Interesting info from the Big Finals

No individual titles with 1 wrestler in the finals. Michigan and Nebraska finish ahead and several teams have more in the finals. Ohio State's team is young and talented. National talent at an all time high with 5-6 year seniors and incoming freshman ready to go. Teams are passing the Hawkeyes, they were once trying to catch up. IMO

Bro, this is getting old. We get it, Iowa is on the decline. Do you get out much and talk to actual fans? Because I don't know a single Iowa fan (and there's a ton in my family) that thinks that things are just peachy right now. This extends to the metaverse as well. The overarching theme I've seen all over the internet is that the status quo isn't getting it done so you're not saying anything new here. What do you think needs to change? 

I think other programs (and their brilliant fans) should concern themselves with how they compare to PSU and not Iowa. Unless of course being better than a program you think sucks is your goal.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Maxwell Smart said:

No individual titles with 1 wrestler in the finals. Michigan and Nebraska finish ahead and several teams have more in the finals. Ohio State's team is young and talented. National talent at an all time high with 5-6 year seniors and incoming freshman ready to go. Teams are passing the Hawkeyes, they were once trying to catch up. IMO

This is also a small tournament phenomena. There is a very good chance Iowa finishes the NCAA tournament in front of Michigan, Nebraska, and Ohio State. Hell, how many times has PSU won NCAAs without winning B1Gs?

• Brain 2
  • Fire 1
  • Clown 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

I actually think if a few things fall into place for Iowa(Glazier, Brands, a transfer or two) and Starrocci and Kerk don’t come back, Iowa will be competitive with Penn State next year. I’d chalk this one up to circumstance and lessons learned. They’d be the clear number two if their gamblers made better decisions.

• Brain 1
  • Jagger 1

I actually think if a few things fall into place for Iowa(Glazier, Brands, a transfer or two) and Starrocci and Kerk don’t come back, Iowa will be competitive with Penn State next year. I’d chalk this one up to circumstance and lessons learned. They’d be the clear number two if their gamblers made better decisions.

Penn State will be loaded next year.

Davis might have a hard time retaining his starting position with Lilledahl coming in.

People forget how good he was because he got injured and fell off a cliff for B1Gs/NCAAs, but Facundo will be very good at 174. If he’s not, Ryder will take the spot. Multiple time world medalist.

SVN will be back, BB might be back, and Kasak will either RS or go 141.

At 184, Barr looked great in RS. At 197, Mirasola will get his 5 dates; the kid beat multiple AAs and NCAA champs in Freestyle as a 17 year old. I expect him in State College early this summer.

That lineup possibly takes 8 of 10 from Iowa, if Kerk comes back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Bob 1

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

This is also a small tournament phenomena. There is a very good chance Iowa finishes the NCAA tournament in front of Michigan, Nebraska, and Ohio State. Hell, how many times has PSU won NCAAs without winning B1Gs?

That is true if iowa would have horses. But they don't.....

27 minutes ago, Le duke said:

Penn State will be loaded next year.

Davis might have a hard time retaining his starting position with Lilledahl coming in.

People forget how good he was because he got injured and fell off a cliff for B1Gs/NCAAs, but Facundo will be very good at 174. If he’s not, Ryder will take the spot. Multiple time world medalist.

SVN will be back, BB might be back, and Kasak will either RS or go 141.

At 184, Barr looked great in RS. At 197, Mirasola will get his 5 dates; the kid beat multiple AAs and NCAA champs in Freestyle as a 17 year old. I expect him in State College early this summer.

That lineup possibly takes 8 of 10 from Iowa, if Kerk comes back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely, that’s gonna be every year for a while. If Bartlett, Starroci, and Kerk all come back, that team could set the scoring record. No one competes with that. If none of them do…could open the door a bit. A lot would still have to go right for Iowa, a lot wrong for Penn State, and yeah people are saying that every offseason. But there’s a path that at least allows them to compete(within 10 in a dual, 25 at NCAA’s) that I don’t think’s incredibly unreasonable.

I wonder what might unfold where Penn State will pursue any transfers this Spring, maybe 285 if Kerk leaves?

I think what PSU does at 133 will be very telling. Nagao was supposed to be an incoming stud and just hasn't been able to put it together. I still feel like it wouldn't be a shock to see him finish as high as 3rd but I could also see him struggle to make the podium.

If he doesn't get it done in KC does Davis bump so LL can go next year? 

