PSU at Iowa Predictions Thread

I don't believe this will happen, but I give it a solid 35% chance, PSU has a history of underperforming in Carver, and the overtraining bug is definitely going around (ahem Missouri, Michigan, Iowa).  While PSU looked ok against Ohio State, traveling plus a continued overtraining bite could certainly pull this match much closer than people expect.

I don't realistically think it will go down that way, but I remember Mark Hall's Freshman year, that was exactly how that dual went down.  Then PSU blew the doors off of NCAA's, but at least for this match, I think it has a 35% chance of being sneaky close.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, PSULou64 said:

Do we realistically think that both teams will put out all of their starters in this match up?   My guess is that each team holds back at least 1.  I say the Hawks hold back Glazier and PSU holds back Davis.

My reasoning would be an undefeated Glazier gets the 2 seed in the BigTen and pretty much get a chance to surprise Brooks in the finals having no prior experience with him.  With Davis' win over D'agustino, and D'agustino win over Ayala if Davis wins his matches against Rutgers, Nebraska and Edinboro, very doable, he will be the #2 seed with an easier path(maybe even a bye) to the quarterfinals.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?  You have to pick at least 1 from each team and why it would make sense.

Starocci wrestled Kemerer.

Kerkvliet wrestled Cassioppi.

Lee wrestled Eierman.

Bravo-Young wrestled DeSanto.

Joseph wrestled Marinelli.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

6 minutes ago, MPhillips said:

Kemerer wrestled Starocci.

Cassioppi wrestled Kerkvliet.

Eierman wrestled Lee.

DeSanto wrestled Bravo-Young

Marinelli wrestled Joseph.

Kemerer wrestled Hall.

Marinelli wrestled Joseph.

Excellent point even if bass ackward.

125: ayala over davis 3-0 iowa

133: nagao over schriever/teske (if teske 4-3 if schriever 3-3)

141: beau over real but I think they may throw out Evans to lock 1 seed at big 10's 6-3 PSU hoping beau wrestles

149: I think this one will be scrappy but given it to kasak 9-3 PSU

157: gonna go no takedowns but Levi gets riding time 12-3 PSU

165: caliendo leading after first period but gets reverse carvered and majored 16-3 PSU

174: please give us Gabe Starocci, Carter over Gabe 19-3 PSU

184: Im guessing PK wrestles Carter and we get Gabe here which is also exciting but not as exciting 4 for PSU if riggens 3 if PK but could push for 4 PK will be tiny 23-3 PSU

197: major for brooks pushes for tech 22-3 psu

285: tech for Kirk 27-3 psu

I would say Iowa is only a slight favorite at one weight - 125

One true toss-up at 141

PSU slight favorites at 149 and 157

PSU moderate favorites at 133 and 165

PSU heavy favorites 174-285

So it really wouldn’t be that crazy for us to see Iowa get blanked, but I do think they will win 125 and find a way to win one between 141-157. So I’ll say 33-6 PSU

Brands will make sure to have his guys good and beat up for this match. After getting curb stomped by Michigan, they'll react by working harder all week, which will bury them further. Lots of joint braces and KT tape on Friday.

I would say Iowa is only a slight favorite at one weight - 125
One true toss-up at 141
PSU slight favorites at 149 and 157
PSU moderate favorites at 133 and 165
PSU heavy favorites 174-285
So it really wouldn’t be that crazy for us to see Iowa get blanked, but I do think they will win 125 and find a way to win one between 141-157. So I’ll say 33-6 PSU

See, even after a down performance, Real Woods is still the odds on favorite to win NCAAs. He looked like a guy with the flu. Same with Nagao and Starocci, although maybe they are bit further along in their recovery.

I’m a PSU fan through and through, and while I think Bartlett can win, I think it’s 70-30 Woods until I see Beau do the damn thing.

I think Woods might win an ugly one on a riding time point, 2-1, or 5-2 if he gets a TD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, fishbane said:

I thinking it will be worse than that.  PSU 34--1.

