AJ Ferrari to 197

Jimmy Cinnabon

I’d like to see Ferrari and Brooks share the following stats with us fans: denomination; weekly prayers; weekly devotions; weekly religious services or Bible studies; and weekly sins (along with the severity of those sins). That data would help us discuss the possibility that one is more divinely favored than the other. 

When a person uses their platform that they have been given to honor and glorify God it is not because they think that God picks them to beat another wrestler in a wrestling match. What happens when two believers wrestle each other? Who does God pick? But rather everything a regenerated believer does, should be done to bring honor and glory to God. 

56 minutes ago, peanut said:

I’d like to see Ferrari and Brooks share the following stats with us fans: denomination; weekly prayers; weekly devotions; weekly religious services or Bible studies; and weekly sins (along with the severity of those sins). That data would help us discuss the possibility that one is more divinely favored than the other. 

You looking to hand out Hail Marys and our Fathers ?

7 hours ago, SocraTease said:

Toxic religion (especially Christianity) is a real problem in wrestling.  Faith over facts.  Loyalty over truth.  It's fed by narrow individualism, the blind belief in a simplistic struggle of good vs. evil, and all kinds of utter nonsense.  It's been going on for decades and anyone awake and aware enough can see it.  It's amazing that so many people are in denial about this embrace of authoritarianism and religiosity, and the fact that a large swath of international wrestling culture (Russia, Iran, major parts of the U.S., etc.) is extremely reactionary.

It's also there not just in these "Jesus trained" zealots but also in the very culture.    It's embarrassing and dangerous.  We see it with all kinds of figures from Marinelli to Brooks to Nickal, and so many more.  They need something to seize upon to justify and rationalize their "sacrifices," but there is of course no (zero, nada) evidence that the fictions they subscribe to exist.  Evolutionarily, these delusions might help them to believe they are destined to win.  But if you step outside this tiny, ghetto culture and have even a half decent understanding of biology, history, philosophy, or psychology, you will see how delusional it all is.  Ferrari is simply a laughable form of it— a clown like others in a larger community who trump-et themselves in pathological ways.  

I hope you are able to be reflective enough to see the irony to your post's structure, bc it follows the exact same logic path and argumentation that is used by the people you are poo-pooing.

I am barely if at all religious, but I would offer the exact same position for "toxic atheism," which makes assumptions about why people view the world the way they do, and assumes that everything we know in science is the be all end all of our entire existence.  Toxic atheism just places the very mutable malleable body of science as its God.

Our current body of science, which zealous adherents regularly and (arrogantly) assume is unassailable AND complete,  is fantastically incomplete.  Zealotry in this case takes the form of assuming we have the complete "scientific picture" and know everything about everything...then it gets changed within the next 20 years...

The immense irony is that such aggressively pro-science approaches are simply lauding science as the unassailable God, and scientists as their white coat-clad clergy.  This all happens in with a body of work put together by self-motivated and self-serving people who have a documented track record of lying, altering facts, and deceiving the masses for personal gain.  Not unlike the ill-behaving clergy and religious heads of yore and today.  Coincidence?  I think not.

We don't, and in our lifetimes very likely will not have the answers to the universe. The specter of mortality hangs the same for everyone.  How people choose to face that is up to them.  

• Fire 6

50 minutes ago, wrestle87 said:

I hope you are able to be reflective enough to see the irony to your post's structure, bc it follows the exact same logic path and argumentation that is used by the people you are poo-pooing.

I am barely if at all religious, but I would offer the exact same position for "toxic atheism," which makes assumptions about why people view the world the way they do, and assumes that everything we know in science is the be all end all of our entire existence.  Toxic atheism just places the very mutable malleable body of science as its God.

Our current body of science, which zealous adherents regularly and (arrogantly) assume is unassailable AND complete,  is fantastically incomplete.  Zealotry in this case takes the form of assuming we have the complete "scientific picture" and know everything about everything...then it gets changed within the next 20 years...

The immense irony is that such aggressively pro-science approaches are simply lauding science as the unassailable God, and scientists as their white coat-clad clergy.  This all happens in with a body of work put together by self-motivated and self-serving people who have a documented track record of lying, altering facts, and deceiving the masses for personal gain.  Not unlike the ill-behaving clergy and religious heads of yore and today.  Coincidence?  I think not.

We don't, and in our lifetimes very likely will not have the answers to the universe. The specter of mortality hangs the same for everyone.  How people choose to face that is up to them.  

Chuck Klosterman explores these themes in a non-religious way in his book But What If We're Wrong: Thinking About The Present As If It Were The Past

He spends some time on gravity as an example of something that we speak about as a proven scientific fact, but is still just a theory. And it is likely that our future understanding of gravity will be very different from what it is now just as our current understanding differs greatly from what it was not too long ago.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

5 hours ago, Gus said:

When a person uses their platform that they have been given to honor and glorify God it is not because they think that God picks them to beat another wrestler in a wrestling match. What happens when two believers wrestle each other? Who does God pick? But rather everything a regenerated believer does, should be done to bring honor and glory to God. 

