PSU at Iowa match commentary

Just now, swoopdown said:

RBY was quick enough to shoot a low single from an arm back, no tie position.   If he never did it I'd be surprised.  Regardless it was within the rules and the smart thing to do.   

Ok.... but he won a lot of matches against Desanto by similar scores to Ayala-Davis, except Desanto was, you know,  constantly shooting.  He just couldn't solve RBY's defense.  Davis' plan seems to.have been to try to knock Ayala out and run around him? 

4 minutes ago, Gus said:

The Mesenbrink “break my leg defense” on a single leg is akin to the Peyton Hall defense. They put themselves in a danger position to get a restart. Red should just let it play out if they put themselves in that position. 

Never gonna happen. A ref will never, should never, decide if someone "deserves it".

• Fire 5

1 minute ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Never gonna happen. A ref will never, should never, decide if someone "deserves it".

I agree. It's lame, but it's one of those things... I'm not sure what can be done about it. He will hurt himself at some point doing that. 

3 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

It’s clear when Mesenbrink and Peyton Hall are using that defense that they are putting themselves in that position purposely

• Fire 1

I think Davis adjusts and supasses Ayala at Big Tens and NCAA.

Nagao Schreiver went about as expected as possible

Bartlett looked sharp. Woods looks like hes HEW.

Kasak will surpass Rathjen like Davis will surpass Ayala

I dont know what Vak was grumbling about Haines looking big. To me he looks skinny. The opposite of big.

Messenbrink is just plain better than Cliendo

Starrocci looked bored and disinterested. Didnt look like he was trying in the 3rd.. and honestly didnt need to.

Truax match was boring. Wasnt too impressed. I think Arnold would beat Truax.

Glazier held position didnt try to score. Brooks wrestled safe as the dual was already wrapped up. If he needed to open up (which he obviously didnt need to) would have definitely been a major or tech. 

Kirk just plain on a different level and size imo was not a factor. At heavyweight is not a big deal and Kueter is nowhere near a a 197lber. Kirk also wrestled a safe match. If he wanted to blow the doors off he could have.

I literally said in the post you quoted that I was not saying I would predict it.  I think guys are freaked out before the match because of the pace.  Now that he's felt it and didn't melt, he'll feel more comfortable.  Similar thing happened with Desanto.

The many lungers he got because of blood time surely didn’t help with that…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Fire 1

I expected Ayala to win by more than he did.  The few times I've seen him he seemed quicker then Davis and I thought he could leverage that.  Very surprised at his strategy.  It worked ok but I think he would widen the margin if he opened up on Davis.  I need to see the match as I actually had to listen to the first couple of bouts vs seeing them.   Not sure that Davis will do better in a rematch this season. 

'

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, Le duke said:

The many lungers he got because of blood time surely didn’t help with that…

Fair counter. Like I said, we'll see. I said it before, i love Mesenbrink, wish he was a Hawk.

• Fire 1

5 minutes ago, BIGTENFANBOY said:

I think Davis adjusts and supasses Ayala at Big Tens and NCAA.

Nagao Schreiver went about as expected as possible

Bartlett looked sharp. Woods looks like hes HEW.

Kasak will surpass Rathjen like Davis will surpass Ayala

I dont know what Vak was grumbling about Haines looking big. To me he looks skinny. The opposite of big.

Messenbrink is just plain better than Cliendo

Starrocci looked bored and disinterested. Didnt look like he was trying in the 3rd.. and honestly didnt need to.

Truax match was boring. Wasnt too impressed. I think Arnold would beat Truax.

Glazier held position didnt try to score. Brooks wrestled safe as the dual was already wrapped up. If he needed to open up (which he obviously didnt need to) would have definitely been a major or tech. 

Kirk just plain on a different level and size imo was not a factor. At heavyweight is not a big deal and Kueter is nowhere near a a 197lber. Kirk also wrestled a safe match. If he wanted to blow the doors off he could have.

I've got more hope for Kasak, less for Davis this season.  If Davis holds weight he may pass Ayala but not this year.  Hope I'm wrong.

Bartlett and Woods looks like  it's still a toss up.  Not giving up TDs to Real is very impressive, but one night does not show that Beau has jumped levels.  hints that 1st TD wins.

• Fire 1

I've got more hope for Kasak, less for Davis this season.  If Davis holds weight he may pass Ayala but not this year.  Hope I'm wrong.
Bartlett and Woods looks like  it's still a toss up.  Not giving up TDs to Real is very impressive, but one night does not show that Beau has jumped levels.  hints that 1st TD wins.

The 10-10 match against Nick Lee, and beating Pletcher, Kolodzik and Joey McKenna on the same day don’t show you he’s improved over last year?

• Fire 1

42 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I literally said in the post you quoted that I was not saying I would predict it.  I think guys are freaked out before the match because of the pace.  Now that he's felt it and didn't melt, he'll feel more comfortable.  Similar thing happened with Desanto.

The difference is MM has DeSantos pace and a million different offensive attacks and DeSanto had 1

• Fire 1

his set ups are more sophisticated too

He’ll dive at a leg just to get the other guy to react. To create a wrestling position. It’s very unique.

Got a duck from Caliendo’s front headlock. Was it Musukaev who does that? Wild.

16 minutes ago, Le duke said:

The 10-10 match against Nick Lee, and beating Pletcher, Kolodzik and Joey McKenna on the same day don’t show you he’s improved over last year?

Good point.  That was a good day at the office. 

9 minutes ago, Le duke said:

He’ll dive at a leg just to get the other guy to react. To create a wrestling position. It’s very unique.

Got a duck from Caliendo’s front headlock. Was it Musukaev who does that? Wild.

i think it was a drag, but he didn't use his hands, he feigned at the left leg to get the post away and then just shrugged hard as hell

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, VakAttack said:

Ok.... but he won a lot of matches against Desanto by similar scores to Ayala-Davis, except Desanto was, you know,  constantly shooting.  He just couldn't solve RBY's defense.  Davis' plan seems to.have been to try to knock Ayala out and run around him? 

Someone doesnt like tough wrestling

I’m watching “the Dual” episode 1 after seeing tonight’s commercial. I’m convinced now more than ever that Dan Gable and his protégés have created a new language. They use the same words we use in English, but I think the sentences they’re stringing together are only mutually intelligible to one another.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, PortaJohn said:

@ionelyour the duck master so is Gabe Arnold now the official Duck Goat?  

60018891-480px.jpg

I actually thought they'd wrestle him just to get more experience for a chance to beat OSU end of month.  No I wouldn't call it a duck since he is in redshirt and would make no difference in the meet, rankings or otherwise.  But it could've been a pretty duck.  🙂