Will Starocci come back if....

forkemaz

hmm I was quite young for both of them but at least for me personally I remember watching kyle beat david at WTT and that setting up there all star match and from there it was like the talk of the season I dont recall dean vs Nickal having quite the same hype that could have been because dean took losses and nickal lost to myles at that big 10 I believe but I was not present enough on socials to know how hyped up that was.

• Fire 3

15 minutes ago, peanut said:

Excuse my ignorance, but I thought KOT was headed for his fourth postseason. Has he said whether he’ll go for a fifth?

Ben said on FRL that once mocco graduates keegan will move up to 174. I dont know if thats just his assumption or if they have talked about it. I would assume he will try and enter the 4x champ category especially since its still only his 5th year since he did not redshirt.

• Fire 4

The sad truth is, it'll depend on how much NIL money he can get.

I don't think Starocci makes the 2024 Olympic team. An NIL payday at PSU might be his best option, plus being a 5-timer (if he gets it done) will give his MMA/WWE stock a huge boost.

• Fire 2

10 minutes ago, CHROMEBIRD said:

The sad truth is, it'll depend on how much NIL money he can get.

I don't think Starocci makes the 2024 Olympic team. An NIL payday at PSU might be his best option, plus being a 5-timer (if he gets it done) will give his MMA/WWE stock a huge boost.

If I were Starocci — and I’m definitely not — I’d just go for a world gold at 79kg this year. World champ sounds good to everyone. 

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, PSUDad97 said:

Yeah, I was a bit confused about how Amine got added into this conversation.  Last time I watched a PSU-UM meet, he was getting thoroughly embarrassed by MM.  

Because there is history there.

5 hours ago, Le duke said:

Amine isn’t in the same universe as Carter Starocci. Mike Amine should just STFU. Cam Amine shoudn't be mentioned in the same thread as Starocci.

The only remotely comparable people are KOT and Carter's own teammate, Aaron Brooks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your opinion is noted and I don't necessarily disagree.  That said, what I said is how I think it happens IF it happens.

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

KOT needs to get his 3rd first and CStar his 4th. If that happens and they come back for a 5th tournament next year, I really hope they avoid each other in regular season. Goes against everything I usually want to see, best vs best as often as possible, but for a guy going for 5th title vs guy going for 4th I want them both undefeated and the lead up to that final to be insane. 

• Fire 2

5 hours ago, Truzzcat said:

hmm I was quite young for both of them but at least for me personally I remember watching kyle beat david at WTT and that setting up there all star match and from there it was like the talk of the season I dont recall dean vs Nickal having quite the same hype that could have been because dean took losses and nickal lost to myles at that big 10 I believe but I was not present enough on socials to know how hyped up that was.

I don’t remember exactly either but I’d agree.  Dake/Taylor seemed to be more hyped than Dean/Nickal, but that may have been in part because Dean was expected to win.  Nickal was just a sophomore with no titles yet.

O’Toole going for his 4th vs Starocci going for his 5th would absolutely be the most anticipated NCAA match of all-time, easily.

• Fire 2

I know this is a Starocci thread, but I'm puzzled why everyone is so sure KOT gets another title this year.

I'm sorry, but I have O'Toole's chance of repeating this year at sub-50%.  His record is 1-2 against Carr, a guy who's never had more than one loss in a season (and he already has his loss this year).  Its amazing to me how little respect Carr gets on this forum, with everyone putting him on a different "level" than KOT.  And throw in Mesenbrink, who is a dark horse to upset either/both of them.  And didn't KOT just barely nip Peyton Hall 8-7?

I have KOT and Carr as a toss-up, and MM, although probably a step behind both, is just enough in the mix to put the odds of KOT a little under 50%.

• Fire 5

4 hours ago, BAC said:

I know this is a Starocci thread, but I'm puzzled why everyone is so sure KOT gets another title this year.

I'm sorry, but I have O'Toole's chance of repeating this year at sub-50%.  His record is 1-2 against Carr, a guy who's never had more than one loss in a season (and he already has his loss this year).  Its amazing to me how little respect Carr gets on this forum, with everyone putting him on a different "level" than KOT.  And throw in Mesenbrink, who is a dark horse to upset either/both of them.  And didn't KOT just barely nip Peyton Hall 8-7?

I have KOT and Carr as a toss-up, and MM, although probably a step behind both, is just enough in the mix to put the odds of KOT a little under 50%.

Completely agree. KOT deserves all the respect he gets, but David Carr isn't some upstart. It's not Caldwell vs Metcalf where they wrestled once, it was a fluke, Metcalf stomped him and then he shocked the world. 

He beat him soundly twice last year. And you can't possibly count out Messenbrink. Nobody can match his motor. 

• Fire 1

6 hours ago, BAC said:

No one is disrespecting Carr by hoping for the biggest match in NCAA history.  He's great. This thread is about if KOT wins and Starocci wins, at no point did anyone call Carr a bum or even disparage his chances, we are literally saying if. So enough crying.

• Fire 3

1 hour ago, scourge165 said:

Completely agree. KOT deserves all the respect he gets, but David Carr isn't some upstart. It's not Caldwell vs Metcalf where they wrestled once, it was a fluke, Metcalf stomped him and then he shocked the world. 

He beat him soundly twice last year. And you can't possibly count out Messenbrink. Nobody can match his motor. 

Both are mentioned in the OP.... 

6 hours ago, BAC said:

I think everyone gets this. “Sub 50%” would still make him the biggest favorite, even if it’s something like

O’Toole 45%
Carr 30%
Mesenbrink 20%

The field 5%

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I think everyone gets this. “Sub 50%” would still make him the biggest favorite, even if it’s something like

O’Toole 45%
Carr 30%
Mesenbrink 20%

The field 5%

He beat the bricks off Carr in the finals that guy is just salty.

There isn't another Olympics until 2028 so there's no need to not come back because of that and a first-year MMA fighter would make less than the NIL deal he could get to stay and be the one and only 5-timer. 

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

FIFY, and this is being generous to the field

5% may be generous, but with O’Toole being taken to the brink by Hall, Carr losing to Ramirez, and Mesenbrink being a freshman, I think it’s at least 2 or 3%.

2 hours ago, buckshot said:

There isn't another Olympics until 2028 so there's no need to not come back because of that and a first-year MMA fighter would make less than the NIL deal he could get to stay and be the one and only 5-timer. 

I like you. Now we need O Toole to win his weight which in my opinion is the scariest part of this whole deal.

25 minutes ago, Bigbrog said:

I absolutely love KOT, Carr, MM and Star...but based on the eye test, Star is on his own level...IMHO

I tend to think Carter would win in a one off but that if KOT gets a few shots he may get the one that counts like he did with Carr. Either way this is all I want for Christmas for the next couple years.

• Fire 1