• Fire 1

2 hours ago, MLB9 said:

Not at all , Ohio state is the only squad with a chance going forward especially if kerk leaves bc Feldman might dominate the weight for the next 3 years 

1 hour ago, buckshot said:

Nagao was supposed to be an incoming stud and just hasn't been able to put it together.

Nagao came back for third, and looked like he was really feeling good.  His offense is really a limiting factor, he really only has one shot, but if he gets scrappy, he can make good things happen.  

He did this last year too.  He’s probably got some mckee blood to him, doesn’t really bring the hear until the matches really matter.

• Bob 1

Since everything here is about Iowa/Penn State I'll add one question: how is Michigan doing at developing talent? I ask because they appear to have nailed being the destination of choice for an All American to xfer in and load up the lineup. Kudos to them for having that reputation there. Is it something about their RTC/Olympic prep or is it just good vibes and trust in Bormet getting them to dominate the portal? That said, what does it say about Michigan that good-not great guys like DeAugustino can come in and swipe a roster spot when you got guys like Beard having to leave Penn State cuz Max Dean is gonna come take his spot at 197. Penn State is clearly levels ahead. I want to know about the battle between Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, and Oklahoma State at developing and retaining talent. Why is Davison coming to Michigan over Iowa? Why is Cannon coming for a crowded Ragusin spot over battling Teske at Iowa? Maybe it was a team decision to transfer into Michigan as a group to a better academic university.

• Bob 1

15 minutes ago, jmoney said:

Since everything here is about Iowa/Penn State I'll add one question: how is Michigan doing at developing talent? I ask because they appear to have nailed being the destination of choice for an All American to xfer in and load up the lineup. Kudos to them for having that reputation there. Is it something about their RTC/Olympic prep or is it just good vibes and trust in Bormet getting them to dominate the portal? That said, what does it say about Michigan that good-not great guys like DeAugustino can come in and swipe a roster spot when you got guys like Beard having to leave Penn State cuz Max Dean is gonna come take his spot at 197. Penn State is clearly levels ahead. I want to know about the battle between Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, and Oklahoma State at developing and retaining talent. Why is Davison coming to Michigan over Iowa? Why is Cannon coming for a crowded Ragusin spot over battling Teske at Iowa? Maybe it was a team decision to transfer into Michigan as a group to a better academic university.

Not sure about the other two, but Griffith and Davison were perfect fits for holes at Michigan. Griffith is a big upgrade over Maylor. And with Parris graduating (and Cassioppi not yet suspended) UM was the perfect fit for Davison.

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

21 minutes ago, jmoney said:

Since everything here is about Iowa/Penn State I'll add one question: how is Michigan doing at developing talent? 

I don’t watch much wrestling, but I caught a bit of the 157 lb bracket at Big 10s. Looked like Michigan knows how to stay in their stance in the standing-up (“neutral” I think it’s called?) position, but they haven’t quite figured out what a shot is. 

Developing talent aside, they had to use an emaciated homeless guy to fill their roster at 125. I’m not sure I can support that kind of exploitation. 

• Jagger 1

7 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Not sure about the other two, but Griffith and Davison were perfect fits for holes at Michigan. Griffith is a big upgrade over Maylor. And with Parris graduating (and Cassioppi not yet suspended) UM was the perfect fit for Davison.

Thanks, I had forgotten about Cass. That makes more sense now with Ayala and Cass holding down spots.

Was just pointing out the fact that out of 9 wrestlers, 5 went undefeated and 4 had 1 loss. Unfortunately, a previous post was included. Not saying the Brands brothers should be replaced, it goes back to the adulation of the writers and posters on this web site and forum who put them on a pedestal. They haven't developed the amazing talent that's been recruited or transferred in, yet you'd think they produce individual champions and championships like Dan Gable. They get way more credit than they deserve based on the results. They're driving an exceptionally fine race car and they can't seem to get it all working to place first. Just an opinion.

9 hours ago, buckshot said:

I think what PSU does at 133 will be very telling. Nagao was supposed to be an incoming stud and just hasn't been able to put it together. I still feel like it wouldn't be a shock to see him finish as high as 3rd but I could also see him struggle to make the podium.

If he doesn't get it done in KC does Davis bump so LL can go next year? 

Nagao was not a projected "stud." His run the Big Ten Tournament and national tournament was not really on most people's radar.  Most of us thought he would benefit from the PSU wrestling room but also knew that he wouldn't catch guys off guard this year because they had wrestled him and seen his performances last year.  I know I was just hoping he would be a AA contender and get some bonus points when he catches under prepared bottom wrestlers.