Racist Wrestling Fans

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

It is not... look at the roster ... 36 guys and mostly white - about 13 or so minorities. Will you be switching your narrative in two years when his next two recruiting  classes have 12 white kids and 2 minorities and many of the guys you listed are done? 

I think he mostly just had his math backwards.  He said 16, so 40% not 60%.  Still a lot compared to most other schools I’d imagine.  Some of them are younger but yes a lot are graduating and I don’t recall if there’s much diversity outside of Mason Gibson

41 minutes ago, Spladle88 said:

There are racist fans in every sport, just as there are racist people in all walks of life........wrestling community is no different than any other.......doesn't make it right, it just is what it is.......

Yeah this is pretty run of the mill sports social media comment section stuff. It sucks that there are people like that, but I don't think wrestling is a special case, nor do I know of a solution other than to shame them.

Also, not sure what happened before this clip, but that sequence is 100% Vito and good for Bailey standing up for himself.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, TylerDurden said:

Why not both? 

Parents are the worst thing about youth sports - regardless of the sport.

Something about having kids compete bring out the worst in people (along with being anonymous in the comments section). The only time I see parents acting like complete jerks are at competitions.

I am, of course, the exception to this rule

you have to keep in mind what type of space X is. it skews towards the inflammatory and negative in terms of incentive structures, compared to twitter we love each other on this forum. I don't personally think X should censor words. We are already at a point where you can't use it in any serious way and be taken seriously by anyone, thats the positive side of political correctness. Its not progress to act like certain combinations of syllables are imbued with the power to inflict actual injury.

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

1 hour ago, TylerDurden said:

Why not both? 

Were there any other words that indicated the comment was intended to be racist? If not, then I don't know the intent of the person writing it and can't just automatically chalk up as racism.   I see it directed at most kids who end up throwing a punch  in a match no matter what race they are. 

• Confused 1

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The unfortunate truth is that wrestling is largely remains a rural sport...and this is reflected both in the fanbase and the participants.  And yes, many of those rural fans are racist whether they readily admit or overtly display it.  It's sad and it definitely hinders the growth of the sport.

As a Penn State fan it makes me proud to see how Cael has embraced diverse athletes and how he's allowed them to thrive and propel Penn State to meteoric heights.

The current roster boasts 6 diverse starting wrestlers - 60% of the roster is a racial minority which is almost unheard of in top D-1 programs.  There are another 10 non-starterson the roster who probably identify as URMs: (Dunbar, Evans, Facundo, Garcia, Gibson, Heard, McHenry, Shindledecker, Wang)

133 - Aaron Nagao

141 - Beau Bartlett

149 - SVN (injured)

174 - Starocci

197 - Brooks

HWT - Kerk

And it's no coincidence that these guys also happen to be the best wrestlers on the team!

Look at a program like Iowa...I think they would compete better against Penn State if they increased the diversity of their roster.  Unfortunately, diverse wrestlers know that Iowa isn't exactly the most welcoming place to people of color.  They can do better at a welcoming place like Happy Valley.

How about the Penn St coaching staff?   

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I think he mostly just had his math backwards.  He said 16, so 40% not 60%.  Still a lot compared to most other schools I’d imagine.  Some of them are younger but yes a lot are graduating and I don’t recall if there’s much diversity outside of Mason Gibson

Just Gibson it appears over three classes so far 23-25

https://nittanysportsnow.com/2023/05/penn-state-wrestling-recruiting-a-breakdown-of-2023-24-commits/

https://nittanysportsnow.com/2023/09/penn-state-wrestling-recruiting-breaking-down-the-24-25-classes/

Sponsored by INTERMAT ⭐⭐⭐⭐

5 hours ago, Jimmy Cinnabon said:

The unfortunate truth is that wrestling is largely remains a rural sport...and this is reflected both in the fanbase and the participants.  And yes, many of those rural fans are racist whether they readily admit or overtly display it.  It's sad and it definitely hinders the growth of the sport.

As a Penn State fan it makes me proud to see how Cael has embraced diverse athletes and how he's allowed them to thrive and propel Penn State to meteoric heights.

The current roster boasts 6 diverse starting wrestlers - 60% of the roster is a racial minority which is almost unheard of in top D-1 programs.  There are another 10 non-starterson the roster who probably identify as URMs: (Dunbar, Evans, Facundo, Garcia, Gibson, Heard, McHenry, Shindledecker, Wang)

133 - Aaron Nagao

141 - Beau Bartlett

149 - SVN (injured)

174 - Starocci

197 - Brooks

HWT - Kerk

And it's no coincidence that these guys also happen to be the best wrestlers on the team!

Look at a program like Iowa...I think they would compete better against Penn State if they increased the diversity of their roster.  Unfortunately, diverse wrestlers know that Iowa isn't exactly the most welcoming place to people of color.  They can do better at a welcoming place like Happy Valley.

this the cringiest, posturing, racist, pseudo intellect nonsese I've ever read. You'll never be funny again.

• Fire 2

"Half measures are a coward's form of insanity."

37 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

this the cringiest, posturing, racist, pseudo intellect nonsese I've ever read. You'll never be funny again

I felt like this was the cringiest part .....

37 minutes ago, Hammerlock3 said:

• Fire 3

I Don't Agree With What I Posted

4 hours ago, 1032004 said:

i'm pretty sure he meant 60% of starting lineup but instead said 'roster' 

TBD

1 hour ago, Lunaticfringe said:

What racial mix is Bartlett? I’ve always been curious is he 1/4 black, Hispanic?

Thats the problem these days.  There's a bunch of people I didn't even know were ... fill in the minority ... should it matter, isn't it good if we don't know, don't care or don't focus on that aspect? 

• Fire 2

9 hours ago, Idaho said:

Were there any other words that indicated the comment was intended to be racist? If not, then I don't know the intent of the person writing it and can't just automatically chalk up as racism.   I see it directed at most kids who end up throwing a punch  in a match no matter what race they are. 

I have no idea what other words may or may not have been used. I am not on X/Twitter.

But I'm sure that you're aware that people can say and do racist things even if they don't intend them to be racist, right? A person can say racist things and have no idea that those things are racist because their life experiences haven't shown them that they are indeed racist. It might mean that there isn't malicious intent, but those things are still racism. 

Some might view a situation like this as an opportunity to learn about the historical use of the words of phrases they write on their favorite social media platform and change the way they react to future events, others will brush it off as no big deal. Some will be inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to passive/subtle and not-so-subtle uses of racist language, others won't. 

It's up to each person to make these decisions for themselves. I personally try to treat people with the same respect and dignity that I'd like to treated with. I'm going to give grace to people and allow them to be human and make mistakes, but I can still identify when people are using racist language and condemn it regardless of their intent. 

• Fire 2