All Star Classic

Gus

32 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Here is something a lot of people are acknowledging and I already said the same myself: David Taylor is an excellent commentator.  He may actually be the best out there at the moment 

Meh I really don’t get the love for Taylor as a commentator…

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Lol no worries.  I honestly have no idea how injured he is, but I wouldn’t think he would be playing football, or even do the match at all, if it was serious.  But of course even a minor injury could make a big difference against someone like Kerk.

I personally cringed when I saw the clip of him "playing football."

He hadn't wrestled since U23, correct?

I'll be surprised if he wrestles before January.  Maybe mid to late January.

Edited by Interviewed_at_Weehawken
  • Fire 2

Just now, Interviewed_at_Weehawken said:

He may be, but keep in mind he had the inside scoop on a large number of yesterday's competitors.  I wonder how he would do at the Cy-Hawk for instance?  We will find out with JB this weekend!

It was less about the inside scoop and more about an encyclopedic knowledge of positions, what to do with them, and how to explain them. For example, in the D2/D3 match he was "coaching" the wrestlers through the positions (i.e. telling us what they needed to do to score). And when they failed to do what he was advising he did not turn critical. He also explained these things well and clearly while letting CP run the show.

• Fire 1

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

Just now, Wrestleknownothing said:

It was less about the inside scoop and more about an encyclopedic knowledge of positions, what to do with them, and how to explain them. For example, in the D2/D3 match he was "coaching" the wrestlers through the positions (i.e. telling us what they needed to do to score). And when they failed to do what he was advising he did not turn critical. He also explained these things well and clearly while letting CP run the show.

Smith and Burroughs are pretty good.

• Fire 2

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Meh I really don’t get the love for Taylor as a commentator…

I think he's fine, but perhaps not as great as others are making him out too be.  He's probably my favorite wrestler to watch in the last 15 years, but I also don't have the Nittany Lion fan loyalty anymore, so I am not as starstruck by him as others may be.

32 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I thought he was way over coaching and quite critical constantly. I'm not even saying I disagree with him but David begging these guys to shoot more makes the matches more painful. He just keeps bringing up how they aren't pulling the trigger enough, and I agree it was just annoying me.

Besides the constant coaching where he's essentially talking like he's better than everyone (he is, he just shouldn't come off that way so much) I love him on there. I like the knowledge, and I think he will get better. 

4 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

I thought he was way over coaching and quite critical constantly. I'm not even saying I disagree with him but David begging these guys to shoot more makes the matches more painful. He just keeps bringing up how they aren't pulling the trigger enough, and I agree it was just annoying me.

Besides the constant coaching where he's essentially talking like he's better than everyone (he is, he just shouldn't come off that way so much) I love him on there. I like the knowledge, and I think he will get better. 

I'm sure that he probably thinks everyone should wrestle like him.  It would be great if they all did, but really there is only one DT.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

Yeah I thought the coaching was a bit annoying but overall he was decent.  I just think someone calling him "possibly the best out there" is a major stretch.   Gimme Burroughs, the PSU radio dude, Shane Sparks, RocK Harrison, and I'm probably forgetting others easily.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, forkemaz said:

Interesting that we can hear the same thing differently. Having never wrestled and literally knowing nothing about it, I very much appreciate the coaching. For me it is not over.

• Fire 2

Drowning in data, but thirsting for knowledge

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Yeah I thought the coaching was a bit annoying but overall he was decent.  I just think someone calling him "possibly the best out there" is a major stretch.   Gimme Burroughs, the PSU radio dude, Shane Sparks, RocK Harrison, and I'm probably forgetting others easily.

Shane sparks is my favorite. He's fun, knowledgeable, and he LOVES wrestling

10 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Interesting that we can hear the same thing differently. Having never wrestled and literally knowing nothing about it, I very much appreciate the coaching. For me it is not over.

I would call it similar to Tony Romo. Some love that analysis, others do not.

