Starocci

9 minutes ago, ugarles said:

Does Starocci get a bye with the 1 seed (in a 14 team tournament) or are the byes randomly assigned? Lucky dog if you're a 14-seed getting a default and finding yourself a win away on top or bottom from one of 8 bids.

Yes, #1 and #2 get the byes

• Brain 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 hour ago, creek chub said:

I hope he’s 100% healthy and Lewis gets another crack at him

The way Lewis wrestled him at the All Star match, he needs Starocci to be about %15 healthy to have a chance. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ugarles said:

Does Starocci get a bye with the 1 seed (in a 14 team tournament) or are the byes randomly assigned? Lucky dog if you're a 14-seed getting a default and finding yourself a win away on top or bottom from one of 8 bids.

One more thing I failed to mention. The #1 gets the #8/#9 winner in round 2, so whoever wins there gets a huge benefit if #1 injury defaults. And then the loser of #7/#10 (I believe) gets the #1 on the cosol side. 

So I think it is 7-10 that would benefit from a Starocci double default.

• Brain 1

1 hour ago, creek chub said:

I hope he’s 100% healthy and Lewis gets another crack at him

Since I want Lewis to win I agree with eveything there except I'd substitute "80 or less" for "100."

1 hour ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

One more thing I failed to mention. The #1 gets the #8/#9 winner in round 2, so whoever wins there gets a huge benefit if #1 injury defaults. And then the loser of #7/#10 (I believe) gets the #1 on the cosol side. 

So I think it is 7-10 that would benefit from a Starocci double default.

Wait a minute ... didn't you say no medical defaults but now we've got double defaults.  Thought we now only have MF & ID.  Speaking of injury defaults does he actually have to call injury time thus allowing his opponent to choose bottom?  Does the trainer need to check him out after calling i time or we gonna just trust Cael on this? 

• Fire 1

13 minutes ago, ionel said:

Wait a minute ... didn't you say no medical defaults but now we've got double defaults.  Thought we now only have MF & ID.  Speaking of injury defaults does he actually have to call injury time thus allowing his opponent to choose bottom?  Does the trainer need to check him out after calling i time or we gonna just trust Cael on this? 

In Cael We Trust. Always.

Have you learned nothing lo these past 14 years?

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, SocraTease said:

The way Lewis wrestled him at the All Star match, he needs Starocci to be about %15 healthy to have a chance. 

That’s one data point, which was early in the season but a solid win nonetheless. The other data point was an OT win won by mere seconds of RT. 

1 hour ago, ionel said:

a double default is two :01 injury defaults; one in the main bracket and the consolation. no forfeits. i don't think this should be allowed but it's not my call and my recollection that it would be disallowed has been shot down.

Just now, ugarles said:

a double default is two :01 injury defaults; one in the main bracket and the consolation. no forfeits. i don't think this should be allowed but it's not my call and my recollection that it would be disallowed has been shot down.

I'm pretty sure its not in the rule book, Wkn is a sticker for rules & details.  Let's hope Wkn convinces Carl not to try it.  

6 hours ago, fatlaz said:

All the wrestlers at the Big 10 tournament are going to double default so they don't take a chance in getting injured for NCAA.  It's the new strategy.

Ha!

On 3/7/2024 at 6:56 PM, ionel said:

I'm pretty sure its not in the rule book, Wkn is a sticker for rules & details.  Let's hope Wkn convinces Carl not to try it.  

Actually doesn’t the rule now say there needs to be “actual wrestling” before injury defaulting?   I don’t see that being enforced however, although I saw that a few injury defaults were 2 seconds instead of 1.

17 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Actually doesn’t the rule now say there needs to be “actual wrestling” before injury defaulting?   I don’t see that being enforced however, although I saw that a few injury defaults were 2 seconds instead of 1.

I was on the NCAA zoom last week and this came up. The wording is you must participate. Technically defaults would suffice but what was brought up was that that doesn't mean the committee has to select you. They might well deem that you were showing that you weren't healthy enough to wrestle.

• Ionel 1

16 minutes ago, headshuck said:

Are you saying the committee may have already signaled that Starocci will not gain a berth?

I’m sure Tom Brands was working on his power point presentation last night about why Starocci shouldn’t get an at large

• Brain 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, gimpeltf said:

I was on the NCAA zoom last week and this came up. The wording is you must participate. Technically defaults would suffice but what was brought up was that that doesn't mean the committee has to select you. They might well deem that you were showing that you weren't healthy enough to wrestle.

Thanks.  Courtesy of an old thread, here was the official wording

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/championships/sports/wrestling/d1/men/Apr2022D1MWR_AnnualReport.pdf

2 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

I wanted to give you a "thanks" above but we don't have em anymore so was thinking "like" ... not there.  Thus I gave you a banana ... enjoy.  🙂

• Potato 1