A.J. Ferrari's case has been dismissed, he will join the Hawkeyes next season

Jimmy Cinnabon

19 hours ago, pawrestler said:

Funny how people point to a few false accusations to support their world view but never reference the *many* sexual assaults that do occur. Says a lot about them. 

First of all, how many alleged sexual assaults were merely the result of misunderstandings between members of the opposite genders regarding what's appropriate conduct?   When folks get in trouble for driving improperly on the road, they are often given the opportunity to take courses and rehabilitate their records, correct?   Would you prefer that folks lose their abilities to drive and register publicly as driving offenders for decades to come?   Are you willing to pay for their survival or would you have them (as consequently unemployed or at least underemployed) people live off of the taxpayers?   Can they afford it?     

Meanwhile, how many people engage in amorously heated activity thinking things are fine only to have one participant change minds sometime thereafter, redefining what happened and even making allegations of impropriety?    Isn't it true that Armie Hammer's accuser dated him for years after the alleged rape occurred, but then turned around and pressed charges for the supposed rape?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/actor-armie-hammer-wont-face-sexual-assault-charge-rcna87166   

• Confused 1

For some reason, the destination link from my previous post is correct but it nevertheless reads incorrectly.  Here's how it's supposed to appear, though:

Property taxes on shacks, trailers, huts, tiny homes  and RVs are lower and worth considering instead of lifetimes shackled by mortgages, lofty property taxes and HOAs (home owners associations and their fees), are they not?   🙂   

19 hours ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Perhaps becoming an outcast contributed to the downfall of Andrew Long ?   Is this article about the Andrew Long who wrestled for Iowa State and such?   The article says he's now deceased, leaving behind questions as to how it happened.   

https://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/article/Five-years-gone-Family-seeks-answers-about-17564520.php

The author's got Iowa State ties and the body's apparently buried in Illinois.   

Different Andrew Long.

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, pawrestler said:

But seriously, unusual events get attention because they *are unusual*. Ask yourself what occurs more, and why you’re more concerned with the unlikely outcome vs the most likely. 

Are you saying most rape accusations nowadays are fully truthful?   If so, what's your basis for that assessment?   Ann Coulter would take issue with your reasoning, I bet...

https://anncoulter.com/2014/12/17/one-in-five-people-who-write-for-rolling-stone-are-morons/

EXCERPT:

"We are truly in the middle of a rape epidemic: an epidemic of women falsely claiming to have been raped. It’s said that “women never lie about rape!” But the evidence shows that women lie about rape all the time -– for attention, for revenge and for an alibi. All serious studies of the matter suggest that at least 40 percent of rape claims are false. The U.S. Air Force, for example, examined more than a thousand rape allegations on military bases over the course of four years and concluded that 46 percent were false. In 27 percent of the cases, the accuser recanted. A large study of rape allegations over nine years in a small Midwestern city, by Eugene J. Kanin of Purdue University, found that 41 percent of the rape claims were false."

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform

I think we’ve reached an impasse; we aren't going to have a productive conversation here. Ann ‘rape isn't really rape unless the victim has been "hit on the head with a brick”’ Coulter is not a serious or unbiased journalist in any way especially on this topic. I also find it spectacular that you / Ann used a 30 year old study that used unreliable methods to make inferences on ‘nowadays’. 

• Fire 2

Ann Coulter's reasoning & research skills are considerable.  She didn't get to practice law by being a twit.   As for research, it costs to create it.  Not just money, either.   There are those who hate anyone who threatens their political narrative about what victims certain groups of folks supposedly are.    There are costs involved with opposing such people, who often have too much time on their hands and who get offended easily.   

You might want to ask Dan Masterson's daughter what she thinks about the ease with which men can be maligned and convicted based on a purported rape victim's (money-motivated) testimony.    

