Bono NEEDS to go

I am so sick of this guy. He isn't a coach. He is a high energy hype man. Nobody develops when they get to Wisconsin. He also sucks at recruiting. He gets an elite recruit every couple years, and they either are a immediate stud or they don't develop beyond what they were as freshman and they never reach their full potential.

Fire Bono. Hire Askren.

2 hours ago, Disappointed_Badger_Fan said:

I am so sick of this guy. He isn't a coach. He is a high energy hype man. Nobody develops when they get to Wisconsin. He also sucks at recruiting. He gets an elite recruit every couple years, and they either are a immediate stud or they don't develop beyond what they were as freshman and they never reach their full potential.

Fire Bono. Hire Askren.

I'd imagine Mirasola twins and Messenbrink would have gone to Wisconsin if Askeen was coach.

• Fire 2

6 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

I'd imagine Mirasola twins and Messenbrink would have gone to Wisconsin if Askeen was coach.

Messenbrink wouldn't even make it out of conference tourney with Askeen as his coach.  

• Fire 1
  • Haha 2

I wish Hamiti, for one, was a bigger part of the conversation in who will win it all this year. In years past, I thought he needed to lift in the offseason. Now, I don't know. Maybe it isn't fair to expect more from someone competing in one of the toughest weights but do you all think he's hit his ceiling at Wisconsin? What does he need to do to bring home a title?

So, if Bono is let go, who do you get to replace him? Reader? Someone else? Also I am not familiar with who Wisconsin has in their room and how they are set up financially. Unfortunately it appears to me that the Big 10 is a two tiered conference with teams that are the haves and the others who are the have nots. 

• Fire 1

6 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

If Burwick is in a position to graduate early, maybe he would be a good replacement as coach for the Badgers

No way. Wisconsin needs a coach who knows how to successfully navigate the transfer portal 🤣

• Haha 2

i am an idiot on the internet

I think the main issue for whoever is in charge, whether it’s Bono or someone else, is if they can tap into the AWA pipeline of recruits. Clearly, that’s not happening with Bono. I don’t know if it’s fair to say he isn’t a developer of talent. But if he’s only getting mid-level recruits, it might look that way compared to the upper echelon programs.

If UW gets rid of Bono and Askren doesn’t like the new guy, it’s the same issue all over again.

Edited by BuckyBadger
  • Fire 2

There's another thread on Askren, but people have mentioned that the bridge between him and Wisconsin is burned. I would certainly think it's in Wisconsin's best interest to mend that relationship or else miss out on every AWA kid from here on out. Would love to see him get the head coaching gig just for the pure entertainment aspect. 

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, pokemonster said:

There's another thread on Askren, but people have mentioned that the bridge between him and Wisconsin is burned. I would certainly think it's in Wisconsin's best interest to mend that relationship or else miss out on every AWA kid from here on out. Would love to see him get the head coaching gig just for the pure entertainment aspect. 

He will be an amazing coach no matter where he winds up. 

• Fire 1

Mizzou homer here.  Smith will retire sometime.  And yes, I've read all the comments on the other thread about possible Miz assistants taking over.  If that happens, Miz stays status quo.  Askren would take that program to the next level.

Sorry about crashing in.

• Fire 3

5 minutes ago, MidwestMan said:

Mizzou homer here.  Smith will retire sometime.  And yes, I've read all the comments on the other thread about possible Miz assistants taking over.  If that happens, Miz stays status quo.  Askren would take that program to the next level.

Sorry about crashing in.

Everyone says he has no interest in leaving the state of Wisconsin though... Any chance he leaves for Mizzou job?

2 hours ago, poorwrestler said:

Man, if I’m Askren I am not taking on the stresses of being a D1 head coach when I am already loving what I do and rolling in big money with all the camps he’s set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plus he would have people like us being nit picky on everything he does, just like they did with Barry Davis! 

Remember how bent the Wiscy people got when he got black mats?! Lol 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

Plus he would have people like us being nit picky on everything he does, just like they did with Barry Davis! 

Remember how bent the Wiscy people got when he got black mats?! Lol 

I'm sure people on an internet message board would play a big factor in his choice to coach a college team 🤣

I can't see him leaving his current situation either.  Not worth the stress.

• Fire 1