Transfer Portal

6 minutes ago, wrestlingfanforlife said:

Question for the masses: should Hamiti look to transfer? 

Absolutely, if Reader takes the Central Michigan job I would assume it’s a done deal. Michigan at 174 makes sense. I would actually like to see him go wrestle for his fellow Italian Mike Poeta at 165 for Illinois as well.

Absolutely, if Reader takes the Central Michigan job I would assume it’s a done deal. Michigan at 174 makes sense. I would actually like to see him go wrestle for his fellow Italian Mike Poeta at 165 for Illinois as well.

If he hits the portal, I hope he was good buddies with Trent Hillger and Taylor LaMont and follows them over the border west. Gophs need a 165 bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bob 1

Other than those already announced like McGonagle and the Columbia and Cornell guys, I'm going to predict other portal entrants by weight class and where I think they'll go.

125: Eddie Ventresca from Virginia Tech to Oklahoma

133: Kyle Burwick from Nebraska to North Dakota State

141: Frankie Tal-Shahar from Northwestern to Iowa

149: Zach Redding from Iowa State to Long Island University

157: Clayton Ulrey from Virginia Tech to Rutgers

165: Patrick Kennedy from Iowa to Pittsburgh

174: Alex Facundo from Penn State to Oklahoma State

184: Seth Shumate from Ohio State to Maryland

197: Andy Smith from Virginia Tech to Iowa State

285: Taye Ghadiali from Campbell to Missouri

Edited by flyingcement
  • Bob 1

15 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Other than those already announced like McGonagle and the Columbia and Cornell guys, I'm going to predict other portal entrants by weight class and where I think they'll go.

Ghadiali is listed as a RS-SR, does he have any eligibility left? 

Just now, MizzouFan01 said:

Ghadiali is listed as a RS-SR, does he have any eligibility left? 

he's been in college for five years - all at Campbell.  one was a redshirt and one was a free Covid year.  So he has one year remaining.  leaving now for a top program like Missouri would be similar to what Olejnik did for his final year at Oklahoma State.  

23 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

he's been in college for five years - all at Campbell.  one was a redshirt and one was a free Covid year.  So he has one year remaining.  leaving now for a top program like Missouri would be similar to what Olejnik did for his final year at Oklahoma State.  

He’s welcome to join. I have no clue what 285 looks like for us now that Big Elam will be moving on. 

Honestly Kennedy to SDSU is a prediction that makes a ton of sense. He’s been teammates with both Brady and Bennett Berge at Kasson Mantorville and unless Cael Swenson is moving up, 165 is a hole. SDSU has a great program that hasn’t lost anyone of note since Hahn took over

• Bob 4

2 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

Honestly Kennedy to SDSU is a prediction that makes a ton of sense. He’s been teammates with both Brady and Bennett Berge at Kasson Mantorville and unless Cael Swenson is moving up, 165 is a hole. SDSU has a great program that hasn’t lost anyone of note since Hahn took over

Good call

• Bob 1

On 3/23/2024 at 9:38 PM, wrestlingfanforlife said:

Question for the masses: should Hamiti look to transfer? 

Yes, undoubtedly.  Regression isn't a good look over the course of a career for a very accomplished and capable wrestler like Hamiti.  He's clearly the lifeblood of the room, and he would really benefit from being somewhere with wrestlers and coaches who are on or above his level, especially if Barnett is done.  

Likelihood of successful transfer aside, I think Hamiti would be tremendous at Cornell, as well as Northern Iowa.  Those are two rooms that really show an ability to work with and develop a bunch of different styles, and they have coaches with wrestling minds that just love the sport.  I would be pumped to see Lee Roper in Hamiti's corner.  

• Bob 1

On 3/23/2024 at 6:01 PM, Greenwave said:

So he commits to a school and they train and develop  him for  four years and then he realizes they don’t have his program.

Look at programs and tell we what Iowa has compared to NdSU 

He was talking about graduate programs.  I’m sure a lot of these guys had no intention initially of going to graduate school at the same place they did undergrad if at all.  But the free Covid year gave them the opportunity for an additional year of eligibility and to potentially get paid to wrestle while using it.  

People like to complain about the free Covid year, but encouraging guys to use it while getting a graduate degree is certainly one good thing about it.

Edited by 1032004
  • Bob 2
  • Fire 1

On 3/23/2024 at 4:01 PM, wrestle87 said:

F*ck the hawks if they do that.  Bailey and Little are gods in Little Rick right now.  I hope they give the iowa city crew the "bird" (hehe, yes I love that pun).

If Iowa played the game and went after the assistant coach White, they could get Bailey. 

On 3/23/2024 at 4:27 PM, poorwrestler said:

Wasn’t Olejnik a grad transfer? I look at those guys in a different light. It’s possible that NIU doesn’t even have a grad program in his degree. There’s a lot of factors that could come in to play there.

