Who got "recruited over"?

Jimmy Cinnabon

Since I'm a Penn State fan I only know PSU examples.

To me, recruited over means there is a wrestler already on the roster who is either the starter or expected to be the starter when the coach brings in a new wrestler via recruiting or transfer who supplants the first wrestler.  This only really applies if the first wrestler is a top level recruit.

Examples:

1. David Taylor over Bubba Jenkins

2. Greg Kervliet over Seth Nevills

3. Max Dean over Michael Beard

4. Michael Beard over Gavin Hoffman

Not an example: Anthony Cassar over Nick Nevills, since Cassar was always on the Penn State roster but just couldn't crack the starting lineup.

What are some examples from other teams?

Edited by Jimmy Cinnabon

58 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Michael Beard over Gavin Hoffman

How did Beard replace Hoffman when Hoffman never wrestled for PSU?

How was David Taylor recruited over Bubba Jenkins, when David was recruited to ISU then followed his coach?

How were either Kerkvliet recruited as replacements when they transferred?

Is this where the puff pastry references come in?

How about

Figueroa over Courtney

Edited by 98lberEating2Lunches

Best example that I can think of was a DIII case at Warburg College. 

Wil Kelly was the returning 141 pound national champion and Dustin Hinschberger beat him out in the room for the slot that year. 

Incidentally,  Kelly didn't move up or down and simply chose to ride the pines. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

4 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

How was David Taylor recruited over Bubba Jenkins, when David was recruited to ISU then followed his coach?

How about

Figueroa over Courtney

I think it’s fair to say Seth Nevills was recruited over for Kerk.

Taylor probably still qualifies too regardless of the motivations.

Don’t think Beard/Hoffman qualifies.

The transfer portal has certainly increased the frequency of this.

Lamont/Burwick of course probably the most recent example.

Maybe before the transfer portal but I think Suriano to Rutgers basically resulted in both Alex Mackall and Brandon Paetzell transferring out.  Then can probably say Suriano over Medley at Michigan too.

Maybe Real Woods over Wyatt Henson (although now Henson wrestling 133)

Tate Orndorff over Gas Tank Gary

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Maybe before the transfer portal but I think Suriano to Rutgers basically resulted in both Alex Mackall and Brandon Paetzell transferring out.  Then can probably say Suriano over Medley at Michigan too.

That wasn't why Paetzell left. Timing was coincidental but he had decided to leave as early as first semester as I recall him telling me.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

How about

Figueroa over Courtney

Hoffman decommitted and switched to Ohio State immediately after Beard committed.  This was a direct result.

Jenkins left because of Taylor, he actually specifically mentioned he was kicked out of his "home" because of Taylor.

7 minutes ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Hoffman decommitted and switched to Ohio State immediately after Beard committed.  This was a direct result.

Jenkins left because of Taylor, he actually specifically mentioned he was kicked out of his "home" because of Taylor.

Neither means they were recruited over.  There is more than one weight the last time I checked.  Hoffman went 184 the first year at tOSU, if I'm not mistaken.  Beard had been committed to Northwestern.  Bubba and Taylor could've managed to man two different weights.  Same could've been the case for Hoffman and Beard.

You've a odd definition of "recruit" and a some ability to foresee possible future weights between pairs with certainly that I clearly lack.

I doubt you're implying tampering has gone on, so I don't see how Dean or Kerkvliet could fit in, since they were enrolled elsewhere and transferred.

The Lamont/Burwick situation is not so black and white.  A returning AA is wants to transfer.  What B1G coach is going to say “no” to that when the incumbent starter is not an AA? Iron sharpens iron, especially in the B1G.

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

9 hours ago, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

Neither means they were recruited over.  There is more than one weight the last time I checked.  Hoffman went 184 the first year at tOSU, if I'm not mistaken.  Beard had been committed to Northwestern.  Bubba and Taylor could've managed to man two different weights.  Same could've been the case for Hoffman and Beard.

You've a odd definition of "recruit" and a some ability to foresee possible future weights between pairs with certainly that I clearly lack.

I doubt you're implying tampering has gone on, so I don't see how Dean or Kerkvliet could fit in, since they were enrolled elsewhere and transferred.

Nevills was absolutely recruited over for Kerk.  Although technically it seems like his fellow world team members were the ones that did the actual recruiting. 

Yes, some guys like Dean may not have actually been “recruited” if they chose to go there on their own, but they still replaced other guys.

Not that there’s really anything wrong with that, especially at Penn State everyone should be expecting to have to compete for the starting spot.

6 hours ago, jchapman said:

The Lamont/Burwick situation is not so black and white.  A returning AA is wants to transfer.  What B1G coach is going to say “no” to that when the incumbent starter is not an AA? Iron sharpens iron, especially in the B1G.

I don't see it working out for Wiscy as much as they had hoped. I am still shocked that OSU took Orndorf. The nickname for UVU is no longer Injury U as it is changing to Transfer U lol 

• Fire 1

On 12/9/2022 at 2:18 PM, Ban Basketball said:

Best example that I can think of was a DIII case at Warburg College. 

Wil Kelly was the returning 141 pound national champion and Dustin Hinschberger beat him out in the room for the slot that year. 

Incidentally,  Kelly didn't move up or down and simply chose to ride the pines. 

what in the everloving ef are you talking about? 

1) it doesn't even make sense

2) THAT'S the best example you can think of?

• Haha 1

TBD

On 12/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

Since I'm a Penn State fan I only know PSU examples.

To me, recruited over means there is a wrestler already on the roster who is either the starter or expected to be the starter when the coach brings in a new wrestler via recruiting or transfer who supplants the first wrestler.  This only really applies if the first wrestler is a top level recruit.

Examples:

1. David Taylor over Bubba Jenkins

2. Greg Kervliet over Seth Nevills

3. Max Dean over Michael Beard

4. Michael Beard over Gavin Hoffman

Not an example: Anthony Cassar over Nick Nevills, since Cassar was always on the Penn State roster but just couldn't crack the starting lineup.

What are some examples from other teams?

1. Bubba wasn't 'recruited over'. he literally could have just wrestled his final year but didn't want to. 

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. No. Hoffman was never even committed to PSU.

TBD

23 hours ago, jchapman said:

lol. stop. 

• Haha 1

TBD

On 12/9/2022 at 12:12 PM, 98lberEating2Lunches said:

How about

Figueroa over Courtney

That's funny!!!  Figueroa committed to ASU very early on.... Courtney was supposed to finish last year in 2022 but got a COVID year..... It was actually planned to lineup perfectly. 

• Fire 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

12 hours ago, Husker_Du said:

what in the everloving ef are you talking about? 

1) it doesn't even make sense

2) THAT'S the best example you can think of?

Well,  maybe I didn't understand what the OP was asking. 

If so,  I'm ok with my egregious error, but please forgive me Lord and forum contributors. 

I'd just ask to not take things so seriously. 

Owner of over two decades of the most dangerous words on the internet!  In fact, during the short life of this forum, me's culture has been cancelled three times on this very site!

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

Someone: what's your favorite all time movie?

Ban Basketball: first thing that comes to mind is the ACDC concert i saw in Cedar Falls in '86

A simple error (maybe,  I'm not sure) gets you into such a tizzy that you actually reply twice to it?

As a yoga practickoner, my best advice is to breathe,  my boy. 

Breathe...

21 minutes ago, Ban Basketball said:

A simple error (maybe,  I'm not sure) gets you into such a tizzy that you actually reply twice to it?

As a yoga practickoner, my best advice is to breathe,  my boy. 

Breathe...

What's a "practickoner"?  Is that a TicTok thing? 

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