Sooo... who'll throw that hissy-fit to get that team point deducted?

(Inquiring minds want to know... )

D3

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

7 hours ago, Le duke said:

See, even after a down performance, Real Woods is still the odds on favorite to win NCAAs. He looked like a guy with the flu. Same with Nagao and Starocci, although maybe they are bit further along in their recovery.

I’m a PSU fan through and through, and while I think Bartlett can win, I think it’s 70-30 Woods until I see Beau do the damn thing.

I think Woods might win an ugly one on a riding time point, 2-1, or 5-2 if he gets a TD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idk… Woods was definitely the better wrestler last year, but to me it hasn’t looked like he improved much. Bartlett on the other hand looks a lot tougher this year. We can’t put too much stock into last year. I’m not a PSU fan, but I have to admit they have a pretty good track record at having their guys ready in March. Even if Beau loses this one, my money would be on him at NCAAs. 

10 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Excellent point even if bass ackward.

Bass or bass?  Asking because my brain is having difficulty reading it because it doesn't know if you mean bass or bass...

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

I think Woods handles Bartlett, tbh, much more often than Bartlett wins.  The only real path I see Bartlett having is 4-1 in OT... because... he is basically Lewan at this point.

I think folks are writing off Woods because of getting handled by Lemley, who Bartlett had just beaten.  A few things to consider...

A - Woods had sat out the previous weekend, if you recall.  Whatever the reason(s) for that, it may have lingered or might have had an effect on his conditioning.  The further we get from that 'break' the closer to form we will see him.

B - This is in CHA folks... if there is one team that has a home advantage due to some form of haunting, 'Tom'foolery, or some other mystic intervention, it's CHA.

C - Woods has already beaten him, was never really in danger in that match, and is still just as good as he was then.

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

Bartlett has never beat Woods.  Woods has much more offense and is a better rider than Beau.  Beau can win if it goes to OT, but he just doesn't pull the trigger enough on offense.

Re: Franek over Haines.  Franek is very good and Haines looks worse than last year.  That is why it's not crazy to pick Franek over Haines.

4 hours ago, Eagle26 said:

Idk… Woods was definitely the better wrestler last year, but to me it hasn’t looked like he improved much. Bartlett on the other hand looks a lot tougher this year. We can’t put too much stock into last year. I’m not a PSU fan, but I have to admit they have a pretty good track record at having their guys ready in March. Even if Beau loses this one, my money would be on him at NCAAs. 

A lot of people are saying this.  I think it comes from the Woods' matches with the largest viewership this year: a somewhat controversial stinker over Echemendia and then the blowout loss vs. Michigan.  In between, he has looked very good at times including a dominant win over Hardy (his toughest regular season match last year) and Lachlan McNeil.

1 minute ago, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

A lot of people are saying this.  I think it comes from the Woods' matches with the largest viewership this year: a somewhat controversial stinker over Echemendia and then the blowout loss vs. Michigan.  In between, he has looked very good at times including a dominant win over Hardy (his toughest regular season match last year) and Lachlan McNeil.

This.  On the flip side Bartlett wins but never dominates anyone.  As someone else said, Bartlett is the 141 pound version of Will Lewan at this point.

13 hours ago, flyingcement said:

125: Drake Ayala dec Braeden Davis 3-0

133: Aaron Nagao dec Cullan Schriever 3-3

141: Real woods fall Karl Shindledecker 9-3

149: Tyler Kasak dec Caleb Rathjen 9-6

157: Levi Haines dec Jared Franek 9-9

165: Mitchell Mesenbrink dec Michael Caliendo 9-12

174: Patrick Kennedy dec Terrell Barraclough 12-12

184: Bernie Truax major Aidan Riggins 12-16

197: Aaron Brooks dec Zach Glazier 12-19

285: Greg Kerkvliet tech fall Bradley Hill 12-24 Nittany Lions 

Karl Shindledecker? He of the 0-0 record.

• Haha 1