15 minutes ago, Gus said:

I would call it similar to Tony Romo. Some love that analysis, others do not.

Tono Romo isn't, wasn't, and never will be an all-timer.

Taylor has the potential to be it as not only a competitor, but a coach.  Add in analyst and BLAMMO!  You have a trifecta.

Too bad Dake exists, though.

1 - Dake
2 - Taylor

• Fire 1

"I know actually nothing.  It isn't even conjecture at this point." - me

30 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Jeff Ironhead Byers the PSU guy is very knowledgeable and gives credit where credit is due. However, he screams so damn much he's damn near intolerable.  

Looks like our worst fears from a month ago were confirmed last night and Hendrickson's U23 title came at a very significant cost. He will most likely end his career as a 2x AA with no titles. Barring a Steveson comeback, Kerk will be untouched this year. If he is going to pursue a serious WCAP career then he needs to get out of his own way and pursue surgery + recovery.

This sucks so much. He has been one of, if not the, best technician in all of college wrestling with a flair for sticking everyone and a red-hot prospect making an immediate impact on the senior circuit. Where were you when he nearly broke the world bronze medalist's ribs on a gut ride from hell?

• Fire 2

i am an idiot on the internet

10 hours ago, jchapman said:

How did the 157 matchup look?  Interesting D2-D3 champ matchup.  

9 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Neither guy could get to their offense. Went to TB2.

3 hours ago, Pish said:

Worst match of the night. No score no attempts to score 

D3 kid had multiple attempts , had the leg up in the air and D2 kid dived roll and they scrambled to a stalemate quite a few times so idk where u get the no attempts to score , D2 kid also had 2 committed shots but he didn’t have much of an angle he was coming straight on, and not for nothing but 2 national champs took the match on very short notice , both had to make weight and hop on flights to PA. Credit to both guys for stepping in and taking on a challenge , also always nice to seem D3 keeping d2 in check 

• Fire 3

49 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Big no on Harrison and Sparks, I dont like announcers yelling at me.  A little bit of coaching is ok but after a while .... its why I'd take Hardell Moore everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.  

23 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Tono Romo isn't, wasn't, and never will be an all-timer.

Taylor has the potential to be it as not only a competitor, but a coach.  Add in analyst and BLAMMO!  You have a trifecta.

Too bad Dake exists, though.

1 - Dake
2 - Taylor

I was comparing to Tony Romo's commentating style moreso than his career accolades. He calls out plays before they happen, provides expect coaching type analysis, etc. It is not simply just commenting on the plays that are happening but rather explaining everything that they think is happening and how it could go better.

4 minutes ago, Gus said:

I was comparing to Tony Romo's commentating style moreso than his career accolades. He calls out plays before they happen, provides expect coaching type analysis, etc. It is not simply just commenting on the plays that are happening but rather explaining everything that they think is happening and how it could go better.

Explaining what he (Romo) thinks will actually happen and saying what he (Taylor) thinks guys should do, is a bit different IMO

• Fire 1

11 hours ago, flyingcement said:

184 was satisfying to watch. 

133 was thrilling

165 was frustrating (for Hamiti).  He has stagnated while Olejnik keeps leveling up 

285 was surprising - just how lopsided that was. Not even close 

165.  How much has Hamiti been slowed by injuries? It seems to me that that explained all of last year, which was still an AA year. Granted, injuries don't matter when Olejnik hits that wingspan ankle pick. Wow! 

184.  "Was satisfying to watch" ... the last thirty seconds. It was painful to watch the first 6 1/2 minutes. 

285. Hendrickson looked to have hurt his knee real bad during the finals at U23 Worlds. It was one of those knee tweakers where you wish the ref had jumped in sooner. He gutted out a one-legged Gold Medal because he had built up a big early lead. It surprised me to see him out there last night. I don't think Wyatt is this bad or Greg this good. Cheers!