Remember Iowa's former wrestling star Jordan Holm?   He maintains his innocence after serving nearly 7 years in prison for rape.   I seem to recall that the allegation was that he woke up in someone else's bed next to a gal, performed an oral favor on her, and then discovered she had a guy with her.   She expressed disapproval and he allegedly got out of the bed and ran away.    After serving his prison sentence and resurrecting his wrestling career (for a while), he referred to modern DNA analysis to show that his DNA was not even found on her private parts.    This is the most recent article I've found on the request for a new trial (which I presume was denied?):

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/crime-and-courts/2017/06/29/former-uni-wrestler-convicted-sexually-assaulting-university-iowa-student-seeking-new-trial/440406001/

As for former Idaho state rep. Von Ettinger (an Afghanistan war vet.), it appears that the purported rape victim has been on a (thus far lucrative) suing spree:

https://www.idahostatesman.com/news/local/crime/article272961640.html

Notice how she wouldn't even testify (under oath) at trial about the alleged acts of the accused? 

If what she claims happened really did, then I certainly sympathize with her.   Sexual encounters spread diseases and can lead to unwanted pregnancies.   If she lied (and continues doing so, for $$$) though, it goes to further show the rest of us why it's important to refrain from conduct that can be claimed to be a violation.   If one participant doesn't fully trust the other, it seems best to remain Platonic friends.   And who fully trusts anyone else with one's freedom & future nowadays?    Sigh...    

That said, may A.J. Ferrari have a successful future.   And may we all remember the examples of less fortunate folks whom I've gone to considerable trouble to find and share in this forum thread in hopes that we'll be sufficiently precautious and avoid having to make the tremendous sacrifices of former wrestlers such as Iowa's Jordan Holm.   

Meanwhile, supporting women's wrestling seems helpful at reducing women's vulnerabilities to such hazards.    

5 minutes ago, Jason Bryant said:

Unless you’d frequented old Virginia forums 20 years ago, it’s unlikely you’d know who it is …

You’re probably right. Besides I’m just a public high school coach. My opinion doesn’t matter.

My irrelevant opinion of Title IX has been changed by this thread. Is what it is. 

1 hour ago, bnwtwg said:

Why would TnT have any problem with an individual who has gone through legal due process of a charge sexual in nature? Young legally adult aged men will just be legally adult aged men after all.

https://case-law.vlex.com/vid/brands-v-sheldon-community-892105121

Wrestling, like sports in general, can enable us to inspire troubled youth to pursue more productive paths.  A former coach at my high school used to predict how successful a high school football team would be by how much trouble its participants got into as 8th & 9th graders.   We can send troubled youth to jail, or relegate them to the career advancement sideline malaise while nevertheless demanding tax dollars from them, or we can welcome them to the wrestling community and try to help them achieve their potential.   I'm glad that Gable Stevenson & Dylan Martinez were given the chance to progress in society, aren't you?   Gable subsequently won Olympic gold, as you recall.   

https://apnews.com/general-news-1221944d273eb2cdb0d285de3d665b3f

May A.J. Ferrari achieve his full potential too.

Edited by TitleIX is ripe for reform

8 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Wrestling, like sports in general, can enable us to inspire troubled youth to pursue more productive paths.  A former coach at my high school used to predict how successful a high school football team would be by how much trouble its participants got into as 8th & 9th graders.   We can send troubled youth to jail, or relegate them to the career advancement sideline malaise while nevertheless demanding tax dollars from them, or we can welcome them to the wrestling community and try to help them achieve their potential.   I'm glad that Gable Stevenson & Dylan Martinez were given the chance to progress in society, aren't you?   Gable subsequently won Olympic gold, as you recall.   

They only want it to help young men if it doesn’t impede the “proper” teams/kids. Is what it is

• Stalling 1

33 minutes ago, TitleIX is ripe for reform said:

Bingo.

• Fire 1

i am an idiot on the internet

26 minutes ago, Formally140 said:

They only want it to help young men if it doesn’t impede the “proper” teams/kids. Is what it is

That's sad to hear, but at least the internet's enabling wrestling to gain ground on that front.   In cyberspace we can circulate lists of successful football players who wrestled, for example.   We can generate and circulate success stories for participants in our individualized sport, too.   We're becoming increasingly aware of how incarceration is a less-than-ideal answer relative to sports opportunities.   

That said, I've been told by another academic that nowadays, in students' minds sports tend to play second fiddle (if that) to cellphones.   If students were learning marketable skills that way, it'd be one thing.  But they're apparently just playing around, without getting the cardiovascular exercise and social interaction that taxpayers spend so much money to make available in our school systems.   It must be disappointing to coaches and boosters.   😞