Plus it was NIU 

On 3/23/2024 at 8:43 PM, Lunaticfringe said:

This is more like a girl who starts an Instagram. She dates the regular guy from her colleges football team. She gets more and more followers and hits a million. All of a sudden pro athletes fill her DMs and before you know it she thinks she isn’t a 8 anymore and dumps said boyfriend for Rob Gronkowski.

A lot of these small school guys won state titles in small classifications or were 3 sport high school athletes. They developed late and blossomed. The dream was never to go to Northern Illinois or NDSU

But it's NIU!!!

On 3/23/2024 at 8:53 PM, poorwrestler said:

If he hits the portal, I hope he was good buddies with Trent Hillger and Taylor LaMont and follows them over the border west. Gophs need a 165 bad.

Is LaMont in Gopher Land??

On 3/23/2024 at 8:47 PM, Lunaticfringe said:

I missed the thread talking about the CMU job opening....Is there a lot of chatter about it? 

9 hours ago, flyingcement said:

I like it.

I doubt Bono signs off on this.

I vaguely remember seeing someone suggest he would be out, too, with the last slew of gents.  Any chance he follows Cannon to Michigan?

Curious your reasoning here.

I think it is more likely we see him or Caliendo go 184lbs than he transfers out.  His method of living is the Iowa way.  He has been thinking Iowa since he was a baby.

Michigander here with ties to Iowa State, Michigan, and Buffalo on top of Penn State.  I think he stays.

My understanding is the last two classes at tOSU are bought in, Shumate included.

Oh?

He is from Michigan.  I think we see him there, if so... unless you have heard otherwise?

Thoughts in bold.

• Bob 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

On 3/23/2024 at 4:13 PM, poorwrestler said:

Wonder if Clayton Whiting from Missouri doesn’t hit the portal. Lost his 184 spot to Hawks and O’Toole is bumping to 174. Whiting was a highly ranked recruit out of Wisconsin AWA guy with some nice wins in his first two years.

This has been on my mind also.  That bump of Whiting for Hawks was a head scratcher and I wondered if he was hurt till I heard Smith's explanation.  Hawks was one riding time point from being an AA, so I guess he was right in his thinking.  There is still a "log jam" with Hawks, Whiting, and Heriman.  If Kegan stays at 165 and one of those guys can drop to 174, that might help.  Sinclair is coming in to the mix and what is R. Elam doing?  Staying at 197 or bumping to hvy, or ?  Just a crystal ball at this point.

• Bob 1

2 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

This has been on my mind also.  That bump of Whiting for Hawks was a head scratcher and I wondered if he was hurt till I heard Smith's explanation.  Hawks was one riding time point from being an AA, so I guess he was right in his thinking.  There is still a "log jam" with Hawks, Whiting, and Heriman.  If Kegan stays at 165 and one of those guys can drop to 174, that might help.  Sinclair is coming in to the mix and what is R. Elam doing?  Staying at 197 or bumping to hvy, or ?  Just a crystal ball at this point.

I think Harman heads out for his senior year and goes 174lbs next year.

I think Whiting/Hawkes will man 184/197 and Elam with either redshirt of go HWT outright.  Elam has Olympic aspirations and his Olympic weight is going to be 97 KG.  With the success that Bastida had at HWT (Elam is 5W-2L against him), I think we will see some larger/longer 197lbers make the ascension up.

Just now, poorwrestler said:

From what I know of Pat Kennedy, he would rather lose his left arm than wrestle for anyone other than Iowa. Even if he’s not starting.

This is exactly what I am saying as well.  Him, Caliendo, and Arnold will may 165-184 next season.  He may be the odd man out up at 184lbs, but he will give 100% of himself to make sure he is the starter.

This is exactly what I am saying as well.  Him, Caliendo, and Arnold will may 165-184 next season.  He may be the odd man out up at 184lbs, but he will give 100% of himself to make sure he is the starter.

Part of me wonders if Caliendo doesn’t go 157 next year with Franek gone. If he’s able, which wouldn’t shock me, that would be best case scenario for them.

• Bob 2

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I think Harman heads out for his senior year and goes 174lbs next year.

I think Whiting/Hawkes will man 184/197 and Elam with either redshirt of go HWT outright.  Elam has Olympic aspirations and his Olympic weight is going to be 97 KG.  With the success that Bastida had at HWT (Elam is 5W-2L against him), I think we will see some larger/longer 197lbers make the ascension up.

I can't see Rocky doing a red shirt.  Did you not watch his last matches at nats.  He is either wrestling hurt or lost some drive/HEW.

He was like 2 different wrestlers at nats.

• Bob 1