school as a graduate student, and Ivy League schools are highly, highly unlikely to accept any transfer this far along into their undergraduate academic careers.

• Bob 1

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

34 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

Yeah...I think when you attend an academy there comes a point, I think year two, or three, where the cadet has to choose if they are going to stay at the academy for the full 4 years and receive the free education, and if so, they have to commit to 4 years (I think) after they graduate to stay in the military....or something similar to that.  My buddies daughter went to the naval academy for soccer and she was close to not going all 4 years because of the commitment after she was done with school, but she ended up staying and is now a captain on a ship.  Oh...and If she didn't agree to stay in the navy after school she would have had to pay back the tuition.

Hendrickson is entering the WCAP program - nothing but FS moving forward.

https://myairforcelife.com/air-force-wcap/

• Bob 2

Dan McDonald, Penn '93
danmc167@yahoo.com

15 minutes ago, Voice of the Quakers said:

Hamiti (or anyone else) would not be able to compete at any Ivy League school as a graduate student, and Ivy League schools are highly, highly unlikely to accept any transfer this far along into their undergraduate academic careers.

Hence the "Likelihood of transfer aside"...

10 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Mineo saying he’s hearing Hamiti to Michigan. That would probably be for 174 right? Their constant lineup turnover and turnover acquisition is exhausting lol

Yeah, it gets kinda old, but their whole program has been given the all clear, or at least tacit support, to go ahead and be the mercenaries of the USA wrestling world.  I know it ruffles feathers along the way, but it has helped them accrue a very serious contingent of olympians at their RTC, and having a solid RTC is kinda the backbone of any real college program at this point.  If your college guys don't have the opportunity to get whooped up on by olympians, they won't be towards the top of the NCAA ranks.  

39 minutes ago, poorwrestler said:

Mineo saying he’s hearing Hamiti to Michigan. That would probably be for 174 right? Their constant lineup turnover and turnover acquisition is exhausting lol

Or 165 with Amine to 174.

Mantanona to 157 then?

2 hours ago, nhs67 said:

Caliendo is very lean, yet massive... similar to Deakin it seems.  He was lighter than every Iowa 157lber at the beginning of the season for Alphas.

He is not particularly tall or lengthy. I could see him making 157. He has got to be smaller than Haines. 

2 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Can Mantanona make 157?

I just remember watching him against Caliendo and thinking they were at least a weight class apart.

If Caliendo can go 157 I see no reason as to why he couldn't.

• Bob 1

1 minute ago, VakAttack said:

What a confusing moment for you, with your arch nemesis reporting positive news for your favorite program!

The struggle is real, man. 😢

• Haha 1

In other news, I am hoping that it is a package deal to include Amos as well.  I think Amos at HWT would be a good thing.  I would prefer Ghadiali, but Amos would be solid as well.

• Bob 1

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Could be wrong, but wasn’t Bailey in  particular pretty high on the P4P list? I imagine he had offers from bigger schools to begin with, I’m sure there’s a reason he chose Little Rock

His brother is also at Little Rock, I'm assuming that's why he's there.

6 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

What a confusing moment for you, with your arch nemesis reporting positive news for your favorite program!

Also, it appears he unblocked me.  Not sure when that happened.

I probably have Brain to thank(?) for that.  The ole "That old geezer is harmless" defense.

On 3/23/2024 at 3:45 PM, Gus said:

The hawks are going to be circling Bailey and Little from Little Rock. I hope they both stay and help Erisman build that program. 

They already had as of Saturday via back channel. I hope Bailey and Little stay. Here are some reasons why.
1. I'm sure Little Rock can get some NIL money together. But it won't match Iowa and it is tough to turn down huge money.

2. In Little Rock they will be LEGENDS. They will be known as the two that brought the program to National prominence the first AA's (and maybe 3 more each). Flag bearers for the program. They can be the first National Champions for the school. They can be honored every time they step on campus after graduation. Inducted in the school's hall of fame. They can help build something great or just be another guy in Iowa City.