Why?

Craig Henning got screwed in the 2007 NCAA Finals.

19 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

We used to go to Indy every year to visit family. Always stopped at St. Elmo's because the wife and daughters had to have that cocktail sauce.

I was there last year; St. Elmo's does not disappoint - and a trip to the "Slippery Noodle" afterwards makes for a great night!

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Gus said:

1 Corinthians 6:20 - For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

So, God didn't actually forgive us of our sins? Jesus was sacrificed as atonement? Kinda lame that an omnipotent diety demands a blood sacrifice. 

• Fire 1

Do you know why Baptists don't have sex while standing?

They are afraid God will see and think they are dancing.

--------------------

What does a Mormon do to show rebellion?

Drinks a cup of coffee.

------------------------

Athiesm is not a religion, just a belief. Religion is a belief. Either is obnoxious when pushed on everyone else.

I do find agnostic and athiestic folks don't seem to try pushing their belief on me.

I don't know that one or any of the others makes for better wrestlers.

” Never attribute to inspiration that which can be adequately explained by delusion”.

3 minutes ago, AgaveMaria said:

Do you know why Baptists don't have sex while standing?

They are afraid God will see and think they are dancing.

--------------------

What does a Mormon do to show rebellion?

Drinks a cup of coffee.

------------------------

Athiesm is not a religion, just a belief. Religion is a belief. Either is obnoxious when pushed on everyone else.

I do find agnostic and athiestic folks don't seem to try pushing their belief on me.

I don't know that one or any of the others makes for better wrestlers.

Agnostic people don't tend to push their beliefs but atheists can be just as annoying and evangelical as deeply religious types.  Live and let live is a concept I take pretty seriously 

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Agnostic people don't tend to push their beliefs but atheists can be just as annoying and evangelical as deeply religious types.  Live and let live is a concept I take pretty seriously 

atheists tend to have pretty superficial intellects, its like a cheat code for looking smart for shallow people. Not all of them of course.

• Fire 3

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

6 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Chuck Klosterman explores these themes in a non-religious way in his book But What If We're Wrong: Thinking About The Present As If It Were The Past

He spends some time on gravity as an example of something that we speak about as a proven scientific fact, but is still just a theory. And it is likely that our future understanding of gravity will be very different from what it is now just as our current understanding differs greatly from what it was not too long ago.

That's cool, I'll definitely give that a look.  

The gravity example is a major part of what I was thinking about.  

I'm not religious but, personally, I think that the Evangelicals and Muslims often make the best wrestlers because they listen to doctrine, coaching or biblical. And because they think it helps, it does. Whether God is actually helping is an open question we won't know the answer to until we die. But whatever that answer is is the reason many people are able to turn their lives around.

• Fire 3

8 hours ago, killdozer said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Brooks & AJ are 2 & 3 seed. Say AJ beats Brooks in the dual and Brooks beats AJ at Big 10. Then someone likes Buchanan or Elam goes undefeated and wins Big XII or Hidlay goes undefeated.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

I like this line of thought, but I imagine Brooks will win both meetings. I see AJ seeded 4th at best.  

9 hours ago, wrestle87 said:

The problem with the strong Kuhnian reading is that the "fantastically incomplete" parts of "our current body of science" are liminal. It's a baby bathwater situation, and Kuhn himself was disturbed by the post-structuralists who read SSR this way. I mean science didn't stop sciencing just because Heisenberg said the better you know the position of an object the less you know about its momentum. 

Yeah, the "new atheists" and their kind are insufferable. But...

4 hours ago, jackwebster said:

So, God didn't actually forgive us of our sins? Jesus was sacrificed as atonement? Kinda lame that an omnipotent diety demands a blood sacrifice. 

I am not sure how you got that out of the verse I shared. God did forgive all sins on the cross. He reconciled himself to mankind through the blood of Jesus Christ. However, reconciliation is a two party process and man must reconcile himself to God. This is done through believing that Jesus died for our sins on the cross, was buried and rose again for our justification. 

”And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation; to wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God. For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.“
‭‭2 Corinthians‬ ‭5‬:‭18‬-‭21‬ ‭KJV‬‬

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, peanut said:

I have no idea what your question means, but yes, probably. 

I’m not surprised that you have no idea.  Ummmmm you wanted to know their sins and severity of their sins.  I’m pretty sure I had to say hail Mary’s and our fathers based on how bad mine were.  Only difference is I had to confess them to a priest to find out how many.  Not someone on a wrestling fan site.